HOW TO: Installing a GPS Tracker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Over the years I've had:
  • 79 Toyota 4WD P'up stolen, never to be seen from again.
  • 91 Toyota 4Runner 4WD stolen, used in a robbery and burned to the ground...in UT.
  • 86 Toyota 60 Series stolen but found a few days later.
Needless to say, I got tired of it. What I used to do was just use my old iPhone 4G, hidden, all sounds off, hidden in the truck with a data plan. I needed it to do one thing and that was let me use the Find My iPhone app. Worked fine. Then my kid lost his 5S and I didn't feel like dropping a few hundred for another phone. So I popped out the 4G but that leaves the LX without tracking. Me no likey.

I ordered the GPS Tracker from Amazon for all of like $30. Comes with all the wiring to add a GPS antenna, GPRS antenna, Micro-SD, SMS via SIM, Microphone, shock sensor, backup battery, etc.

TMobile is charging $10/mo. for a data plan SIM.

At this point I only have the preliminary done but its not ready to install. The actual install will be further through this thread but there are going to be a few bits that I will not include of course ;)

Here is what the package looks like and the GPS Tracker itself.
IMG_8398.JPG
IMG_8399.JPG

Last edited:
First order of business was trying to figure out where to hide the box. Well, its a box that says "GPS Tracker" right on it. So first thing is to hide it before I hide. This means putting inside of a case. I picked the Pelican 1020 Micro case. The Tracker fits in perfectly. I Dremel'd out a few holes, one for each antenna and microphone, and one for the harness wires. Basically it requires (3) 3/8" holes with a little notch needed in one of them.

IMG_8421.JPG
IMG_8422.JPG

Anyway, before I was so ruuuuudely interupted :flipoff2:

I went thru each connection to be sure that everything was crimped properly and everything was clean without a break in the wire or something stupid. Well, I found something stupid. One of the crimps for the fuse wasn't solid. I opened up the fuse holder and soldered it into place. Because the harness, inside the case, wasn't going to go anywhere I wasn't too concerned about making sure it was crimped, I just soldered and left it.

On the second pic you can see the "largest" of the connectors. Its not much to get this to fit into the 3/8" hole with a small notch.

IMG_8423.JPG
IMG_8424.JPG

Next thing I wanted to do is to get all of the wires wrapped and organized. So I starting taping ends and used wire sheathing where I could to make everything cleaner. You can see the three holes drilled out using a dremel. In the next photo is the GPS Tracker with the connectors attached. Everything JUST fits.
IMG_8425.JPG
IMG_8426.JPG
IMG_8428.JPG
IMG_8430.JPG

Used a couple spots of VHB tape to adhere the GPS Tracker to the Pelican case itself. I didn't want this thing banging around and damaging itself. This isn't exactly the highest quality piece.
IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8432.JPG
IMG_8433.JPG

IMG_8434.JPG
I had to remove the Silicone sleeve/pocket that was inside the case to get the GPS Tracker to it. BUT, I still wanted the water-proofyness that the case originally offered. This meant cutting off the lid from around the sleeve. This now acts as an O-Ring. Now you can see how everything sits.

IMG_8435.JPG
IMG_8436.JPG

So here is how it all looks. All I need to do is decide on the Pelican case's final resting place and then wire everything up. You can see what is left to attach. Its two antennas, one microphone and then the individual connections needed which of course includes 12v constant power. The install will be another day but for tonight I will be siliconing the three holes I drilled in the case to be sure everything is water-tight again.
IMG_8437.JPG
IMG_8438.JPG

You couldnt use a drill bit to make the holes? What a hack... :flipoff2:

You couldnt use a drill bit to make the holes? What a hack... :flipoff2:

That's the easy way out :flipoff2:

Actually I wanted to minimize the amount of drilling. After it was all said and done its just easier for the next person to just drill (3) 3/8" holes :p

Will this device work at places with no phone signal?

It will still work but I won't be able to text in to it until it gets into cell range. Where I live there are very few places to go without reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom