Builds Rub A Dub Dub, Pablo's Got A New Tub!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most dealers would beat the $197 price on an OEM front bumper. $175 (without shipping) is about what a dealer will charge (if he likes you).

@PabloCruise Where are the updates sir?

Oh man, fair enough question!

I was holding out because I did a nice write-up for Toyota Trails and turned it in to Stan.

At this point I think the only logical conclusion is that this story is not the type of content he is looking for these days.

I guess I should crank away with the updates here. I always like to give the Trails the scoop on content before it appears here...

Oh man, fair enough question!

I was holding out because I did a nice write-up for Toyota Trails and turned it in to Stan.

At this point I think the only logical conclusion is that this story is not the type of content he is looking for these days.

I guess I should crank away with the updates here. I always like to give the Trails the scoop on content before it appears here...

Update away!

Looking forward to it. :popcorn:

Before:

40 Tub 014.jpg

Thank you TJ!

Ha ha, you are welcome! That was kind of a lame expansion on the thread. I thought I would get a chance to post some serious updates this week during work from home, but stuff really blew up at work and just now hoping to get some time.

Since we are all faced with some changes to our plans (COVID), let's dig in for a Cruiser tale, shall we?

I will never forget the first time I first recognized a Land Cruiser; it definitely changed my life! My first Cruiser encounter was with an FJ-40 - the perfect classic. The 40 that first caught my eye a few years ago would later become mine. Here is the story of my first Cruiser…

In the year 2000, I moved to the foothills outside of Golden, Co. One winter day it began snowing and I was getting ready to go out and shovel the driveway. I looked outside and saw this cool little truck-like vehicle pull into my drive. There was a snowplow on front, and a dog running next to the vehicle. As I watched, the old-timer driving what would become my 40 dropped the blade and proceeded to scrape my drive clean. I went out to thank him and learned that he was a neighbor who liked taking his Cruiser out in the snow and plowing driveways in the community. He was a widower and enjoyed being out in his Land Cruiser that he had bought new in 1978. Later that day, the 40 was parked on the side of the road with the hood up – not a good sign! My new neighbor told me the water pump had failed and the engine overheated. I asked him what he was going to do? He said his kids were always asking him to move into town, they were afraid he was going to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and die. Now that the 40 had broken down, they wanted him to move closer into town and give up his Cruiser. With a sigh, he told me he was afraid he would have to scrap the 40.

I had no knowledge of the Toyota Land Cruiser heritage, but I had enough automotive experience to know that this 40 was something special and should not be scrapped. I told him I thought he should sell it to me and give me a shot at getting this fine machine back on (and off) the road! We negotiated a fair price, and I purchased my first Toyota Land Cruiser. For some reason, the purchase of a vehicle that did not run, that I knew nothing about seemed completely reasonable!

After I got the 40 to my house, I started a careful inventory of this strange new vehicle. I loved the simple, rugged design. This 40 had only one previous owner, and other than adding the snowplow, he had not modified her too much. She had been used, and used hard. This 40 would be the opposite of “gently used”. It would take a lot of work to bring her back into good shape, but many of the original touches were still there. The 40 still wore her original paint, but some of the classic 40 rust had begun.

My research on Land Cruisers soon led me to the TLCA, Birfield.com and the infamous LCML! It would be a few years before I would sign up on ih8mud.com. I couldn’t believe the enthusiasm for Land Cruisers and the wealth of information available for these vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom