Tie rod end stuck, helpful advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a new set of tie rod ends for my rig. I spent some time cleaning up the rods and their threads. I got everything all set and ready for what should of been an easy install but on the last connection (of course) one tie rod end got stuck halfway in the two point end. The crown nut stripped out and save me that I have an impact wrench to get it off. I smacked the bolt end with a hammer to try and get it out only mushrooming the end. I smacked it from the other side with a rubber mallet and it wont move. Its suck. Not sure what happened but I don't want to ruin these ends and I can't figure out how to get them apart with out trashing them. Any help would be appreciated. If you hit the reply button don't do so to tell me I'm screwed. Please try to offer advice only. Thank you.
20141024_175347_zpsth2yxhpt.jpg

So I got a new set of tie rod ends for my rig. I spent some time cleaning up the rods and their threads. I got everything all set and ready for what should of been an easy install but on the last connection (of course) one tie rod end got stuck halfway in the two point end. The crown nut stripped out and save me that I have an impact wrench to get it off. I smacked the bolt end with a hammer to try and get it out only mushrooming the end. I smacked it from the other side with a rubber mallet and it wont move. Its suck. Not sure what happened but I don't want to ruin these ends and I can't figure out how to get them apart with out trashing them. Any help would be appreciated. If you hit the reply button don't do so to tell me I'm screwed. Please try to offer advice only. Thank you.

Have you tried a Tie Rod End Puller? (Looks like the one in the pic below - there's a large Pitmann Arm puller and a smaller TRE puller).

You can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight - or rent a cheap one at most auto parts (rent back when you return it) - or buy one at most auto parts.

I can't tell how badly you've messed up the threads, but I would chase them before I try to install the TRE, once you have it off.

hth

Tie Rod End Puller.jpg

I didn't know about the above mentioned puller, I just have a pickle fork. I guess I'm on the mission to find said puller, thank you very much.

I tried putting the nut on and whacking it just started killing the nut I didn't want to ruin the threads anymore. I did grind and file on the head before this pic was taken so I managed to clean it up, mostly. If I can get it off I can bore the hole or sand the post so it goes on easy then the rest of the threads that aren't damaged will hold a new nut.

Last edited:
You should be able to get it off, with no further damage, with a TRE Puller - but NOT with a Pickle Fork (without damage).

Just make sure you get the right size puller.

O'Shell - (FWIW) - As for the picture of the TRE you are having trouble with, be sure that is the correct TRE to use in that location. If you are replacing all five TRE's, two of them are very similar. For the two that are similar, one TRE has a longer threaded end where the castle nut goes and that is the one you should use in your photo.

Last edited:
If you've tightened the wrong one up already then the taper is seated-it's not stuck-that's as far as it well go. Hammer it once and hard(wide rough cast area)(1 inch to left where threads protrude)-CRACK it good with a 3# hammer on the side where the female taper is inside(facing up in the pic) -put it on a block of wood to do this-perfect aim is needed -you don't want to go left too far and tear your new boot or anything else. It will fall right out. The casting will take it.

The casting where the threaded tapered end is mounted will absolutely handle nice square repeated blows. That's how I separate any tapered shaft when not wanting to tear up the rubber boot or damage the tie rod end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom