State Trust Land Permits - YES! You May Need One!! (1 Viewer)

Do you plan to get (*or already have) a valid Arizona State Trust Land Permit?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was listening to the Pinal County Sheriff's frequency on my ham radio on the way home today.

Deputy reported back to the dispatcher "Subject is trespassing on State Trust Land without a permit south of Skyline"

I believe the location was near Florence . . .

BSTS;)

You have to say your traveling to your hunting spot which is on state land. Your not expected to walk twenty miles to get to where you want to hunt. Having a hunting license and carry a 22 you can say your going to hunt rabbits further on.

Personally I don't understand why you have to have a permit to travel on land the people of AZ own. I can understand paying fee for facilities that require maintenance and upkeep. Of course we live in a state where politicians sell the capital building along with others to balance a single year budget. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/09/jan-brewer-arizona-state-capitol_n_1195200.html :meh:

State Trust Land isn't always owned by the state; rather, some of it is rivate and travel is allowed by agreement. Thus the need to manage it and charge associate fees to those that actually use the resulting access.

I believe private land is not the same thing. Just because you have permit you do not have a right to use private land like state trust land. Believe a land owner only has to grant excess across private land if no other excess is available. The land owner has the right to make everything else no excess. That's not the case with State Trust land. Same thing with National Forest except no permit required on most National Forest. By your reasoning only people who use state buildings should pay to maintain them. Or only those with children should pay education taxes. From what I understand State trust land was given to the state at statehood and was to be used for things like education. The cost to maintain these lands should be paid for by everyone. Requiring a permit to simply driving on a all weather road once a year thru a area should not require buying a permit ahead of time. Just think of driving back east and coming to a toll road and not have toll booth. But instead you have a get a permit elsewhere permit.

Agreed - a STL permit is only for land under the pervue of the STL Commission. Also, I may misunerstand what they really mean, wouldn't be a first, but somewhere in reading the details on the STL web site it described managing use/access to certain private lands - e.g., roads crossing ranches - as part of their baileywick. I can't find the piece - though it could be they were talking about managing their leased parcels.

Last edited:
https://land.az.gov/about

Snipped from the above link:

The Trust lands constitute approximately 13% of land ownership in Arizona.
State Trust lands are often misunderstood in terms of both their character and their management. They are not public lands, but are instead the subject of a public Trust created to support the education of our children. The Trust accomplishes this mission in a number of ways, including, through its sale and lease of Trust lands for grazing, agriculture, municipal, school site, residential, commercial and open space purposes.

So what your saying is a private land owner has to grant excess across his property and not charge anybody. But the state on the other hand says this is our private land and you need to buy a permit just for the right to cross it. I say BS. I won't have a problem if all the money collected was used for education but by our state's history of "Bait and Switch" I serious doubt it. Not sure how many remember a couple of elections ago we voted for a 2% sale tax for education. All the state did was reduce that much going to education out of the general fund. In short it was 2% tax for the general fund. Lucky it was only a two year tax and next election when they tried to make it permanent it was voted down. If it's comes to a point I start using these roads I will purchase the permit since not worth going to court for. But I still say it's BS to have to buy a permit just to use a all weather road that crosses the state's private land. Funny everywhere else in the west when the idea of a toll road is brought up it meets with plenty of opposition.

So what your saying is a private land owner has to grant excess across his property and not charge anybody. But the state on the other hand says this is our private land and you need to buy a permit just for the right to cross it. I say BS. I won't have a problem if all the money collected was used for education but by our state's history of "Bait and Switch" I serious doubt it. Not sure how many remember a couple of elections ago we voted for a 2% sale tax for education. All the state did was reduce that much going to education out of the general fund. In short it was 2% tax for the general fund. Lucky it was only a two year tax and next election when they tried to make it permanent it was voted down. If it's comes to a point I start using these roads I will purchase the permit since not worth going to court for. But I still say it's BS to have to buy a permit just to use a all weather road that crosses the state's private land. Funny everywhere else in the west when the idea of a toll road is brought up it meets with plenty of opposition.

It might make a good topic for a Q&A at the next meet. I am admittedly, ignorant on the subject. I honestly had never heard of the STL permit until I joined this club. The only reason I knew about it was because it was mentioned on the old CSC paper club application. I believe we have some people in the club who are familiar with the program and the way it applies to the law and state.

Believe me, you don't want the education I got! I've spoke on this in a couple of Friday night meetings, and am happy to share my experiences in person if anyone's interested. From now on, easier to err on the side of caution and put a reminder 'X' on the calendar when it's due for renewal.

Got mine in the mail last week - simple process

Yep, super easy. Like I said in another thread, i got mine in person in downtown phoenix and it it literally took me 5 minutes.

So here is a question.
I go out that way a lot. Never remember seeing it posted on a sign about needing a permit to cross.

I'm going to go get one now. But here is a question.

If I am traveling out with a buddy in the same vehicle. Do we both need individual passes then? As the term "family" would apply to wife and kids.
I just see this as a loop hole to others being ticketed.

18+ year old: male or female, but in the law it's "family" not "occupants" or "passengers"

Looks like they do state " Driver and Passenger, and 2 under aged" as their car load. Or just a "individual"

I think they are trying to slow down the target shooters out there. And would use about any tactic to do such. So are you falling into it again.
If the op and his passenger had to get one for court. Then I would expect every friend in your vehicle needs to have a permit in their possession while traveling thru state land.

I'm wondering if I can order two. One to cover me. Then also a "individual" to cover a friend that doesn't have one.

The price is cheap. I don't mind. But do they have permit holder names on them?

:(
So here is a question.
I go out that way a lot. Never remember seeing it posted on a sign about needing a permit to cross.

I'm going to go get one now. But here is a question.

If I am traveling out with a buddy in the same vehicle. Do we both need individual passes then? As the term "family" would apply to wife and kids.
I just see this as a loop hole to others being ticketed.

18+ year old: male or female, but in the law it's "family" not "occupants" or "passengers"

Looks like they do state " Driver and Passenger, and 2 under aged" as their car load. Or just a "individual"

I think they are trying to slow down the target shooters out there. And would use about any tactic to do such. So are you falling into it again.
If the op and his passenger had to get one for court. Then I would expect every friend in your vehicle needs to have a permit in their possession while traveling thru state land.

I'm wondering if I can order two. One to cover me. Then also a "individual" to cover a friend that doesn't have one.

The price is cheap. I don't mind. But do they have permit holder names on them?

Basically there are two types of permits - individual or family.

No "me & my buddies" permits are available! :( Everyone in your vehicle has to be your family or have their own permit.

You can download a permit application here:
https://land.az.gov/sites/default/files/RecreationPermit.pdf

You can see a filled out permit earlier in this thread.

Read all about it here

https://land.az.gov/natural-resources/recreational-permits

From the FAQ:

https://land.az.gov/faq/recreational-permit-faq

What is a Family Permit?
Hide Answer
A family permit extends the same privileges and responsibilities as the individual recreation permit, but includes a family unit of two (2) adults and children under the age of 18 years.
Note: The criterion for a family permit is defined by statute; legal questions regarding this statute cannot be answered by Department staff.

What does my Recreation Permit allow me to do on Trust Land?
Hide Answer
Your recreation permit allows you to enjoy non-consumptive recreational activities including: hiking, horseback riding, bicycling, picnics, photography, bird watching, sightseeing, camping (limited to 14 days per year), and limited off highway vehicle use (restricted to designated roads and trails), for non-commercial and non-competitive purposes.
A Trust Land Recreation Permit does not permit target shooting, paintball, airsoft, recreational flying (i.e. ultralite aircraft), vehicular 'rock hopping', sand railing, fireworks, or congregating in groups larger than 19 people . Visiting prehistoric and historic cultural or archaeological sites, Metal detecting, Collecting or removing natural products (rocks, stone, soil, fossils, mineral specimens, cacti, saguaro or cholla skeletons, plants (live or dead), or firewood for home use, are all prohibited. Nor does it permit any activity that would otherwise be illegal or conflict with local laws or ordinances. A Recreation Permit does not authorize use of non-state lands such as military, federal, Tribal, or private lands.

grabbed mine earlier this week while I was downtown for other fun activities. Easiest thing you could ever do with the state government

grabbed mine earlier this week while I was downtown for other fun activities. Easiest thing you could ever do with the state government
Yep, this is what I did, so much faster and easier than the hassle of dealing with forms and mailing it and all that jazz.

x6VZ4OB.jpg

Out with Millie the Adventure Dog again this evening and found ourselves back out by Table Mesa Rd. There's now a VERY prominent State Trust Land sign out there just off the I17 exit before you even hit dirt announcing without question that you need a STL permit to enter. Also, in the background, you can see the billboard which has been posted which states that FR41 has been closed for the time being. Unsure why, no explanation but it's very clearly marked now.
wsr8tu.jpg

I would imagine they got a number of complaints from all the tickets on Table Mesa East, and I'm still curious if it's marked or not on the East headed West - which I kinda doubt. No way to check though without trespassing.

the reason FR41 is closed is a huge wash-out that is impassable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom