24v BJ42 - Intermittent brake lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Having an issue with my brake lights on my 1982 BJ42 (24v). Occasionally the brake lights are not lighting up when I hit the brake pedal. If I tap the pedal a few times the lights will then come on. All the other lights on the truck work; including the taillights. I took the taillights lenses off and pulled the bulbs out. No sign of corrosion there.

I am by no means an electrical expert; far from it. I'm thinking it may be an issue with the switch or maybe a grounding issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

EDIT/FIX: I ended up replacing the brake switch - works perfectly now.

Part Number: 84340-22072
Price: $56.00 CAD

Last edited:
Have a look at the switch above your brake pedal. It is probably sticking or broken.

When you put your foot on the brake pedal, the first bit of pedal movement should take the pressure off the switch whereupon internal spring pressure (within the switch) should close the switch-contacts and light up your brake lights.

Conversely ....When the pedal-spring brings your pedal back up (after you've finished applying the brakes), the final pedal movement should open the switch contacts and turn off your brake lights.

:beer:

Thanks for the info lostmarbles! I took at a look at the switch. It does move back and forth when I move the pedal. Maybe the contacts are worn out inside? The rubber boot that is mounted on the pedal is also making contact with the switch.

I think on Monday I will head to Toyota and get a new switch priced out.

Make sure it is faulty first before replacing it.
PedalSwitch.jpg

One side of the switch should be live all the time (fed from your 15A STOP/HORN fuse) and the other should get power only when the pedal is depressed.

But if you unplug the nearby connector for this switch, just use an ohms setting (on your multimeter) to watch when the contacts make and break.

PedalSwitchConnector.jpg

If you do indeed need to replace it, the part number of your switch is apparently 84340-22072 (and I can find them for sale easily enough in Internet searches).

Ah, you're the best lostmarbles! I really appreciate your help. I'll grab a multimeter tomorrow or Monday (I know, still haven't bought one yet :p) and check the switch. In the mean time, if I disconnect the switch and bridge the connection on the connecter (not the switch side of the connector but the power/battery side(?)); The brake lights should light up...right?

I found that part number online as well for the brake stop switch. It lists it for other vehicles as well; including the FJ60 - which are 12v. My BJ42 is 24v; does that mean it uses a 12v switch? If this is the case; is there something inline that steps it down to 12v before the switch? Or does voltage not matter for this kind of switch?

I'm new to a 24v electrical system; still learning how it works :)

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
.....if I disconnect the switch and bridge the connection on the connecter (not the switch side of the connector but the power/battery side(?)); The brake lights should light up...right?.....

Correct

....... Or does voltage not matter for this kind of switch?.......

Correct again

PS. Glad to be of help

Hi everyone. Having an issue with my brake lights on my 1982 BJ42 (24v). Occasionally the brake lights are not lighting up when I hit the brake pedal. If I tap the pedal a few times the lights will then come on. All the other lights on the truck work; including the taillights. I took the taillights lenses off and pulled the bulbs out. No sign of corrosion there.

I am by no means an electrical expert; far from it. I'm thinking it may be an issue with the switch or maybe a grounding issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there Snow Peak ...I saw your note on looking for a fj 40 ..I have a very rare mint 74 fj 62000 orig mi garage stored and never seen a winter have to part with it call if your interested ...Austin ...Im in the Kootenays of BC....250-367-6176

Hi there Snow Peak ...I saw your note on looking for a fj 40 ..I have a very rare mint 74 fj 62000 orig mi garage stored and never seen a winter have to part with it call if your interested ...Austin ...Im in the Kootenays of BC....250-367-6176

Hi Austin, sounds like you've got a great fj40 there! If you messaged me about 7 months ago, I probably would have been interested :D. After a long search, I picked up a bj42...the one in my sig! Thanks though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom