Front Axle Service Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dumb questions I am going to ask... and assume I searched around quite a bit to avoid any humility...

Front (locked) third..
Need to reseal the front diff during a knuckle rebuild and havent removed an elocker version before. FSM says there are 11 nuts for a locked front. Only found 8 staring me in the face. Trying to not remove stuff that doesnt need to be. Do I need to pull the elocker to find the other 3?

There are 11. Look at the actuator.

Thanks for the reply Dan! Will get to looking. :)

After some rember'n... I forgot these were retrofitted lockers so, maybe means less bolts?? (I will count again but think it was 9 total)

Was wondering...
1. How have others cleaned all the old oil, crap, gunk outta the third? Dump gas in there and let it sit?
2. What about cleaning up the mating surfaces on the housing and third? Planning to use peramtex black silicone sealant cause of the retrofit and it may not be a good OEM gasket surface.

That all my dummy questions for the day :D

If the retrofit was done improperly there is a possibility that you would have fewer than 11 studs.

Thanks for the replies Dan. Figured it out... and problem now solved :D. This project is ballooning. Get to take my time since its not my DD anymore (paint everything, thoroughly clean, painting wheel wells, clean motor + drivetrain well, button up some electical, blackout grill, fix ARB running lights, etc.)

For those that may care... used a brass wire wheel to cleanup all the surfaces.

After hours of cleaning (and over cleaning) reassemble will start!

Ran across this... mounting surface facing the diff... pitting for sure. Was thinking a very thin layer of silicone sealant to fill the voids... believe its just the mounting surface for the felt so no biggie and may not even be necessary. FWIW, everything related to this side of the truck needed more love (bearings, sludge in housing, some rusty-ish stuff, etc.)

photo.JPG

Hey, dont muck up my dead techless thread with your mod suggestions :moon:

Edit: I will buy you endless beers and as many warm bottles of black velvet if you help me cut a new diff in :D

Black velvet is Black Death!!! So glad those days are gone :D

I'm sure I'll be @Bear creek in beginning/mid October for Jon/Brody bday parties(?)

I can give you endless pics of your rear Elocker disassembled for tech, (mines all apart here), but that's little/no help on the front I'm guessing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom