Head Gasket? Chocolate Milk gunk in radiator ETC (Survey) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
I have had chocolate scuz in the top of my radiator for over two years now. Seems as if there are no adverse effects. Doesn't run hot, etc.

I have talked and posted up quite a bit with info asking opinions. They vary greatly.

I wanna find out what is the deal with this, so I'm asking how many others have these same symptoms ?

Maybe then we can figure this out.....

No coolant loss - data point 1 - zilch

let the analysis begin...

I have had chocolate scuz in the top of my radiator for over two years now. Seems as if there are no adverse effects. Doesn't run hot, etc.

I have talked and posted up quite a bit with info asking opinions. They vary greatly.

I wanna find out what is the deal with this, so I'm asking how many others have these same symptoms ?

Maybe then we can figure this out.....

I predict that the majority of opinions will be that you've blown the head gasket, that you've been incredibly lucky so far that the truck hasn't exploded, and that with every day you drive it you are jeopardizing (a) your family; (b) everyone sharing the road with you; or (c) -and that's the most egregious of offenses- a busload of nuns. :)

I predict that the majority of opinions will be that you've blown the head gasket, that you've been incredibly lucky so far that the truck hasn't exploded, and that with every day you drive it you are jeopardizing (a) your family; (b) everyone sharing the road with you; or (c) -and that's the most egregious of offenses- a busload of nuns. :)

And yes, this does concern me, lol, cause i DONT KNOW, lol

I have had chocolate scuz in the top of my radiator for over two years now. Seems as if there are no adverse effects. Doesn't run hot, etc. ...

This, combined with...

No coolant loss - data point 1 - zilch

... this. Makes my guess a slight leak in the oil cooler or left over debris from an old repair?

I flushed and changed the coolant.
Reinstalled 50/50 antifreeze/water with radiator cap off while running engine. Installed rad cap and ran engine for 5 or 6 minutes to bring up to temp.
Shut down engine. Rechecked today. More chocolate scuz in the top of radiator.

Also, and this seems to be very telling, engine oil was a quart low. Added engine oil.

Next up = Blackstone Lab test of the coolant for other stuff.

Question: Besides head gasket, what are the other point/places for oil/coolant cross mixing?

I flushed and changed the coolant.
Reinstalled 50/50 antifreeze/water with radiator cap off while running engine. Installed rad cap and ran engine for 5 or 6 minutes to bring up to temp.
Shut down engine. Rechecked today. More chocolate scuz in the top of radiator.

Also, and this seems to be very telling, engine oil was a quart low. Added engine oil.

Next up = Blackstone Lab test of the coolant for other stuff.

Question: Besides head gasket, what are the other point/places for oil/coolant cross mixing?

1. Oil is very difficult to fully remove from a cooling system. A simple flush without added chemistry is unlikely to remove all of it, is likely to still have a bathtub ring.

2. It is unlikely to get oil in the cooling system from a failed head gasket. More likely to be from the oil or trans cooler, do you have coolant contamination in the oil or trans fluid?

3. Watch for buses with nuns!

4. Have you changed your PHH? Doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but can't believe a cooling thread has made it this far without mentioning it, so had to work it in!:hillbilly:

post a picture of your scuz.
I always have a small amount of chocolate/red film on my radiator cap. I believe it is just from having a cast iron block and never really worried about it. If I wipe it off, it just comes back. Maybe you have a rust problem?
I've done Blackstone and tested fine.

Same thing here. Chocolate coolant in the top. Slight coolant loss (from the crack in my reservoir) but no oil loss. I think its normal.

1. Oil is very difficult to fully remove from a cooling system. A simple flush without added chemistry is unlikely to remove all of it, is likely to still have a bathtub ring.

2. It is unlikely to get oil in the cooling system from a failed head gasket. More likely to be from the oil or trans cooler, do you have coolant contamination in the oil or trans fluid?

3. Watch for buses with nuns!

4. Have you changed your PHH? Doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but can't believe a cooling thread has made it this far without mentioning it, so had to work it in!:hillbilly:

Thanks for input @Tools R Us
1. Yes I have a helluva ring!
2. Im wondering this also. The Oil and Trans fluid "look" good. I think I Blackstone Lab test them...
3. Understood
4. Yes

@ mdandashly: If this is normal, this is one beastly vehicle. Oh wait, we all knew that she is...

post a picture of your scuz.
I always have a small amount of chocolate/red film on my radiator cap. I believe it is just from having a cast iron block and never really worried about it. If I wipe it off, it just comes back. Maybe you have a rust problem?
I've done Blackstone and tested fine.

See attached and thanks for continued comments/opinions!

Coolant Sludge (1).jpg

See attached and thanks for continued comments/opinions!
That doesn't look good. My discoloration is lighter, and is in the top of the radiator. The stuff in the comment reservoir shouldn't look like that

That doesn't look good. My discoloration is lighter, and is in the top of the radiator. The stuff in the comment reservoir shouldn't look like that

Yes doc, I know!
What can we do about it??.....:):crybaby:

IH8SCHZZ.COM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom