What would you pay? 60 with rear main seal leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear main seal is usually mis diagnosed I would bet on oil pan gasket.

That truck is worth the asking price over on our side of the country easily. I would check the truck thoroughly for other issue and then make an offer you're confortable with

price sounds good... these rigs have gone up consuderably in value in the last 5 years. Hard to find a good clean on for that rice anymore it seems

I like that the value seems to be rising on these so quickly. ...I wonder at what point will that tip me over the edge?... :doh:

I agree that it could also be the oil pan and/or side cover gasket, but I would not be surprised if it was the rear main. Apparently the front main seals are a PIA to change so look out for those leaking if your looking at rigs. Although, nothing should go wrong if your checking your oil level regularly. (like you should be with a 30 year old truck!!) ie. don't sweat the small stuff. The rear main can be replaced when you get to needing to change the clutch.

Ballin on a budget in Beverly Hills, damn

My 2 cents:

If you have read a bit on Mud and have researched what is involved with owning a Fj60, and you really want one, that one looks pretty nice to me & I would check it out. Personally, I would pay for a compression check on the engine before I purchased it for sure. But that's just me. The roof can be touched-up and painted by yourself to stave off rust if you want to save some cash.. or it could be re-sprayed by a shop. Leaking gaskets or a little rust is not a deal breaker for these cars. They all eventually start leaking & rusting given enough time… & even if it wasn't leaking now… a couple years after you owned it, it probably would.

Also… the type of oil that is in the car has a big effect on how much it leaks oil.
In my FJ60 (before I replaced all the gaskets) it was a leaker with pure synthetic motor oil in the oil pan. When I replaced the pure synth oil with a semi-synthetic hi-mileage type oil (10W-40), that supposedly stops leaks…. the leaks stopped.

I like that the value seems to be rising on these so quickly. ...I wonder at what point will that tip me over the edge?... :doh:

I agree that it could also be the oil pan and/or side cover gasket, but I would not be surprised if it was the rear main. Apparently the front main seals are a PIA to change so look out for those leaking if your looking at rigs. Although, nothing should go wrong if your checking your oil level regularly. (like you should be with a 30 year old truck!!) ie. don't sweat the small stuff. The rear main can be replaced when you get to needing to change the clutch.
Thank you. I have a 1967 Mini Cooper S, that I finished a full restore, and chased away all the oil leaks. Leaks are just bothersome. Then again everything British in my garage seems to leak!

The 60s are almost approaching 100 prices. Personally I am looking for the manual trans. Though I prefer the look of the 62 much better (I am in the minority).

My 2 cents:

If you have read a bit on Mud and have researched what is involved with owning a Fj60, and you really want one, that one looks pretty nice to me & I would check it out. Personally, I would pay for a compression check on the engine before I purchased it for sure. But that's just me. The roof can be touched-up and painted by yourself to stave off rust if you want to save some cash.. or it could be re-sprayed by a shop. Leaking gaskets or a little rust is not a deal breaker for these cars. They all eventually start leaking & rusting given enough time… & even if it wasn't leaking now… a couple years after you owned it, it probably would.

Also… the type of oil that is in the car has a big effect on how much it leaks oil.
In my FJ60 (before I replaced all the gaskets) it was a leaker with pure synthetic motor oil in the oil pan. When I replaced the pure synth oil with a semi-synthetic hi-mileage type oil (10W-40), that supposedly stops leaks…. the leaks stopped.
Been here a few years and constantly been reading. Really have been looking for a stock FJ60, no rust for a while. Prices are all over of course. I don't want a concours truck for 15K. Really want a truck, that can be driven 5-7K miles a year. Maintain and drive.

Makes sense on the oil type....

I will see if seller is ok with compression check...

Locally 60s seem to be had for 3500-15,000$, whereas in SE asia I can get these for almost free all day long.

I've watched a lot of FJ60 sales in CA. That truck is nice, but a couple thou over-priced. Every time gas goes back to $4+ it's get correspondingly harder to move them. I'd check for rust that isn't mentioned. Possible repaint.

That rust on the inner A pillar is a concern. I would take it to a shop and have them do a pre purchase inspection for you. It usually costs 100 bucks, but then you will get another opinion. Likely it needs more than just a rear main seal. Not everybody is exactly prompt and concerned with keeping the engine and other internals in good shape. Honesty though, if the rust on the roof gutter and A pillar are more than surface rust, I would look elsewhere.

Honesty though, if the rust on the roof gutter and A pillar are more than surface rust, I would look elsewhere.

Yup, concerns about a rust cover up going on there.
Since you live in California, another consideration is that the 60s are more problematic than 62s when it comes time to smog them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom