Greater Boston area owners thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where is the permit acquired from? One of the NPS stations? I've been to the cape many times just never to the dunes.

I don't have a date in mind. Open to options.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have an '05 and live in Hamilton. I have a pass to drive on Sandy Neck Beach in Barnstable and that's a lot of fun. I have not been on the beach in the National Seashore but would like to.

We spend a lot of time in Vermont exploring backroads, including the Class IVs which can be fun. This fall I participated in the Vermont Overland Rally with my friend in his LX. Lots of fun and pretty accessible even for barely built trucks.

Finally, I am a member of Yankee Toys but I have not joined them for any events yet. Seems like a bunch of good guys with lots of cruiser knowledge (less in the 100 series) and technical (driving and mechanical) skill.

Cheers.

Actually now I remember. I tried to get a ORV permit a few years ago, and its almost impossible to get summer time because of birds nesting. The ranger told me they hav not issued an ORV permit in many years. So I'm not sure, maybe he was speaking for summer months?

Usually the area around Race Point is open but the stretch from Welfleet to Truro is closed a bit for the plovers. Usually some of June and July. Same goes for Sandy Neck.

Hi all,

I have an '05 and live in Hamilton. I have a pass to drive on Sandy Neck Beach in Barnstable and that's a lot of fun. I have not been on the beach in the National Seashore but would like to.

We spend a lot of time in Vermont exploring backroads, including the Class IVs which can be fun. This fall I participated in the Vermont Overland Rally with my friend in his LX. Lots of fun and pretty accessible even for barely built trucks.

Finally, I am a member of Yankee Toys but I have not joined them for any events yet. Seems like a bunch of good guys with lots of cruiser knowledge (less in the 100 series) and technical (driving and mechanical) skill.

Cheers.

Welcome, I've looked at the Yankee Toys section and it seems like a good bunch of guys so I might have to join up for a run sometime. I'm not going to do much to this LC in the way of mods but I'm sure it'd be good to get to know those guys. I frequent southern VT but mostly during ski season but I might be up for a run up there at some point if it's accessible as you say.

In the mean time, good to see some more LC's from the area.

99 owner in Rhode Island, checking in.

Good to hear from RI, you guys are too close to ignore haha.

Hey guys, for what it's worth, I've had good experiences with Watertown Toyota. I had the sunroof gasket/weatherstripping replaced today (I know, right AFTER the nor'easter) and over the phone they seemed to have much more of a plan than other dealerships when we were talking about diagnosing the leaking. I'm not going to have them go any farther with this for now, but at least they seem to have a process if/when I decide to track down whatever is causing a very slight musty smell in my car.

^ Good to hear. I brought mine in to Nashua Toyota today for it's 5K mile oil change and also had them lube the driveshaft. Fixed the driveshaft clunk. This is so inexpensive that I think I'm just going to make it part of the 5K oil change service. Total out the door $61 ($40 for oil change, $21 for driveshaft lube). Also chatted with my service advisor about the pending timing belt and he said to let him know when I was ready and he would talk to the manager about getting me a discount and a free loaner for the day. Pretty happy so far. No sales tax helps too!

^ Good to hear. I brought mine in to Nashua Toyota today for it's 5K mile oil change and also had them lube the driveshaft. Fixed the driveshaft clunk. This is so inexpensive that I think I'm just going to make it part of the 5K oil change service. Total out the door $61 ($40 for oil change, $21 for driveshaft lube). Also chatted with my service advisor about the pending timing belt and he said to let him know when I was ready and he would talk to the manager about getting me a discount and a free loaner for the day. Pretty happy so far. No sales tax helps too!

That's not bad, but lube was no charge for me with the oil change at $35 so I'd take a look into that, not the biggest part of the bill but worth thinking about in another 5K miles. I'm planning on doing as many of my own changes as possible so I'll probably look into a grease gun and go from there.

I still have an odd clunk that appears sometimes (even after the recent lubing). If you wouldn't be opposed, I might ask for a quick ride around the block to see how another 5spd sounds to see if I'm just paranoid. It's only under certain circumstances which leads me to believe it's not the drive shaft. I've also thought about a trans fluid change despite the fact that Mr. T doesn't specify one.

Last edited:
^Ha that's interesting. Either I got ripped off or you got a great deal. Acton Toyota near me also charges $22 for the driveshaft lube. I wouldn't be a good example for you to benchmark - even with all the lubing, my driveshaft still makes noise, albeit less.

Question for the group - what are you guys running for tires? I bought AT Revo 2s when I got the truck in 2010 and I haven't loved them in the snow like I thought I would. It's my wife's DD and we do few highway miles on it, but it will be our family ski vehicle so I want a tire that is good for AT, but excels in winter conditions. Will be replacing soon, and looking for opinions.

I know there are a thousand tire threads on here but want to get some insight from people who know the kinds of conditions I'll be in.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

My shaft needs lubing.

I was wondering how long it was going to take before this headed downhill..... :)

In response to tires, I'll be in the same boat next year. I just got the LC so I can't say I have experience comparing, but I like the way the current Toyo OC AT's handle and if they are good in the snow I'll probably get another set. I don't want anything too aggressive, but I'll probably consider the BFG KO2's and the Duratracs as both seem well liked on here.

Let us know what you choose and how you like them. I'm looking forward to the next snow personally, bring it on!

So it looks like we're going to get some skiing in the weekend after Christmas up at Mt. Snow (providing conditions look promising). Anyone going to be up there getting some turns in?

Have fun! We'll be up at Mt. Washington - Bretton Woods.

I'm in the boonies compared to you guys, but I get into Boston quite a bit. It's always fun squeezing along memorial drive between Harvard and MIT - most respect the size of the 100 and get out of the way :) I see quite a few 100's in Needham where I work a couple of days a week, but doubt they are enthusiasts - mostly Mom's carting the kids to soccer practice.

I'd love to do some trails up in NH or the dunes on the Cape. I have 3 kids under 12 and we love to camp too. I'd love to see what Yankee Toys has going on, but I'm not into rock crawling and I think that's what they mostly do?
Hey guys my name is Will and am a member of Yankee Toys. We are a diverse group of Toyotas along with a few other makes (jeep, Suzuki, Pinzgauer ). We have a few club runs throughout the year that cater to all levels of wheeling, from mild to wild. So feel free to check us out next season and join is in a run.

Hey all! Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents on the whole "Dune Bashing" idea. Just so you understand, the actual driving in the dunes is highly frowned upon and come with heavy fines. You might even get you arrested in some of the towns. Most permits are usually seasonal and only allow wheeling on beach fronts typically. You buy them and can go pretty much anytime. They do inspect your vehicle to make sure you have certain equipment. There are marked roads that cut over dunes, but access to those is limited. You need to check with the stations before using them. Yes, they close down parts of the beaches for the birds and weather that includes high tides. I frequent Sandy Neck at all times of the year. Its a lot of fun, but I don't really consider it a huge "wheeling challenge".

Hello all, new to the North Shore area. We just moved up from NC so my wife could take a new job in Cambridge. We've picked Reading and are settling in.

We have a 99 built 100 series for adventuring and an 06 100 for DD. Thankfully, wife takes the train into the city!

We've met a lot of great people from MUD around the county on our travels (including Woody) and hope to do the same here!

I'd look forward to any adventures for skiing, cape driving, camping or anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom