TRD wheels and stance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can those of you running the TRD 17x8 wheels +50 offset post a front picture and rear picture of your rigs so i can see how close they are to being flush with the fenders, i have them on order but with a +50 i'm worried they'll be too inset into the fenderwell. my other option is a 18x9 +25 with a 285 70/18 tire. also please let me know if you have a lift, what kind of lift and any rubbing issues

Can those of you running the TRD 17x8 wheels +50 offset post a front picture and rear picture of your rigs so i can see how close they are to being flush with the fenders, i have them on order but with a +50 i'm worried they'll be too inset into the fenderwell. my other option is a 18x9 +25 with a 285 70/18 tire. also please let me know if you have a lift, what kind of lift and any rubbing issues

No lift, no rubbing issues.

Side vbiew, just for fun:

LC200SnowWeb_07DEC13_zpsc96b89d6.jpg

Front:

ToyotaLC200_1_21JAN13_zps684b1453.jpg

Rear:

ToyotaLC200_2_21JAN13_zpsab273272.jpg

3/4 view:

ToyotaLC200_2_19JAN13_zps219185e3.jpg

HTH

gaijin, i see you have the E rated BFG's i read your thread about load ratings and pressures. i'm not entirely sure i'm sold on the raised white lettering. i know the D rated At/KO's aren't snowflake rated but they do have the black sidewalls, what are your thoughts on running a D rated tire?

are the BFG AT/KO's directional, is it possible to mount the white lettering inboard? any adverse affects?

I find the trd width and offset too conservative. In sports car world you certainly don't want the 4x4 poke but here we are, the best 4x4 brand out there and a bit of poke looks requisite.

I think an 18x9 +25 is the starting point with less positive offset at 18 or so ideal at 9" width for our rig.

Problem is not too many options in the aftermarket. I've debated ordering custom forged wheels from Forgeline. I'd prob get 18x9s et18

KMC's XD line now has several options with 5x150 bolt pattern and offsets between 18-35mm. They are a little flashy but definitely give a more aggressive look.

You could also get 1" wheel spacers for the TRD wheels which would make them equivalent to a +25mm offset.

overlake are you running aftermarket wheels currently? my concern is that stock is +60 and going from a 60 to a 25 the wheel will sit 1 1/3 inches further out in addition to an extra half inch out due to going from an 8 to a 9. so in total we're talking almost 2 inches further out, i just don't know if that'll fit and may be too much poke.

KMC's XD line now has several options with 5x150 bolt pattern and offsets between 18-35mm. They are a little flashy but definitely give a more aggressive look.

You could also get 1" wheel spacers for the TRD wheels which would make them equivalent to a +25mm offset.

i don't really want to run spacers, maybe gaijin can chime in and tell us how much room there is and how inset his setup is? gaijin? in your opinion how much less offset would you need for your stock setup to sit flush

I am fairly certain that 1" (25.4mm) will be close to flush. A wheel with +25 or +30 factory offset should do it if you don't want spacers.

overlake are you running aftermarket wheels currently? my concern is that stock is +60 and going from a 60 to a 25 the wheel will sit 1 1/3 inches further out in addition to an extra half inch out due to going from an 8 to a 9. so in total we're talking almost 2 inches further out, i just don't know if that'll fit and may be too much poke.
Not at the moment but have been doing my reading.

There are already a couple of examples here that clearly show 18x9 et25 is pretty darn near flush esp if you run the factory narrow 285s since there will be little bulge.

(I only care about lifted samples)

Again based on my research if you want flush go with the above. If you want a little bit of poke you need et18s or maybe even 15s depending on how big a tire you choose.

The stance is amazing when done right.

I am fairly certain that 1" (25.4mm) will be close to flush. A wheel with +25 or +30 factory offset should do it if you don't want spacers.
mtnracer i like your math, but the only other wheel i like is a 18x9 +25 so compared to stock that's a half inch inboard and outboard plus taking into account the less offset by 35mm + 12mm in rim width, it would push the wheels aout 1.5-2". from just eyeballing i don't know if that'll work

There is certainly a "fudge factor" in there because the width of the rim also affects the bulge of the tire. I run the TRD rims with Michelin LTX AT2 tires in 285-70-17 with Load Range D along with 1.25" spacers and it is pretty much flush and no rubbing.

For a short while I was running a 20x9 wheel with +0 offset and 275-60-20 Terra Grapplers and it was sticking out about 3/4" past the fenders. It was really annoying because even with my ARB medium lift it, the tires would hit the fenders on every major bump.

What about the hutchinsons that bjowett sells?

went ahead and just ordered the TRD 17x8 and the install kit for 1526.19 shipped. figured that's a really good deal. after searching around i felt the tire sizes for the 17" wheel were a better fit for what i was looking for.

now tires. i liked the BFG but they aren't too good in the wet, the KO2's aren't out yet and won't be till march 2015 at least in the 285/70/17 size. so i can get the current KO's or Nittos in the Terra Grappler G2 or the new EXO grappler. thoughts?

Any of the high quality tires (Nitto, Michelin, BFG) should be nice but I would stay away from the Load Range E tires if possible. They are extremely heavy and very stiff. If you plan on lots of off-road travel, Load Range D would be okay (e.g. Michelin LTX AT2) or if mostly traveling on road, go with Load Range XL or P rated tires (Nitto Terra Grapper). Watch out for the different load ranges offered from each company as often the same size is offered with P, D and / or E load ratings.

BTW: Having had a Terra Grappler and the Michelin LTX AT2, I would go with the Terra Grapplers because they are quieter and look better.

gaijin, i see you have the E rated BFG's i read your thread about load ratings and pressures. i'm not entirely sure i'm sold on the raised white lettering. i know the D rated At/KO's aren't snowflake rated but they do have the black sidewalls, what are your thoughts on running a D rated tire?

I'm very happy with the E-Rated BFG's. When run at the proper Cold Tire Pressure (40psi F/R) they are a very compliant tire. Many folks run them at much higher pressures just because the sidewall says they can hold up to 80psi, but they do not know their tire science :confused:

are the BFG AT/KO's directional, is it possible to mount the white lettering inboard? any adverse affects?

No, they are not directional - you can run them with the while letters out or in, your choice. When mounted with the white letters in, it is a black sidewall tire.

Final notes:

- I have run BFG AT T/A KO's on my 100 and 200 for over 150,000 miles total, in all kind of weather and terrain from desert sand, mountain rocks, torrential rain and wet/dry snow, the only thing I ever felt uncomfortable on was slippery mud.

- If you ever plan to go offroad, even gravel logging roads, an E-Rated LT tire will buy you a LOT more durability than any P-Rated tire - XL or not.

HTH

OK ... Edited to add one final note:

- The only differences between ANY LT285/70R17 tire in D rating or E rating are the total ply rating (more in the E-rated tire) and the pressure at which the Maximum Load Limit can be carried. The D-rated tire has a Max Load Limit of 3195 pounds at a max pressure of 65psi, while the E-rated tire has the same Max Load Limit of 3195 pounds with the exception that it can sustain it from 65psi all the way up to a max pressure of 80psi.

FYI

Last edited:
I have been pleased with my e rated toyo at2 285/70/17. Took about a week to get used to them and now don't notice a difference. Been on for about 3 months. Settled on 42 psi after trying multiple pressures. I can upload pics if wanted.

I have been pleased with my e rated toyo at2 285/70/17. Took about a week to get used to them and now don't notice a difference. Been on for about 3 months. Settled on 42 psi after trying multiple pressures. I can upload pics if wanted.
yes please!! pictures always help. i ended up going with the TRD 17x8 wheels and 4x Toyo Open Country AT2's and 1x Toyo open country AT2 in 285/65/18 for my spare. i was going to order a fifth trd wheel but then read that gaijin couldn't get it mounted in the stock location.

yes please!! pictures always help. i ended up going with the TRD 17x8 wheels and 4x Toyo Open Country AT2's and 1x Toyo open country AT2 in 285/65/18 for my spare. i was going to order a fifth trd wheel but then read that gaijin couldn't get it mounted in the stock location.

Until I made a simple modification to the mounting bracket at the end of the chain - now my 5th TRD wheel with 285/70-17 BFG mounted fits just fine in the stock spare location :D

Now I can do 5-tire rotations and have a fully functional spare on board at all times :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom