low oil pressue ? now what ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On high mileage units it can be a sign of worn out bearings. With those kind of klms ,a full rebuild would be the sensible thing.
Tune ups don't do anything for oil pressure.

But the 1st thing to do is test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge that shows the pressure in psi or the metric equivalent.
There are tests outlined in the FSM.
Don't worry too much if they are showing low pressure at idle.
Thicker oil can offset the worn parts sometimes.

As far as i know ,all parts are still available but not from Toyota

On high mileage units it can be a sign of worn out bearings. With those kind of klms ,a full rebuild would be the sensible thing.
Tune ups don't do anything for oil pressure.

But the 1st thing to do is test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge that shows the pressure in psi or the metric equivalent.
There are tests outlined in the FSM.
Don't worry too much if they are showing low pressure at idle.
Thicker oil can offset the worn parts sometimes.

As far as i know ,all parts are still available but not from Toyota

Cool Thanks for the reply ! I have an after market oil pressure gauge just put on the truck, start up it reads 40psi. then after warm goes down to 10psi.
I guess I should look into the rebuild : time it takes, parts suppliers, cost.
Thanks
JMac

As long as it reads over 30psi above 3000 rpm its fine. 35-80 is the acceptable range. 10 psi at idle is pretty good IMHO.

Factory manual says idle can be as low as 4psi, kind of scary but my mechanical gauge on a hot summer day of driving can read 5psi when idling. I use the throttle cable to up the idle for sanity's sake, but as long as it's pushing 30psi like the yotahed says, that's ok.

Nice high mileage engines!

:beer:

FYI.... This from the FSM about the gauges:
page4_crop.jpg

And this is where my needle is (was before I sold her :crybaby:) at idle and cruising.
Which makes green around 14psi and purple around 30 something psi.
DSC00188crop2.JPG

Rudi

As long as it reads over 30psi above 3000 rpm its fine. 35-80 is the acceptable range. 10 psi at idle is pretty good IMHO.
Thanks Yotahead, the truck starts up and runs at 40 psi then after warm either idling or doing 100km/hr remains at 10psi.
So it looks like a repair is needed on both trucks as they are running the same psi by the looks of things.
Bearings eh? anything else while I'm in there ?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom