5speed Transmission Questions! speed or 4sd + fairy overdrive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

The plan has allways been to put a 5speed in my HJ47 build, but I have just been offered a choice of,

$500 - HJ60 5 speed and transfercase
OR
$600 - HJ47 4 speed with a fairy overdrive

What would others choose?

Also Is the overdrive part of the transfercase, IE could I bolt it onto my HJ47 4 speed?

Thanks for any advice.

which one is the easiest to get parts for ?.

hi there

i had overdrives on a few old cars, on an old land rover and it was crap, electric overdrives are ok but manual ones with a stick are rubbish

One of the few and proud operational faireys, works and works well, I just need to top it off every 3 to 4 weeks, leaks everywhere and has coated my undercarriage. I've talked to mark about shipping it out to him but jut have too much else going on. The bottom line, good luck on parts for the fairey, recommend the h55

The fairys are more common in Aus, and parts can be found, but the H55 would be much easier!

I think I will try to convince the bloke to sell me just the fairy overdrive (transfercase unit) but if he wont I will go with the H55.

Thanks guys.

I hate seeing good Australian cruisers and parts put in containers and wasted on you bloody, yanks! :)

i had overdrives on a few old cars, on an old land rover and it was crap, electric overdrives are ok but manual ones with a stick are rubbish

My experience has been the opposite. The electric overdrive I had in an old car was the best ever and I loved the Fairey I had in a '79 Cruiser.

The Faireys aren't that strong for serious wheeling so I'd pick the 5-speed.

If we could get that Rover guy to sell off the rights to manufacture new Faireys we'd be set for decades to come. Somebody (maybe a bunch of 40/55 owners) could have a run made. The 75-80 4-speeds are all the same and are the highest production number years... like more than 25,000 vehicles or something. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

not sure how true this is but I was told that you can easily damage overdrives if you engage them in 1st and 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom