Anybody raise the rear panhard at the axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for ideas on raising the rear panhard at the axle. Searching on MUD I only found a few that have done it. Anybody hack up some premade brackets like these to fit our mounts?

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/panhardtrackbar.html
http://www.barnes4wd.com/Trackbar-Mounting-Brackets_c_32.html

And here's what I've seen on MUD. Let's hear it!

rear-panhard-raised-mount-jpg.167435

032-jpg.596735

031-jpg.596736

034-jpg.596737

003-jpg.598254

I like it, have thought about doing this myself. Let me know if you decide to make up a few extra!

It is pretty common for 3rd gen 4Runners (very similar rear suspension) to run a bracket that drops the upper mount down from the frame of the truck (rather than raising the axle mount). Probably the same effect. There is a lot of documentation for it on t4r.org

It is pretty common for 3rd gen 4Runners (very similar rear suspension) to run a bracket that drops the upper mount down from the frame of the truck (rather than raising the axle mount). Probably the same effect. There is a lot of documentation for it on t4r.org

I don't thoroughly understand suspension geometry but I've read that raising it at the axle is the better choice because it raises your roll center. Or lowers it? Can't remember. Lower or higher, whichever one is better :)

Billybob did it on the Lexus on pirate.

It doesn't make raging calculator number differences, but I did it to my oneton taco and there was an undeniable setApants feel. It's the angle on it that's causing things more than it's affect on that roll axis in the rear.

I was doing high speed stuff in whoops and big rises over canal banks.

No mate er how you do it it'll probably be kinda hack/funny looking unless you strip that area down and design a new bracket from scratch there

Billybob did it on the Lexus on pirate.

It doesn't make raging calculator number differences, but I did it to my oneton taco and there was an undeniable setApants feel. It's the angle on it that's causing things more than it's affect on that roll axis in the rear.

I was doing high speed stuff in whoops and big rises over canal banks.

No mate er how you do it it'll probably be kinda hack/funny looking unless you strip that area down and design a new bracket from scratch there

Found it! I have this thread bookmarked because it's so badass. Wish there were more pics of it, but looks pretty simple. Interesting little cross brace he put in there tied to the upper control arm bracket

655194d1330119182-expedition-lexus-highsteer-011.jpg

Notice what?
The difference.

But booger says I'm wrong.

It's a very long link in factory form so the lateral displacement is less significant than with shorter panhards. But it's an easy thing to mod so rock out if you're bored.

So can you share the link you had bookmarked please :)

So if I raise my panhard on the axle side I should make it parallel to the axle? I have long shocks so I get more travel, will this cause any interference?

The difference.

But booger says I'm wrong.

It's a very long link in factory form so the lateral displacement is less significant than with shorter panhards. But it's an easy thing to mod so rock out if you're bored.

A 40" panhard will move ~ 1 5/8" in 10" of up/down. On down travel you feel nothing because the chassis in unloaded(cresting a hill, bump, jump, etc). This is only relevant if it's flat at ride height.

If not you transfer that affective length to a weird side force to the frame in up travel(when loading the chassis). It's very noticeable at speed going over decent rises in the country, canals, for example. Or in the dunes and forestry roads.

Even my girlfriend can feel 1 5/8"(or so she says) :flipoff2:

... On down travel you feel nothing because the chassis in unloaded(cresting a hill, bump, jump, etc). ...

Except on the '80 the panhards are opposing, so when unloading the body does a jig to the right, when landing to the left. It's mostly only a body jig, but the instinct is to correct with the wheel.

A 40" panhard will move ~ 1 5/8" in 10" of up/down. On down travel you feel nothing because the chassis in unloaded(cresting a hill, bump, jump, etc). This is only relevant if it's flat at ride height.

If not you transfer that affective length to a weird side force to the frame in up travel(when loading the chassis). It's very noticeable at speed going over decent rises in the country, canals, for example. Or in the dunes and forestry roads.

Even my girlfriend can feel 1 5/8"(or so she says) :flipoff2:
Maybe you are hyper sensitive to stuff. Or I drive slow.

10" is a lot of suspension travel for most scenarios. Though it did, I didn't notice the lateral displacement going away when I went from an angled panhard to a triangulated setup.

And good discussion, let's keep it going! Any pictures too if anybody has some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom