Replaced Steering Bushing/Grommet--Still Have Steering Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tire shop wouldn't align my Cruiser due to play in the steering rack. After looking, the play was coming from a warn steering bushing/grommet. I replaced the part today, but it still seems to have about 1/8 inch play either direction. The bushing was a Toyota part. Before I put the new bushing in, I noted that the rack seemed to be slightly "grooved" where the bushing sat. Is this normal? In my mind there should be no play with the new bushing. Is a little play normal? There are no leaks or noises coming from the rack. Any suggestions?

Feel free to call me an idiot too--I can take the heat. I am definitely looking forward to mounting and enjoying my new KO2's--but I need this alignment first!!

Here is a link to the video of my rack. Steering rack.

If the video was made after you installed the new bushing then yes...you have more work to do. To answer your question: 1/8" play in the rack/steering system (via pushing/pulling on the tire at 3:00 & 9:00) is minimal...

The video is after the install. That play is with the wheel being turned from 9-3. Any suggestions on what to do next?

The small bushings on the other end of the rack are also probably worn. AFAIK, they are only available aftermarket. Search Superpro or whiteline.

737178537635.png

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-replace-your-own-steering-rack.560104/page-2#post-8922530

The small bushings on the other end of the rack are also probably worn. AFAIK, they are only available aftermarket. Search Superpro or whiteline.

737178537635.png

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-replace-your-own-steering-rack.560104/page-2#post-8922530
These help a ton! it is also possible that your rack is failing internally. There are several threads on the install of these bushings. The space is tight, and the right tools help, but it is definitely do-able in a few hours. When you think about the geometry of how Mr. T decided to secure the rack v the road forces exerted on it, you're left shaking your head, and knowing exactly why they changed in for '03 forward.

^^^ especially when you look at the design of the OEM, smaller, vertical bushings. They were totally designed for insulation/isolation, and maybe sorta for keeping the rack in place.

The video is after the install. That play is with the wheel being turned from 9-3. Any suggestions on what to do next?

The next, as others above have mentioned, is to get a look at the opposite side (steering wheel/shaft side) and determine if they are flexing, loose or worn out completely.

What year 100 do you have? '98-'02 are a beech for swapping the steering wheel side bushings in/out without removing the rack. IIRC, maybe Rohitash, has done the bushing swap without removing the rack...on his '03.

The play in the video doesn't tell me the rack is worn out.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going for the Superpro kit and will put this project on the list. I'll probably do it at the same time as the MC rebuild--that kit stares me in the face every time I look at my work bench. Slow and steady... hopefully ready in time for a long spring drive.

I ordered the Superpro kit from OBT racing which came in yesterday. Install day comes tomorrow.

New steering rack plus SuperPro poly bushing does wonders!

I just installed the Super Pro kit on my Cruiser...what a difference in steering feel, and reduction of play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom