LANDTANK fan clutch for S/C 1FZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Rick and I go back a long way and I have always admired his "gadgets". He has come up with a way to run a stock fan on a supercharged 1FZ without using spacers or creating other clearance issues.

He takes a diesel clutch that has a "stem" that is ~8mm taller than stock and machines out the inside of that stem to allow it to fit a 1FZ water pump hub. The net result is the stock blade gets pulled far enough back from the radiator so that it will not contact it and just far enough forward to clear the blower drive components.
I obtained one from him (I paid for it by the way, no monkey business here;)) and have been evaluating it on my 93 with a factory three row radiator. I have an inch and a half between the blade tips and the rad core and ~3/16 inch between the back of the blades and the blower belt tensioner. That does not sound like much but the blades will flex away from that stuff, not toward it. This is a brilliant solution in my view.
I did not take any photos of the install process because it is no different than a "normal" clutch replacement but I will take some to show fitment. Rick may also have some photos he can add to the mix.

All in all pretty damn cool, so to speak...:lol:

Last edited:
If you have a TRD supercharger you do.

I have the other one that Dan got. Mine has turned into a larger project so I wasn't able to complete this when I had hoped. I like the Orange hub. Not easily confused ;)

I'm going to mark on the clutch itself the date, CST and LT. Just in case I forget :p

If you have a TRD supercharger you do.

In the middle of the install process. Just put my 3FE fan and spacer in, but that's easily undone. This seems like the ultimate solution.

I am really liking it.

Makes a ton of sense. Is yours modded with different fluid or temperature set points?

Rick hot rods it in the same manner he does with his other clutch.

Nice. Also, what's the part number for the original fan clutch studs? Some of us may have tossed or boogered up our original studs while installing the longer TRD studs... not that I know anyone in that boat...

While not officially serviced I have discovered one that works perfectly. 90116-08112.

It eliminates the spacer and the need for longer studs in the water pump hub.

As a side note I am not comfortable running a 3FE fan on a 1FZ engine. The 1FZ has a ~1,000 higher rpm limit and I am not excited to spin a 3FE fan that fast. Of Course YMMV.

It allows you to retain the stock fan which is larger and fits the shroud tighter. This should provide better airflow over the radiator for supercharged engines.

As a side note I am not comfortable running a 3FE fan on a 1FZ engine. The 1FZ has a ~1,000 higher rpm limit and I am not excited to spin a 3FE fan that fast. Of Course YMMV.

Is the water pump actually moving faster? Might be a different size crank and water pump pulley.

Pulley diameters are similar.

Possible issue but seems like that combo has field tested pretty well.

Like I said, personally I am not comfortable with it. Agreed that combo is in use and may be just dandy. It scares me.

What drove me to look for a solution that allowed the use of the stock fan was the common complaint that SC engines run hot while their TC counter parts did not even at higher boost.

The fact that the stock fan got changed out during the installation process seemed to be a likely candidate for being the culprit. However definitive data is likely months away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom