This guy needs signal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wonder what sort of satellites he hooks up with

1412804562698.jpg

I don't see it. What am I missing?

Isn't that an old-school cell phone(or car-phone) antenna on the roof?

To the left of that cell phone antenna there is a small cylindrical antenna. At least that's what it looks like from the .5 megapixel shot the OP took of it. We have those on battalion vehicles at my work. I have always assumed they are the UHF antenna. If that is the case then no, he is not communicating with any satellites. Amateur satellite uplink and downlink is 2 meter and 70 cm. If it is radio comm then he is probably listening in on the local 800 channels, maybe to fire dispatch or police.

To the left of that cell phone antenna there is a small cylindrical antenna. At least that's what it looks like from the .5 megapixel shot the OP took of it. We have those on battalion vehicles at my work. I have always assumed they are the UHF antenna. If that is the case then no, he is not communicating with any satellites. Amateur satellite uplink and downlink is 2 meter and 70 cm. If it is radio comm then he is probably listening in on the local 800 channels, maybe to fire dispatch or police.

Could be for 4g mobile data service. I have one sitting on my desk. We install them in our ambulances for data connectivity on 4g/LTE

Could be for 4g mobile data service. I have one sitting on my desk. We install them in our ambulances for data connectivity on 4g/LTE

I think you might be right on that. Now that I think of it we do have 4g hotspots in those rigs. We use it to get mobile data from dispatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom