'Bout darn time!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for a LC/LX for over a year now. I wanted an 80 or 100 series. Deep down I was pulling for the 80 series because they look so ....tough. But when I sat in the 100 series it was over, I knew which one I really wanted. However, I was open to either at the right price. Called a few 80 series owners but our schedules never seemed to line up. Test drove 100 series that was "perfect" until I had a PPI performed and revealed 5K worth of work needed to be completed. So I have been up and down on this journey for a while.
Then I stumbled on one seemingly another "perfect" example. Contacted the seller to make sure it was still available...2000 Lexus LX470 one owner 136l (leased and then bought out lease), all maintenance performed at local Lexus dealer. PPI performed, all system go....LOVE IT!!!

Pictures will be posted this weekend.

Truthfully, I am much more a sports car junkie than a off-road junkie, but I want to change that, SLOWLY! Before I kick it up a notch I want to do a few things.

Weather tech mats
Fix the broken antenna mast
Debadge the rear
Fix peeling clearcoat on rear tailgate
Monitor the AHC to make sure all is well

Question: I want to remove ALL badges from the rear of the truck. Am I correct all come off cleanly but the Lexus badge below the wiper will leave to small holes? Is there a Land cruiser badge that mounts up to these two holes? Or even a Toyota badge that has the same mounting points? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, the Lexus badge mounts via double-sided tape and two holes. I would assume that the Toyota "sombrero" badge (which mounts the same way on year-equivalent Land Cruisers) has the posts at the same locations, and should mount without issue.

Do you prefer the Toyota emblem over the Lexus? There is nothing Land Cruiser-specific about the emblem...it's just as all other Toyota emblems in appearance.

Welcome! You are correct, the Lexus "L" has two alignment holes. I haven't tested it yet, but I think the Toyota "sombrero" has holes in the same spot.

Personally, I have removed all of the badges except the "L"s.
20130707_160301_zps05202d7e.jpg

I think both 80's and 100's look wimpy stock. It does not take much to toughen up the looks. Have fun with your new truck.

Welcome! Looking forward to your pics and mod :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sorry for the delay! Here are a few pics of the beast! CreeperSleeper - THANKS for the pic, that is exactly what I wanted to know.
00lx2.png
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG

00lx1.png

And here is what your truck will look like fully built. One of the nicest looking 100 series I've ever seen, but I'm biased:)
Oh, and I'm more of a sports car guy too... Until I bought first 80 series. We do so the same kind off wheeling so you will appreciate the 100 series more.
Oh and here is my sports car, in my opinion, one of the best sports sedans ever built.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sorry for the delay! Here are a few pics of the beast! CreeperSleeper - THANKS for the pic, that is exactly what I wanted to know.View attachment 956091 View attachment 956101 View attachment 956101
VERY nice LX. I really like the not-so-common grey interior with River Rock Green (most have tan interior)

IMO, the 1st (and quickest) objective is to get rid of the running boards. 100s lose 1000 pounds (visually) with that update.

Let the fun begin! You'll like your 100 more than you expected to.......and be glad you didn't find an 80 first (don't get me wrong, I love my 80, and I don't ever foresee selling it. But know that the 100 does virtually everything better than an 80. It's quieter, smoother, stops better, accelerates better, has better A/C, gets better fuel mileage, etc.)

artwerks:
You are right, this vehicle is addictive!! Never thought you could have fun with a slow vehicle. Who knew? ;)

I printed out a pic of your LX for inspiration! Your LX is absolutely perfect! I would only add the snorkle (wife says she wants to have it installed so....).

1st mod is one its way....weathertech mats in gray...:clap:

That e39 BMW M5 is great! Do you have an exhaust? Love that color!!!!!

I have owned a couple TT Supras, S2000 and still own my TT (well actually single turbo) RX-7. Just sold my EVO X to get this...too many toys and house projects. Hope to be back in something AWD in a few years.

dnp
Thanks, I saw a 80 on the road the other day and boy it looks great but I have BONDED with this truck, so there is no going back!!:steer: Wife likes the running boards, but the stock boards do not offer protection from those high obstacles, correct? Looking at Slee and trying to figure out which sliders would be more visually appealing...:hmm:

artwerks:
You are right, this vehicle is addictive!! Never thought you could have fun with a slow vehicle. Who knew? ;)
I printed out a pic of your LX for inspiration! Your LX is absolutely perfect! I would only add the snorkle (wife says she wants to have it installed so....

I didn't think I could have fun with a slow vehicle either, but this is just a whole different level of fun. It can go anywhere, pull just about anything, and server as a camper; it makes me feel like a bad-a$$ on the road; and, because it's slow, I typically avoid speeding tickets.

Snorkels are cool, but I think they detract from the clean lines of the 100 series LX. In CO we don't have a ton of water and there is only one trail in the whole state (that I know of) that may even need the snorkel; therefore, the snorkel isn't a necessity. In fact, unless you live in a really rainy area (e.g. Costa Rica) you don't really need a snorkel, IMHO.

That e39 BMW M5 is great! Do you have an exhaust? Love that color!!!!!
...Hope to be back in something AWD in a few years.

No exhaust on the M5, but I did remove the mufflers -- it's not too loud, but loud enough to put an ear-to-ear grin on my face every time it starts. That 5L V8 sound is addicting.
Why do you want to get back into an AWD vehicle? Living in CO, my first sports sedan ('04 S60R) was AWD and I need the traction year round, but I didn't have the LX then. Since going RWD, I don't think I could ever go back -- this is what true sports cars are made of. My next car will be an S2000 or an Mx-5 and I'd eventually like to get into rear/mid-engine like a Ferrari 360 and/or Porsche 930 Turbo.

...Wife likes the running boards, but the stock boards do not offer protection from those high obstacles, correct? Looking at Slee and trying to figure out which sliders would be more visually appealing...:hmm:

Correct! Yes, the running boards will not offer you protection. And in my experience, sliders are the first protection mod you should do as this part of the truck is most vulnerable to damage.
If you are looking for something like the running boards (with a step), you should look at the SLEE step sliders or the Metal Tech sliders. I personally feel the MT sliders are more visually appealing, because they don't stick out as much, but this is a matter of opinion. If you want an obvious, can't-miss-it step, then the SLEE step sliders may be the way to go.

I see your point about the snorkels, but the boss wants one so..;)

Yeah, I have always been a RWD fanatic!! Miata power slow or Corvette power fast, didn't matter. The EVO X changed all that! It was tossable and I could drive it EVERYDAY regardless of the weather. It would rocketship out of corners and it could be had with a manual! It was fantastic! Maybe I am just getting old and I like the added control of having AWD when playing around! I still am in love with RWD but I would like to add another AWD to the garage, that's all....:steer:

I guess I had better look into those Slee sliders then....HAHAHA

Thanks again!!

Yes, the running boards will not offer you protection. And in my experience, sliders are the first protection mod you should do as this part of the truck is most vulnerable to damage.
+1
Sliders will be one of the first things on my list when I pick up my LX.

Some folks claim a snorkel will get you cleaner air in a convoy situation on dirt roads...I have my doubts but another nugget for the discussion. If you do get a snorkel I would get a precleaner, from what I have seen they catch an amazing amount of dust.

Not quite to artworks level but with the OME 2" lift and Slee step sliders, and 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
Enjoy building your new Hundy

Maybe not to my level on the LX, SWUtah, but it looks like you have a maroon Aston Martin in the garage. It's hard to tell from your avatar. How about a picture of that! I've been curious about that for years... :steer:

Bought it new in 2008, it's Merlot with creme leather and Merlot stitching. Vantage V8. They sound great not that fast but really pretty. I traded it in on a CLS63 AMG with the performance package. Then I sold the MB when I moved to Maui. Now back in Austin and for some reason the wife thinks expensive cars are a waste of money ;). Oh well I have owned my share and now I am just staying with Hundys. But at 65 I no longer drive fast :)

SWUtah
That is awesome! Just gives me more inspiration. Seems you have had a nice collection of street rods!!

Question anyone:

Weathertech liners came...:(

the cargo liners have no holes cut for the 3rd row seats. I called and they said I have to cut them out. Is this correct?

The front driver's liner only has one hole and the passenger has none for the mat clips. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Korrie

Question anyone:

Weathertech liners came...:(

the cargo liners have no holes cut for the 3rd row seats. I called and they said I have to cut them out. Is this correct?

The front driver's liner only has one hole and the passenger has none for the mat clips. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Korrie

You are correct on both accounts. As for the passenger side, it won't need clips, or maybe I should say it shouldn't need clips. The liner should fit pretty snug. The driver side, I do recommend clipping it in. The factory mat should clip down on the outboard side. At least mine had the factory clip there.

The rear cargo liner doesn't have holes, you'll have to carefully cut them. In the "What have you done" thread, Crimsomaudio posted a picture of them cut out and the liner installed with the plastic mounting bezels removed & reinstalled over the liner, making it somewhat permanent. I notice my liner slides around as I just have it laying in the back. I think I'll try to cut it and put it under the mounting bezels.

Rear_mat.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom