Rear cross member rust attack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided that since it was unusually warm for this time of the year, it was a good time to attack some nasty rust on my rear cross member. I was supposed to do this last year, and earlier this year but some health issues got in the way. I removed the rust with a spot blaster I picked up at Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbor Freight). Before I could attack the rust I had to drill out four broken M8 bolts that were seized. I just had time to throw a coat of some self-etching primer. I'm hoping to attack the rest next weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How's the cross section in front of that? That's the one that rusts the most.

How's the cross section in front of that? That's the one that rusts the most.

It's bad as well. Essentially everything from the rear axle back needs to be sand blasted incl the axle.

You can always just scrape it then apply corrosionX HD. It will stop the rust and prevent as well. Unless you care what it looks like.

You can always just scrape it then apply corrosionX HD. It will stop the rust and prevent as well. Unless you care what it looks like.

After seeing the pics in the two threads below from superjuice, Corrosion X is next on my list of things to buy, but I'll try to get it looking good first like he did. The plan is to keep the truck for many more years, so dealing with the rust is now more of a priority.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ru...possible-purchase-needed.817047/#post-9348334

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruiser-rust.339231/

a 4x4labs bumper would fix that "problem" right up.

:lol: That was my first thought as well.

I knew someone was going to say that. :flipoff2:

Maybe we can do a group buy on rear bumpers, shipped to Ogdensburg? :)

Going to ask the guy in seeing on Tuesday about a rear bumber as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom