rear sway bar question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friend of my have Mercedes G Wagon - the other day I was checking it out the suspension is very close or the same as my LX450, except one competent. There is no rear sway bar at all - So he is claiming that it is very stable and very articular when going over uneven terrain. What is your opinions Mudders? is rear sway bar needed?

Generally no, not untill you perform an emergency avoidance maneuver at highway speeds :)

But then your gonna want one.

Lots of folks have removed but I'd wager you may notice the extra body roll and wallow on road more than any increase in flex offroad.

Try the best of both worlds and fab up/purchase some quick disconnects.

I remove it on my 92' and it really helped but as noted it really makes the rear end funky on hard braking or avoidance moves

But it's rig is only used under 40 mph typcially and is normally fine

Suspension geometry is complex. Anti roll bars can mitigate some less desirable aspects of a given suspension setup. I doubt if you modeled the g and the 80 that you'd find them to be all that similar.

As for the 80, if you're at stock height or close to it, you can ditch the sway bar. It will be softer but not much less stable. Lifted, I wouldn't. You'll feel that roll axis more than ever.

Or replace the Toyota link setup with something better

You're not going to gain hardly any articulation by removing the rear sway. Disconnecting the front sway is a much more beneficial "mod". Too much body roll for my liking to leave it off permanently though.

I've had my front and rear off for nearly a year. I've gotten used to the sway even with a 6" lift. I do have heavies in the rear so that probably keeps it from being too sloppy.

You're not going to gain hardly any articulation by removing the rear sway. Disconnecting the front sway is a much more beneficial "mod". Too much body roll for my liking to leave it off permanently though.
I never disconnected mine with the old suspension but without the rear sway bar I had significantly more flex last weekend on the Rubicon. I thought I didn't need rear bump stops until the sway bar broke and my tires bound against the body. Literally.

The oem Toyota 5 link may bind first though.

My rear suspension seems to flex an acceptable amount w/sway bar installed. It's the front that's really lacking. I'd like to scrap the front sway bar but am worried of safety even w/only a 2.5" OME lift. I guess I need QD's for front.

My rear suspension seems to flex an acceptable amount w/sway bar installed. It's the front that's really lacking. I'd like to scrap the front sway bar but am worried of safety even w/only a 2.5" OME lift. I guess I need QD's for front.
Radius arms make the front axle a giant sway bar.

I think the G wagon is radius arm rear also. this additional stiffness may be why they didn't need a rear sway bar.

Radius arms make the front axle a giant sway bar.
As in no matter what the front won't flex much in stock form or as in front sway bar can be removed with no ill effects?

As in no matter what the front won't flex much in stock form or as in front sway bar can be removed with no ill effects?
Little column a, little column b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom