My new 98 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Just bought a 98 in Phoenix for $8000 with 147k on the odometer. One female owner, all dealer maintained, thoroughly listed on the Carfax. Timing belt was done in 2005 at 90k, new drive axles, new rack and pinion, new junk tires. Pleasant surprise when I looked in the glove box and found the receipts for all that stuff and much more. She gave me all the books and manuals that came with it, even the window sticker, $53,000:) She bought it with all options, rear diff lock, front brush guard (which met my sawzall asap), running boards, sunroof and so on. Was a Utah vehicle and has no rust at all. It has a fair amount of door dings but I plan to do some body work and re-paint the sides because i'm picky and I restore classic VW's, so some ding repair will be easy. I started with a good 2 day clean-up, mostly on the interior. scrubbing those seats, panels, headrests and everything else. I shampooed the carpet very well, the LC cleaned up nicely, although it wasn't nasty to begin with. Removed the brush guards (front and back), and peeled off the crappy fake wood dash stickers on the hottest day possible. Next, I moved to the wheels.

I bought a set of 2007 Tundra rims with rolling AT tires for $200. I am rolling them now awaiting funds for new tires. I then sold the original 16's with the "Fuzion" tires for $200.;)

Next I ordered the Magic Mender leather repair and color kit. I feel like it worked really good for $70, I think I applied it too heavy in a couple areas and its slightly cracked, but it looks nice anyway. I have conditioned the seats several times with Griots leather conditioner and they have really softened up.

98 LC before .jpg

98 LC tundra rims.JPG

refurbish seats3.JPG

refurbish seats2.jpg

refurbish seats.jpg

Reactions: BEG
Stereo! This had to happen. I am a sound quality snob, and enjoy a nice stereo. Kenwood 75 watt door separates on a 300 watt Alpine 4 channel amp, 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" subs on a 500 watt Alpine amp, and a cheap Pioneer head unit. I really enjoyed installing this stuff, it was like the old days again. The 4 channel amp went under the passenger seat, the other amp I installed behind the right rear panel, I removed the storage box on the bottom of the panel and mounted it inside there. I can access the amp controls by opening the door, it worked out nice and I didn't have to cut up anything. The factory speaker grills in the doors are so horrible, very sound muffling.

I decided to cut a hole in the factory grills, wrap the old grill with padding and matching vinyl. Then, mount my speakers on the top of the factory grill. The Kenwood grills are much much better for sound quality. I removed the Kenwood grills on the tweeters and mounted them in the factory front door tweeter grills, that helped with the tweeters sound so that it wouldn't get muffled. I had to pop the old tweeters off and glue the Kenwood's back on the factory bracket. I drilled a whole in the back doors for the rear tweeters. I wanted these to look like they might have been original (at least to the average person) so I painted the grills to match the interior. It worked nicely, not a perfect match but close. Prep is everything to get paint to stick to things like speaker grills and plastic ABS.

More to come, Need money. Same dream that we all have, 2.5" lift, bumpers, roof rack, tires, blah blah blah. Cant wait. Very fun, love the 100.

98 LC stereo1.JPG

98 LC stereo2.JPG

98 LC stereo8.JPG

98 LC stereo10.JPG

98 LC stereo11.JPG

Just bought a 98 in Phoenix for $8000 with 147k on the odometer. One female owner, all dealer maintained, thoroughly listed on the Carfax. Timing belt was done in 2005 at 90k, new drive axles, new rack and pinion, new junk tires. Pleasant surprise when I looked in the glove box and found the receipts for all that stuff and much more. She gave me all the books and manuals that came with it, even the window sticker, $53,000:) She bought it with all options, rear diff lock, front brush guard (which met my sawzall asap), running boards, sunroof and so on. Was a Utah vehicle and has no rust at all. It has a fair amount of door dings but I plan to do some body work and re-paint the sides because i'm picky and I restore classic VW's, so some ding repair will be easy. I started with a good 2 day clean-up, mostly on the interior. scrubbing those seats, panels, headrests and everything else. I shampooed the carpet very well, the LC cleaned up nicely, although it wasn't nasty to begin with. Removed the brush guards (front and back), and peeled off the crappy fake wood dash stickers on the hottest day possible. Next, I moved to the wheels.

I bought a set of 2007 Tundra rims with rolling AT tires for $200. I am rolling them now awaiting funds for new tires. I then sold the original 16's with the "Fuzion" tires for $200.;)

Next I ordered the Magic Mender leather repair and color kit. I feel like it worked really good for $70, I think I applied it too heavy in a couple areas and its slightly cracked, but it looks nice anyway. I have conditioned the seats several times with Griots leather conditioner and they have really softened up.

Congrats to you and welcome to the Mud. Very nice and clean rig!! :)

Looks nice. I am looking into the Tundra wheels as well, did you notice any difference in the ride quality?

Welcome to Mud.

Great job on the speaker/amp/HU install.

Very clean!

Looks nice. I am looking into the Tundra wheels as well, did you notice any difference in the ride quality?
I did not notice any difference at all, but I don't drive it too much. It looks so much better though.

First trip to Lake Powell from Flagstaff pulling my bass boat that weighs 3800 lbs. I filled up before we left and when I returned, did the math and had 13.41 MPG. Not bad at all considering there was a few big up hill climbs.

Congratulations on that new rig. All of your hard work is paying off. Tires, rims, leather, details and the stereo upgrade look great.

Help me if you can please. I want to upgrade my stereo including a Bluetooth video-receiver unit with backup camera (great for backing up to the boat trailer) as well as the speakers and amp.

I have a few questions if you don't mind Kelly. I'm a novice with audio but I have a Bose system in my Buick And it puts the cruiser system to shame

1.) you wrote that you installed a 4 chennel amp. Are there 8 positive(+) and 8 ground (-) connections on that amp? How do you run 4 tweeters and 4 midrange speakers on one 4 channel amp?

2.) additionally how do you run two woofers on a single amp?

3.). Where can I get what seems to be almost perfectly matched vinyl? Is there a name and or color?

4.) Did you use brand name paint? What is the color called?

Thank you!

@kelly saad BUMP
Id love to know how your build has progressed. This is one of my favorite 100s out there right now. Looks super clean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom