clinometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My will power threshold is low today. First paid app for my Android phone is Roll Me Over. Clinometer, compass, GPS location and altitude. All in one display! ...and with a Land Cruiser icon showing the tilt. $1.50

Back in the day, I had one very similar to this mounted on the dash of my 40...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1411512791.267667.jpg

I watched a guy messing around once with a 40 on 2-tons testing his flop over angle and he took a section of chain and went around the sliders, tied the chain off to a 33,000lb forklift and pick the 40 up until it tipped over and was caught by the chain so it didn't cause damage. I was amazed at how far it actually went.

Back in the day, I had one very similar to this mounted on the dash of my 40... View attachment 945520

I got one like that right now and it works great! Same as the ones on my sailboats! Cost about $12 I think, got it from Hamilton Marine.

But then I hate electronic stuff, I've historically had really bad luck with electronics...

I got one like that right now and it works great! Same as the ones on my sailboats! Cost about $12 I think, got it from Hamilton Marine.

But then I hate electronic stuff, I've historically had really bad luck with electronics...

...but my app only cost $1.50 (plus the $400 phone, $12 mount, etc.) and if my battery dies, so does the app
(and I have no phone.)

I know these look cool but when I think about the physics involved in a rollover, I can't understand why this would be a good tool.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. Genuinely interested.

Seems like static incline is much less important than understanding weight transfer on a certain line...

I don't get on the trail as much as I'd like. Seeing a gauge say I'm at 15-20 degrees side hill helps me past my initial pucker factor, and reminds me I still have some before I dump it on it's side. (Of course that margin can disappear in a moment, when you touch a new rock, slip a down hill tire off something, etc.) I've also found it interesting to know how steep a given hill is. Different tires, dusty or wet trail, air pressure, etc all play a roll in what you can climb. Sometimes it's also nice to know how steep.

Fun toys but fairly worthless from a safety standpoint. I rolled an 80 on flat ground, I've also be at ~45* incline and decline without harm. There's way to many factors for a simple gauge to calculate.

Fun toys but fairly worthless from a safety standpoint. I rolled an 80 on flat ground, I've also be at ~45* incline and decline without harm. There's way to many factors for a simple gauge to calculate.
Ya but they look cool.

Honestly, If I'm a situation where I might flop my rig, a gauge on my dash (or my phone... :lol: ) . . .

Is the last place I'm going to be looking.

:meh:

Honestly, If I'm a situation where I might flop my rig, a gauge on my dash (or my phone... :lol: ) . . .

Is the last place I'm going to be looking.

:meh:

If you're busy watching a gauge or your phone, you're more likely to flop your rig.:doh::steer:

^x2,, I did say ,,, back in the day,, mid 70s,, I don't use useless gizmology any longer

Although I had the same device pictured by the OP in my last two 4x4's,I doubt I looked at it more than a dozen times in a similar number of years. (I used up all the fun in my last two trucks, so I stripped them for parts. The gauge was one of the treasures I took from the broken vehicles.) The only places I recall looking at the gauge were:
1) The top of "5 Fingers" hill climb at Hollister Hills SVRA (around 30 degrees)
2) Where I stopped driving up the competition hill climb at Hollister (just over 30 degrees)
3) A (side hill) parking space in San Francisco, where I was pretty sure I was going to roll my lifted, top heavy 4x4. (It turns out I just wasn't in a "she can take it" state of mind. The street was less than 15 degrees, and I was just being a scared little princess.)

...so I think the OP got his reply that they don't get used much, even by the gadget kids that buy them. To reply to the question on placement; that's (where shown in the first post) where I had planned to put mine. It blocks the flow from the A/C a bit. That's more important for people in the back seats. My truck only needs A/C for the front. (I've been thinking of removing all the rear seats.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom