Anybod found paint that is a good match to blue/gray dash? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a dash cover that is actually close to the correct color, but it's been kicking around in my garage for so long it is now all scratched and beat.

Does anyone know the correct paint color to match the blue/grey interior? ('88 FJ62)

If so, please let me know :) I'll post some before and after dash pics

For reference:
14072ea0.jpg

Awesome, thanks! Quick clarification, this is the darker blue-grey color correct? I remember my '85 60 (also with the grey interior) seemed significantly lighter shade than my '88 62.

Or maybe I'm just making that up?

SEM color coat is an amazing product. You'll love the finish.

We use SEM Color Coat's "Graphite Grey" for our interior trim. You can find them at a local trim and upholstery shop. Or we have cans on our site, too.

Would this be a good match for the 80 series grey interior as well?

For a really good finish flash a heat gun over the surface right after you paint it.

has anyone used this SEM Color Coat on a steering wheel? Is there a product to "top coat" it with for durability ?

I don't see how a product like that could hold up on a steering wheel. Maybe you could try it on a junky wheel first and see how durable it is?

We have had good success with the SEMS product. The key to it is proper prep work using a good cleaner on it first (such as simple green)

Second lightly scuff with scotch brite pad or a fine sandpaper. 600 grit or finer.

Third wipe down with rubbing alcohol and then apply.

As mentioned on this thread, a heat gun is a great way to build a nice solid coat. More thin coats over heavy. Also, keep in mind that this product cures in 10-15 seconds with light coats so don’t bake it with the heat gun. Use it just to keep the surface dry and warm.

There is no top coat needed. Though if you wish, SEMS has both a low luster clear or a high gloss clear if you want to put a top coat over it or for a different shine.

If you have any rough surface or issues with your spray you can also lightly scuff your job with 2000 grit. It will give you a soft perfect feel and can be polished off afterwards by hand with 3M Perfect It to get a flawless finish. This can be done with the color as well as the clear.

If done this way, we have had great success with the product and should hold up for several years and is simple to reapply down the road using the same process.

We have had good success with the SEMS product. The key to it is proper prep work using a good cleaner on it first (such as simple green)

Second lightly scuff with scotch brite pad or a fine sandpaper. 600 grit or finer.

Third wipe down with rubbing alcohol and then apply.

As mentioned on this thread, a heat gun is a great way to build a nice solid coat. More thin coats over heavy. Also, keep in mind that this product cures in 10-15 seconds with light coats so don’t bake it with the heat gun. Use it just to keep the surface dry and warm.

There is no top coat needed. Though if you wish, SEMS has both a low luster clear or a high gloss clear if you want to put a top coat over it or for a different shine.

If you have any rough surface or issues with your spray you can also lightly scuff your job with 2000 grit. It will give you a soft perfect feel and can be polished off afterwards by hand with 3M Perfect It to get a flawless finish. This can be done with the color as well as the clear.

If done this way, we have had great success with the product and should hold up for several years and is simple to reapply down the road using the same process.
Do you have any recommendations to restoring the color on the interior plastic? Is there a paint you offer or a process you know of? Looking to as close to the original grey color on the B pillars that cover the seat belts.

Would/do you use a different color for earlier model (85 and earlier) 60 dashes?

And what about the lighter grey lower dash portion? What shade would you suggest for that and do you offer it?

Thank you!

SEM Colorcoat 15163 Presedio matches the metal lower dash. Colorcoat is mostly for plastics and vinyl but can be applied to the metal dash portion with the proper prep. Youll need to scuff it up really well with a scotchbrite if not removing the original paint completely, then hit it with 38373 SEM Solve, and then use a good etching primer like sem 39683. You can then spray the color coat to that. The plastic bezel was painted with sem 15163 and the metal portion and everything else is original

2a40a613-e459-4ed0-91eb-b2201c3b7a9b-jpeg.2851710

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom