Cooper A/TW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Here is Cooper's new all terrain A/TW. It's an all weather all terrain tire that appears to be heavily based on the AT/3. It has good reviews on Consumer Reports (I know, I know), which also gives good ratings on the AT/3. Overland Journal also rates the AT/3 very highly, well ahead of many old standbys. Now, I have direct experience with Nokian's all weather tires, and those are excellent. IMO they are what all season tires should have been from their start a couple decades back. Given the good press, I suspect these Coopers will kick butt.

Here's a picture of the 275/70R18 that are going on the 09.
cooperatw.jpg

Thank you for posting these! Seems like a very good alternative for us that have to deal with snow during the year.

Looks like a good option. Installed pics?

bjowett, did you get these installed? I'm sure your business demands most of your time and I don't mean to hound you :)

As you know I'm considering the TRD Rock Warriors to build a set of winter/off-road wheels. At the same time a good all-season tire might fit the bill on the ho-hum stock rims. What I'm trying to avoid is the increased weight and tire pressure going with non-spec tires, i.e. E LT's, unless I have a stockish set for long highway road trips.

It may be completely silly trying to look for a balance in a vehicle that is at the far end of the spectrum already!

Lots of sipes I bet they rock in the snow

I have not driven them on the cruiser, yet. Probably bolt them up next week. There is a set on my father's Tacoma, have some decent miles there, they work well on pavement and dirt roads, ride nice, handle nice. Snow arrives tomorrow.

Lots of sipes I bet they rock in the snow

That's what I'm hoping. I need to look closer and also compare available sizes vs. the stock tire size, and the A/TW weight vs. the stock tire weight. If it varies significantly, in the end I should just build up a second set of wheels.

bjowett, did you get these installed? I'm sure your business demands most of your time and I don't mean to hound you :)

As you know I'm considering the TRD Rock Warriors to build a set of winter/off-road wheels. At the same time a good all-season tire might fit the bill on the ho-hum stock rims. What I'm trying to avoid is the increased weight and tire pressure going with non-spec tires, i.e. E LT's, unless I have a stockish set for long highway road trips.

It may be completely silly trying to look for a balance in a vehicle that is at the far end of the spectrum already!

I've looked into the "stock" on highway option and everything points to MicHelin LTX MS2's, price versus wear versus outstanding performance even in snow.

I've looked into the "stock" on highway option and everything points to MicHelin LTX MS2's, price versus wear versus outstanding performance even in snow.

Last I looked, they are not available in our "stock" size. That said, the Michelin's were the OEM tires on the 80 and were great tires. I saw a LX570 at the dealer, looked like it had Michelins on it, albeit 20".

After many weeks in the mountains with these tires so far I have to say I'm pleased. The performance in snow and ice is great, I have to push it to get them to break free, they will but they don't want to. On the negative side they took a fare bit of weight to balance, and they do have a "hum" to them. The ride is much improved over the 18" Nitto's, even though the Coopers are LT "E", but this also has something to do with going to 17's. Despite the weight to balance, they run very smooth and are comfortable. For such a modest looking tire, I wasn't expecting the tire noise, more than the TG's, which were surprisingly quiet.

We'll see how they hold up and perform over time. Thanks to Brian for the recommendation.

I'm running the A/TW in a 275/70R18. They are about the same as my BFG KO2 on my 100 series (315/75r16). Both are good all seasons but they will slide on the ice. Still want to find some studs to run during the winter up here (Anchorage). If I were buying again I would get the KO2 over the A/TW. KO2 looks better IMO and is actually quieter even though the 100's are a larger size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom