Smokers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi all,

First off, sorry if this is not the correct place in the forum, it seemed like the only "food oriented" spot here on MUD.

The wife is interested in smoking meat, fish, etc. We know nothing about this process - can anyone point us to some good sources of info about smoking fish and meat? Personal experiences with available smokers?

Thanks very much!

Alan

This is the place I frequent http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

The people there are very passionate about their hobby.

This is the smoker I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00104WRCY/?tag=ihco-20

it is referred to as the MES30 in the forum. It is a very easy and inexpensive way to get started. I ordered the retro kit directly from Masterbuilt which is a larger chip tray and allows you to use larger pieces of wood. I get much better results with it.

www.smokingmeatforums.com is a good place. You'll probably get some good info from the regulars here, too.

Consider whether you want a dedicated smoker (and the fuel type) or something like an EGG (or similar) that can also function as a full-on grill. Each has its ups and downs depending on usage.

Thanks guys for the info!

-Alan

I built my smoker. It can be setup to grill also, it's pretty versatile and cheap (Ugly Drum Smoker). BBQ & smoking is a good hobby and a lot of fun to make good food.

image.jpg

Bought a smoker about 6 months ago. If I'd been in the market for a grill at the time, I would have gone with a set up like a Traeger or I see that Cabela's is now selling their own brand of pellet grills. But, I have a Weber grill I'm super happy with, so I looked for a dedicated smoker. I decided I wanted electric for ease of use and looked at the Bradley and Masterbuilt smokers. I went with the Masterbuilt for two reasons; 1) the Bradley uses a proprietary fuel (pucks), the Masterbuilt uses just regular wood chips, and 2) cost, I got the Masterbuilt off Amazon for around $150. At that price, I figured if it was a fad for me I wasn't out any serious cash.

It's been a ton of fun to play with and cook on. Very pleased with the results and it's been a hit.

Check out Tejas Smokers--very similar to my old SmokeMaster--purely a woodburning pit--Oak/Mulberry/Hickory/whatever---somewhat tricky to get the temp stabilized at 220, but then it runs all day with little attention other than a log or two every couple of hours-- low and slow

www.bbq-brethren.com is where I dove in. Built my own UDS and use it pretty often with a lot if success. Good people there. I was actually referred by someone here so just paying it forward I guess. Good luck!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412651733.749309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412651782.881406.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412651842.230908.jpg

^Nice UDS! Where did you get the piece your thermometer runs through? I need to figure out something for a couple UDS'.

How big & how many intakes are you running?

Hey Alan,
I was in your spot afew years ago. Bought a electric $79 unit at Lowes as my boys and I were coming home with a lot of Trout.
I bought the least expensive and an electric so that I did not spend too much $$$ until I got through the learning curve, and got a lot of help right here on MUD. I'm now doing almost all fish.
-Jim

Hey Alan,
I was in your spot afew years ago. Bought a electric $79 unit at Lowes as my boys and I were coming home with a lot of Trout.
I bought the least expensive and an electric so that I did not spend too much $$$ until I got through the learning curve, and got a lot of help right here on MUD. I'm now doing almost all fish.
-Jim

I bought a cheap propane smoker from Lowes a few years ago. I discovered two things with that smoker, 1) I love the end result, 2) I didn't like the work you had to put into it with that type of smoker. I had to putz with the thing every 20 mins to make sure the temp was right. Turn the gas up, open the top vent, close a bottom vent.....20 mins later close a bottom vent, open the top more, turn the gas up again.....repeat for 5 to 6 hours. I used it a good number if times, but not as often as I wanted to. I'm not into the art of it, I just wanted some good slow cooked smoky meat.

Recently a friend bought me a Traeger for my birthday. Best present ever. I use it all the time. It really is almost set and forget. I've owned it a month and have used it maybe ten times. It says you can also grill on it, but I have a grill so have not grilled on it.

Thanks guys for the additional input!

-Alan

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input, we are considering which route to pursue.

Flattu8er, thank you for the offer of your fish recipe! :)

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom