whats the best way to strap down a 100 on a trailer ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have never hauled a 100 on a trailer, I am going on a 3 hour drive to look at a 2001 and I am taking a trailer with me because If I buy it I dont want to make to trips lol.

What are the best points to put straps on ? Its stock should I just go through the rims ? or will that damage the paint ? Are there tow points to use. The straps I have are rated 5K so with 4 I should be good right or do I need better ones they do have hooks on the ends.

Vehicle in park and parking brake set. (But since its a 100 series, make sure the parking brake actually releases when you release it) Just hook to anywhere on the frame or wrap around the axle and back to the trailer. Make sure not to wrap it around brake lines. One strap in the front and one in the rear.

Your straps are probably not rated cumulatively. I would use a chain and binder on the front end through the lower a-arms and then another chain if available on the back end or HD strap over the axle.

I always tie down on the axles and not the frame. Otherwise you will have to compress the suspension to get it tight and it could bounce and straps can come unhooked. Also you need more than two straps for redundancy. If you use two and one strap breaks / rubs through or come loose you have problems.

We always buy our straps from Macs custom tie downs. I use this kit
79_821_popup.jpg

I use the axle straps over the rear lower links and then to the back of the trailer. Normally I cross the back so left goes to rignt side of the trailer.

For the front I go through the bottom A-arm and straight forward. I use these straps since the axle straps have another thick anti chaffing cover that prevents straps from cutting. On the front A arms make sure you avoid the sharp edges.

Never had an issue doing it this way.

OP: no OEM tiedown points built expressly for that?

OP: no OEM tiedown points built expressly for that?

I have no clue its a stock 2001 LC do they have them ? I was asking so I did not have to figure it out when I got there and do something that causes damage.

thanks for all the tips :) now to find out if its as good as the seller says lol the last 2 have been junkers that were posted with pictures from several years ago when they were in good shape.

Plus 1 on the Mac's!
IMG_20141002_140244:nopm:.jpg
I always tie down on the axles and not the frame. Otherwise you will have to compress the suspension to get it tight and it could bounce and straps can come unhooked. Also you need more than two straps for redundancy. If you use two and one strap breaks / rubs through or come loose you have problems.

We always buy our straps from Macs custom tie downs. I use this kit
79_821_popup.jpg

I use the axle straps over the rear lower links and then to the back of the trailer. Normally I cross the back so left goes to rignt side of the trailer.

For the front I go through the bottom A-arm and straight forward. I use these straps since the axle straps have another thick anti chaffing cover that prevents straps from cutting. On the front A arms make sure you avoid the sharp edges.

Never had an issue doing it this way.

Tire straps or soft tie downs through the rims.

You always want to tie to an unsprung location on the vehicle. Crossing the straps is also preferred.

I haven't trailered a 100 series, but earlier this week trailered a classic Corvette about 500 miles to a restoration shop. The owner of the shop commented that I had done an excellent job of securing the vehicle and they don't see that very often. He told me of a fellow who had tied a car from the frame to the trailer. Over a big bump the car would settle, the tie downs would get some slack and then the suspension would rebound until it reached the limit of the tie downs. That action over many miles wrinkled the quarter panels on the car.

When you do tow your vehicle make sure you stop and check the tension on the straps periodically, maybe the first time after 20-25 miles. You'll likely be doing some occasional tightening.

I have no clue its a stock 2001 LC do they have them ? I was asking so I did not have to figure it out when I got there and do something that causes damage.

snip.

not sure about the 01 but our 03 has 4 sturdy tiedown points that Toyota put there presumably for tieing the truck down during transport. I'm guessing the 01 does too. Those are bolted-on but it seems highly unlikely that somebody would remove them.
Now it is possible that the OEM tiedowns are meant mostly for ship transport which is likely less high frequency-bumpy than a trailer. But I kind of doubt that Toyota would not have foreseen their use on trailers (isn't that how they get them to the dealers, and at crazy angles sometimes at that?)
If you tie to something else, be careful. But then again, you are since you asked.

Like Mr. Slee said, Axle straps around the rear axle tubes and thru the lower a-arms in the front.
The kit from Mac's is nice, but you can piece them together from places like tractor supply, albeit, you'd have to buy the fancy carry bag.
I pieced together a set from a local rigging company so I could have the terminations exactly as I wanted them for my trailer. Then used fire hose outer jacket for chafe guards.

Hauled lots of things this way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom