Fodee build "Where it's at" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the rear is a ff then do rear. Alot of work to put a smaller diff in front. I like the thought of running IFS hubs and running tundra brakes and get back the width of the 80 rear. You can never have enough brakes for these pigs.

Great build.

Rear is an FF out of my '94. Front is currently a 40 housing lengthened on the long side. This makes it a 60 series width. Mini truck knuckles, 60 series rotors, 60 series TREs, mini IFS calipers, mini long side shaft/birf, 40 short side shaft with mini birf, and asin locks.

The plan would be to keep the housing and 9.5 3rd, cut the knuckle balls off, then attach knuckle balls from the front 80 housing. Which would allow me to run 80 knuckles, birfs, brakes, etc.

Just not sure if the gain is great enough to justify all that work.

If you look close in this pic you can see where I added the sleeve to widen the housing. It has a slightly larger OD than the rest of the tube.

I also made some diff armor out of some 3/8 plate I had laying around...

Mpics 028.JPG
Mpics 027.JPG

Since I'm gonna use the rear FF out of the 80, was wondering what everyone thought about the idea of using the rear suspension out of the 80 as well?? Have seen a couple of threads on Mud...looks pretty sweet.

If you can make it fit correctly, do it. You'll probably want longer links though, for better flex.

Updates???

None. Been collecting parts here and there. Maintaining my 80 and 100, plus the whirlwind of 3 school age kids keeps me more busy than I like.

I have been looking at the rear 80 axle I have laying around. Think I can make the coil suspension work on the 40 without modifying the axle.

You have a sweet rig! What size are those Krawlers?

None. Been collecting parts here and there. Maintaining my 80 and 100, plus the whirlwind of 3 school age kids keeps me more busy than I like.

I have been looking at the rear 80 axle I have laying around. Think I can make the coil suspension work on the 40 without modifying the axle.

You have a sweet rig! What size are those Krawlers?
Looks like u got some pretty nice leads in the back, I bet it would ride pretty nice. 4 link is nice, I was going to 4 link mine in the rear, but when I added up the cost n time I dropped the idea. Especially when i thought about time. After that i torched off the 80 link brackets and had the axle hanging off springs in about 5 hours ha. But if u can do 4link that's cool. Sounds like u got a lot on your plate.
Thanks man! Its been a lotta work. They are 35s I got off of Craigslist.

Looks like u got some pretty nice leads in the back, I bet it would ride pretty nice. 4 link is nice, I was going to 4 link mine in the rear, but when I added up the cost n time I dropped the idea. Especially when i thought about time. After that i torched off the 80 link brackets and had the axle hanging off springs in about 5 hours ha. But if u can do 4link that's cool. Sounds like u got a lot on your plate.
Thanks man! Its been a lotta work. They are 35s I got off of Craigslist.

Custom Alcan's I had made years ago. They are basically mini truck length and width, but are a little stouter and the center pin is moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom