OEM Shocks - dealer install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting some 120k maintenance done at the dealer next week and thought I'd throw the install of new shocks in there since they are only $40 a pop. Well they are quoting $500+ for labor to install them. Seems excessive. Anyone have similar quotes on the labor?

I paid a trusted tire shop to do mine: $150 for all four shocks three years ago. It was a good price but then I was a repeat customer over ten years. My guess is even with the rears being as difficult as they are to install you should only be $250 to $300 tops. The price will vary depending on the market and prevailing labor rates, dealer versus indie, and other factors.

I had my rear shocks installed by a local suspension shop. They charged me 2 hours labor, but they ended up swapping the rear springs at no extra charge. They said they use AllData and it quotes 2 hours. It only took them an hour of actual time, but I expect the other hour is used to help pay for equipment, tools, etc.

Can you install the shocks yourself? Yes, the top nut on the rear shocks is a pain, but I bet a pipe wrench to hold the shock body while loosening the nut would work well. This is what I did on the fronts and it went quick.

Seems high. Anyone who has done the shocks before (as a dealer hopefully would have) could do the job in a couple of hours, especially if the truck was already on a lift for other work. After adding in shop fees, I would hope the labor charge would be only half what they are asking?

Run.....

This is horrible cost, all it needs is someone with healthy muscles, and little patience.
For the rear springs, I understand the right and lift are different.

I'm getting some 120k maintenance done at the dealer next week and thought I'd throw the install of new shocks in there since they are only $40 a pop. Well they are quoting $500+ for labor to install them. Seems excessive

gill333

I dont believe mine have ever been replaced (193K). How do you know when its time? The jump on the bumper and count the ups and downs seem a little unscientific.

you're probably just slightly over due...:eek:

By maybe 120k miles....

Also time for new springs at t-bars at that mileage.

Man... It rides great. I'll call the dealer to see if they have ever been replaced. "T-bar" springs? Whats that?

The FSM says to take them off to test. Any other way? Has anyone seen a big difference after replacement?

That should have read "springs and torsion bars". Yes I have replaced them all with Old Man Emu and it's a night and day difference. New OEM shocks will help, but the springs and torsion bars aren't near up to spec at that age/mileage.

Just to help those like me who were searching for recent quotes on oem shock replacement...

Called my local shop (not dealer) and was quoted $850 out the door, shocks at $60 a piece and $210 labor up front, $315 labor on the rears. Will be finding a new shop.

Dont run, SPRINT away!! I had all mine done for $160 about three years ago. Also, the fronts are super easy, if you jack up the front body...took me 30-40 minutes per side, with an air impact wrench, and also replaced the sway bar end links at the same time.

[Apologies in advance for assuming that you're up for doing them yourself. Abilities and capabilities vary considerably.]

Front shocks are straight forward with standard tools. Here's a tutorial: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Front Shocks

Rears are more annoying, but do-able with a 22mm flex-head box wrench and a set of ramps. Drop the spare and spend some time underneath where it's nice and shady. Tutorial here: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Rear Shocks (ramps can be used instead of jack & stands)

[Apologies in advance for assuming that you're up for doing them yourself. Abilities and capabilities vary considerably.]

Front shocks are straight forward with standard tools. Here's a tutorial: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Front Shocks

Rears are more annoying, but do-able with a 22mm flex-head box wrench and a set of ramps. Drop the spare and spend some time underneath where it's nice and shady. Tutorial here: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Rear Shocks (ramps can be used instead of jack & stands)

The fronts seem easy enough, but honestly, I am a bit intimidated by the rears. These tutorials help, thank you!

I’d have a very hard time paying someone to do that , The fronts are cake and the rears aren’t that tough, use the flex head wrench and a pipe wrench and don’t get in a hurry . Only issue might be a rust belt rig.. I didn’t use ramps and I’m not a small guy but really no issues with em

Buy a flex head 22mm ratcheting wrench and take it and four shocks to a shadetree mechanic. I got one on ebay delivered for about $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom