Tire Mount & Balance - This typical in your area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been more than a year since I bought new tires, never had this issue with mount & balance before.
Bought new tires online and had them shipped to my house.
Took tires and wheels to local tire store where I was told it is $60 for a mount & balance for used tires, $120 for new tires.
Clerk said that is surcharge for not buying the tires from them.
Left there and called the 8 local tire stores. All said the same thing.

Anyone else run into this?
I get it from a business perspective, but it seems very short-sighted in the age of the internet.

Last edited:
Yep, but most will price match online prices so I usually haggle with them instead of dragging the tires form my house down to their shop.

Their business model involves mark up on the tires and performing the labor, they've got to make up the $ somewhere. At least they are open to installing tires purchased elsewhere they could just say no.

My previous vehicle was a Honda Accord(lease). I bought new tires online and took them with me during a regular oil change. The dealer mounted and balanced them for $20 each. It took them 4 hours to complete, but they barely charged anything for the time they spent on it.

Also, I have friends that usually take their tires to Discount Tire or Belle Tire and have them installed for >$20.

Definitely short-sighted of the shop you visited. Instead of making a small amount off the transaction, they make nothing and lose a customer...

I think it may have been Christo talking about taking your own parts into a business to have the work done and he likened it to taking your own steak into a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you.......:lol:

Maybe not quite the same thing...but....

There isn't a single tire shop in my area that does that. For years now all of my tires come from Tire Rack and I've had them installed at many different shops and it's always anywhere from $15-20 per tire for mount and balance.

Perhaps the shops in Whitefish have entered into some kind of "unoffical" agreement......:rolleyes:

Yes, appears they are in collusion.

I would rather they say no to installing tires they didn't sell instead of having two different prices.

I always use Chatsworth Tire, going on 25 years now. I've always purchased tires from them without issue. I did get set of used 35's that went on my 60. I actually felt bad asking about mounting and balancing since I didn't purchase from them. They said no problem $20/tire.

Yes, appears they are in collusion.

I would rather they say no to installing tires they didn't sell instead of having two different prices.

I see a Big O Tires, Les Schwab, a Dodge dealership, and Firestone in your area. Even those 4 told you that?

I always use Chatsworth Tire, going on 25 years now. I've always purchased tires from them without issue. I did get set of used 35's that went on my 60. I actually felt bad asking about mounting and balancing since I didn't purchase from them. They said no problem $20/tire.

My cousin Hank Heeber's shop. I am spoiled with the family discount. So is my daughter when Hank charged my credit card for her tires the last time. :)

My cousin Hank Heeber's shop. I am spoiled with the family discount. So is my daughter when Hank charged my credit card for her tires the last time. :)

I remember you saying that the last time I mentioned Hank. I'm going to name drop next time. John Alex is it? :flipoff2:

It's been more than a year since I bought new tires, never had this issue with mount & balance before.
Bought new tires online and had them shipped to my house.
Took tires and wheels to local tire store where I was told it is $60 for a mount & balance for used tires, $120 for new tires.
Clerk said that is surcharge for not buying the tires from them.
Left there and called the 8 local tire stores. All said the same thing.

Anyone else run into this?
I get it from a business perspective, but it seems very short-sighted in the age of the internet.

Assuming that is $120 for the four, correct? If so, you're getting hit for an extra $10/tire ($30x4 vs $20x4) seems fair-ish given your cheapness:flipoff2: and location.:meh:
The discount on mounting used tires is hard to discern, but I doubt they are competing with a non brick and mortar internet business, so no need to stick it to the poor dude who got some craigslist tires to get through a rough patch.

Pull the stickers off and rub some mud on them and tell them they are used. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom