13bt blow by????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not a diesel guy but the tube from the exhaust manifold to the turbo looks real oily to me. Does this mean the rings are bad causing blow by?? Or is the turbo leaking some how??

IMAG0140[1].jpg

Could be either. You could test the compression or get the turbo looked at. What other symptoms does it have ,like smoke or oil usage?

Not sure. It is 700 miles away looking at buying it. The seller says it runs fine and has power. Is the turbo on that motor oil cooled??

I'm not sure I follow your original post. Are you referring to the picture you attached because the exhaust manifold is under the turbo on a 13BT and it's not visible in the picture you attached.

If the seller said there is oil on the exhaust manifold, that could be the fitting for the oil line is leaking, or the return line is leaking, or something is leaking from the turbo itself.

Like I said I am not familiar with Diesel engines. Sorry for my lack of part description. The tube that runs between the turbo and the right side of the engine if you were facing it. It has the word Turbo on it. It is very black. Not sure if its oil or exhaust residue. I think it runs from the turbo to the intake. My buddy said it probably comes from the cold side of the turbo. So more then likely the turbo is leaking in some way.

I'd give that engine a pressure wash, and then take it from there. Can't see much when there is so much crud built up in there. Then you can look for fresh oil leaks etc. Could just be something simple.

The owner did Pressure wash it over the weekend. I made an offer on it but I am second in line. We will see. I might be educating myself a lot more on Diesels

Ah yes I see, thats likely from crank case vapours, mine was like that when I got it, fitted a air/oil sperator and no problems now, nice and clean.

Would you mind sharing the details and maybe a photo or two?

Thanks! I think I need to do that.

If you're referring to the vent that goes from the crankcase to the intake hose having oil in it then yes, it is normal. The crankcase will build pressure and oil vapor or mist will be transferred. My Subaru does it, my G8 does it, my VW TD does it and my HJ60 does it.

I use non vented catch cans on most of my vehicles. So it goes valve cover-catch can with stainless mesh- intake tube pre turbo.

I get small amount of oil out the cans on every car, every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom