Dash Illumination (backlighting) not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

my '94 FJ80's night time dash illumination is not working on anything. I've had an 80 series before (and the dash lights worked) but I don't recall exactly what should be lighting up to begin with.

I took the dash apart hoping it was bad or missing bulbs, but the bulbs look ok and test fine with an ohm meter. The HVAC heater/fan controls have 3 bulbs in them, and those do not light up either. Mini LEDs inside various buttons work (HVAC, power window, rear window defrost orange light), and my regular cluster gauge warnings/lights such as brake/oil/PWR/Gear position/turn signals/headlights and the d@mned ABS light (the ONE light I wish was NOT on). My next guess is the dash dimmer switch is bad but I'm not sure how to test it. Using a multimeter, I get 12V at one of the pins on the harness when I turn the headlight switch on. It's the pin by itself turned 90 degrees from the other 2 pins. But I don't know how to test the other 2. The digital dash clock works, and it even dims when I turn the headlights on, but I'm thinking that's on a different circuit. I do not have a repair manual at this point. I thought I did (from my last '80 series), but I can no longer find it. The radio is aftermarket and does not dim (and may not be capable of dimming). The truck had a stock alarm at some point but the RS3000 unit is missing from under the seat, but I see evidence of aftermarket wiring spliced into the "Security" light to the left of the steering column. The dimmer switch is plugged in. I even took it apart but didn't see anything visually obvious or wrong with it.

All fuses are ok.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Check the "TAIL" fuse. Do the tail lights work?

Using a multimeter, I get 12V at one of the pins on the harness when I turn the headlight switch on.

All fuses are ok.

I just read this again, so maybe not the TAIL fuse.

Is the wire with the 12 volts green? (I don't have a '94 manual)
Jumper the other two together and see if the lights work.

(I assume you already checked that the dimmer wasn't fully turned down) :D

I'll check the tail light fuse again, but I checked all fuses last night including under hood and didn't see any out. I had installed a receiver hitch a couple months ago and installed a 4-pole trailer adapter and tail lights worked back then (even though dash lights were still not working).

I don't remember the color of the wire I found 12V on, but the wire shows 12V when the headlight switch is turned on, and 0V when the switch is turned off. I'm assuming if I can see 12V here, than any ties upstream to the TAIL circuit probably means the TAIL circuit is functioning as well.

Right, the positive side of the circuit is probably OK.

The dimmer (rheostat) actually varies the negative side of the circuit.

Try the jumper test I mentioned above.

Will do, thanks! Hoping it's just a dimmer switch and not butchered wiring somewhere.

I am pretty sure I tried checking resistance across those two pins, and no matter where I turned the knob, it was always open. I never saw varying resistance. That being said, when I checked for resistance, I *thought* I tried checking every combination of the 3 pins, but I may have missed checking that pair. I checked varying combinations to see if I could see any fluctuation in ohms across any 2 pins (and didn't see any at all).

Last edited:
Hoping it's just a dimmer switch and not butchered wiring somewhere.

Don't rule out both.

If the jumper test restores the lights, then the wiring is intact and you can assume it's the dimmer.

If not, confirm continuity to ground on the white/black wire.

Do all the rear lights work? Running, Reverse, Brake, signals? I had the same problem on our 94 and I remember one of the rear light circuits not working as well. I'm thinking it was the reverse lights with this situation. If this is the case, I will tell you where to look. If not keep doing what landcrshr says.

Ultimately it was the dimmer switch. Not wanting to pay $40 for a used faded Land Cruiser eBay switch, I figured and hoped Toyota still had some inter-changable parts going on between models back in the 1990's. So, I looked at dimmer switches for 4Runners, pickups, camry's, corollas, and AHAAA--CELICA's! I found a 1992 Celica dimmer switch, EXACTLY the same in every way. Bought that for $15 instead and problem solved.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Ultimately it was the dimmer switch. Not wanting to pay $40 for a used faded Land Cruiser eBay switch, I figured and hoped Toyota still had some inter-changable parts going on between models back in the 1990's. So, I looked at dimmer switches for 4Runners, pickups, camry's, corollas, and AHAAA--CELICA's! I found a 1992 Celica dimmer switch, EXACTLY the same in every way. Bought that for $15 instead and problem solved.
Where did you get it from, cheers

Hi All, I have the same problem has anyone got a link as to where I could get a replacement dimmer switch please. Thanks
I'm seeing these Toyota part numbers for the 92 Celica dimmer:
84119-20170
84140-20350
84140-20420
No idea the diff between them.
And none are $15. They are new OEM starting @$60
Ebay prob your best bet for $15.
ToyotaPartsDeal, Partsouq, Amayama, Toyotadxb, or your local dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom