11/71 Turn signal and light issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help with my 11/71 FJ40. When I turn my lights on, both turn signal indicators light up (alog with all the other running lights). When I turn my turn signals on, everything (except the headlights) flash at the same time (front and rear turn signals, front and rear marker lights and turn signal indicators). I'm trying to install an earlier (pre-9/71) t/s switch (because the dealer said the 9/71-9/72 switch is discontinued). I've made jumper wires from the bullet connector on the switch and plugged them into the corresponding colored wires on the harness plug. When I check the power at the harness plug, both the outer GW and GO wires (across from each other) have power w/the key off and the lights on. The other two inner GW & GO wires don't have power. When I turn the key on, the GW wire has power at the plug.

I must be missing something simple???

TIA

I just checked again. At the plug, I have power at the GW wire when the brake pedal is pressed and again when the lights are on, but not with just the key on. I have power at the GL wire with just the key on.

I don't have a 71 wiring diagram, but that sounds like what you need-seems like I remember some of these in the FAQ?

Thanks. I have one, but it's not helping too much with this problem.

Here's Coolerman's---it may help--
http://api.***.com/api/click?format...alsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/

Thank you. Looks like the GY & GO wires at the harness t/s switch plug that are hot when the running lights are on, are coming from the hazard switch. Should those be hot with the running lights are on? Or, is the hazard switch bad?

It is kind of difficult to understand, but it looks like I'm getting power from the hazard switch through a GY & GO wire. I'll check this out tomorrow.

The trick is in the 2 power lines B1 and B2.
B1 feeds the turn circuit which only works when the key is in the "on" position.
B2 feeds the hazard circuit which has to work at all times.
Hazard overrules the turn function no matter if the key is "on" or "off".
Both circuits feed the same turn lights and to make it a bit more complicated, the brake switch plays another role in this because brake and turn share the same (rear) light bulb.

Good luck,

Rudi

I have had these issues a few times before. I have been lucky up to this point in that, I have been able to clean the switch and get things working on each occasion. If you are careful you can open up the case on the hazard switch and clean the contact points in it. put it back together and it should operate like new. The only reason that would not work is if something is burned up in there.

i'm not sure how you have this connected, but it should not be possible to have the turn indicators come on with the park lights. They are two separate circuits. You must be back feeding something somewhere. Pics of the switch and connections would help us to troubleshoot this. To my knowledge, the actual switches are the same just how they are activated is different between the years.

I'll shoot a pic, but the hazard switch has the OE connection and the t/s switch has the jumper wires.

Harness pigtail: T/S pigtail:
GW to GW
G to GL
GY to GY
GY to GY
GO to GO
GO to GO

Not sure if it matters which GY/GO's connects to the other GY/GO's.

One set of GY/GO's (only one set) on the harness side of the T/S pigtail, is hot with the lights on. I don't think they should be. So that's why I think the hazard switch is the culprit.

The one I don't get is the G to GL? Is that a typo? Shouldn't that be GL to GL?
Solid green is the park lights on FJ40's.
If your 11/71 harness has the bullet connectors for the turn signal hookup on the HARNESS side then it does matter how the GO and GY are connected. The GO and GY Triple bullet connectors are for the FRONT signals and the dash indicator lights. The GO and GY single bullets are for the rear lights.

My 11/71 has a 6 prong pigtail connector for the T/S switch. This switch is no longer available, so I got a pre-9/71 that has the bullet connectors. The harness side has 2 GY's, 2 GO's, 1 G and 1 GW. The pre-9/71 switch has 2 GY's, 2 GO's, 1 GL and 1 GW. So, I assumed the GL would connect to the G??

Here's Coolerman's---it may help--
http://api.***.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_141350391318711&key=adf0a72d922ed160d68ae75920f384de&libId=c1829754-2738-4916-af6a-a88e8df8f485&loc=https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1970-wire-diagram.797552/&v=1&out=http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/&ref=https://forum.ih8mud.com/search/1132759/?q=wiring+diagrams&o=relevance&c[node]=8&title=1970 Wire Diagram | IH8MUD Forum&txt=http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/

Here's Coolerman's page about turn switches---it may help--- (;) @sggoat)
http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/6A.htm

Rudi

i'm not sure how you have this connected, but it should not be possible to have the turn indicators come on with the park lights. They are two separate circuits. You must be back feeding something somewhere. Pics of the switch and connections would help us to troubleshoot this. To my knowledge, the actual switches are the same just how they are activated is different between the years.

Nothing like the original help around again.:clap: Glad to see you back on the board more Mark. I hope this means things are turning around in you life for the better.

As for the problem first thing I would do to trouble shot is remove each lamp and inspect the socket and lamp. Then leave one lamp out at a time and check. A short between the parking/tail lights and turn signals would tie the two together.

I do have LED taillights in the back. Wonder if this could be the problem. This all started when I wanted to clean things up. PO installed an aftermarket t/s switch and ran wires back to the taillights. I removed the switch and wiring, installed an new OE switch (pre-9/71) and connected the rear lights into the original rear harness (G to the wire labeled taillight on the back of the lights and GY & GO to the wire labeled turn signal).

Wonder if I should install a set of OE rear lights??

So... You have the year no one has a proper schematic for! The switches are identical across these years except for the connectors so I would have made the same assumptions about how you connected it. I would install the OEM lights temporarily until we can help you sort this out.

Trying to troubleshoot wiring that is not OEM is very difficult over the internet. This is why I ALWAYS say use a OEM harness on your project. If you want help when something doesn't work anyone who can read a schematic can help you.

I do have LED taillights in the back. Wonder if this could be the problem. This all started when I wanted to clean things up. PO installed an aftermarket t/s switch and ran wires back to the taillights. I removed the switch and wiring, installed an new OE switch (pre-9/71) and connected the rear lights into the original rear harness (G to the wire labeled taillight on the back of the lights and GY & GO to the wire labeled turn signal).

Wonder if I should install a set of OE rear lights??

Just to verify OEM wiring colors and function:
G = Green = Park/Marker/Tailights
GO = Green/Orange = Left turn
GY = Green/Yellow = Right Turn
GW = Green/White = Brake lights
RL = Red/Blue = Reverse Light

Remove the LED lights, hook up the "normal" lights then lets see what happens. Once we get the normal lights working we will figure out the LED lights. You WILL need an LED flasher...

Nothing like the original help around again.:clap: Glad to see you back on the board more Mark. I hope this means things are turning around in you life for the better.

As for the problem first thing I would do to trouble shot is remove each lamp and inspect the socket and lamp. Then leave one lamp out at a time and check. A short between the parking/tail lights and turn signals would tie the two together.

Glad to be back more! I have started working on my truck again, so I will need the wisdom of the IH8MUD faithful. Karma decrees that I help others before asking for help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom