Slow turning and braking issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I did a search with no luck. 93fzj and my problem is this. When I turn into a parking space or driveway while turning and applying brakes the pedal goes nearly to the floor and a weird sound can be heard coming from somewhere which I can't pinpoint. The sound is hard to describe but not a grinding or scraping sound. The truck is hard to stop but after it does this if you left of the brakes then reapply the brakes act normal. This has scared the shizzle out of me a couple times. It only does this while turning and slowing. It has never done this in a straight line. All the other forums I've seen doesn't describe this problem while turning . Any suggestions? Only does this every once in a while but scary when it does it. Thanks

Fluids are good and haven't noticed any rpm drop. ABS light has come on only 2 times in last few years so I haven't been too worried about it. Now it seems to be more frequent. I can tell you that the front passenger abs sensor wire was broke and fixed with a wire connector before I bought it.

Also when this happens the brake pedal goes nearly to the floor and pulses.

When was the last time you drained and filled your brake fluid? Also check your lines. More information would be good also. Mileage? Any lift and if so how much?

When was the last time you drained and filled your brake fluid? Also check your lines. More information would be good also. Mileage? Any lift and if so how much?
3"ome lift 35s but this was happening before the lift as well. 160000 miles. Lines are good and replace soft lines with ss lines. Drainef and filled last year.

Jack the front tires up and check for bearing play. A loose bearing will allow the rotor to shift side to side pressing the brake pistons in causing more pedal throw on the first push. Be sure to post results for others of what it ends up being.

Jack the front tires up and check for bearing play. A loose bearing will allow the rotor to shift side to side pressing the brake pistons in causing more pedal throw on the first push. Be sure to post results for others of what it ends up being.
Found a simular post about premature ABS with good info.

Sounds to me like the ABS is activating. A sensor with a wire connector (not soldered) may cause something like this. Since the pedal goes to the floor and PULSES, that's typical of ABS engaging. The sound you hear could be the ABS motor kicking in to pulse the brakes.

May indicate a loose wheel bearing that shifts when turning and therefore affects the ABS ring location in relation to the sensor. Also, when you turn, the axle shafts shift in their location causing the same thing.

I hate ABS.

Pull the ABS fuse and see if it follows.

Will do, thanks guys.

Just a follow up. I took out both front sensors and cleaned them and inspected them, everything looked good. The driver side , as I mentioned before, had a connector due to a broken wire but when I looked closer there were more breaks in the wire. The wire on the axle was very brittle and I had very little to work with. I soldered 2 new wires and got rid of the wire connectors the shop had put on it and dielectric grease on the solder joints as well as the sensor plug. Everything seems good now and will post again in a week with an update if anyone's interested on the outcome. Thanks for all the info guys.

Good to hear, 99% of the time pulsing brakes on the pig are ABS related. Good thing you were able to fix the problem and they didn't lie in the sensor itself because they're not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom