gm 4.3 tbi chip for 2f motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
okay, I am just throwing this out there, not begging, just need a little help. I am in process of obtaining all components for a gm 4.3 tbi on my 77 2f, fj40 and, like most of ya'll , hit a snag with programming a chip for a 1227747 ecm. can't reach tom Quinn or chetw77cruiser, who supposedly gave program to tom Quinn, but from what I hear, their programmed chip worked really well. if I could get this eprom image and find someone to burn it for me I would be set up. didn't think it would be that hard with all these land cruiser people to find someone but evidently it is. well, so far I have a lot invested[no salvage parts] and am going with Downey's system and adapter which seems to be a good one. have a chevy astro van chip[which he recommended]. also said get chip from a 350 blazer, and nothing against him, but it goes against the grain of my thinking as a 350 is way bigger than a 4.3. but maybe I am missing something as I know nothing about it. just trying to do better than 12 m.p.g. which I believe is possible. I have a 2f with headers, 4speed, 4-11 gears, and its bored .020 over. weber 32-36. runs great, just sucks on gas. wonder, do all us newbies have to pay our dues? just kidding. man, with all these good folks out there, surely someone knows something. ya'll let me in on it. I would do it myself but I am not smart at all[barely can work my computer], much less do a complicated program. don't expect it to be free, willing to pay for something that really works as I would have to buy lots of stuff to tune it anyway. so anyway helpppp! someone please give me some good news. happy trails!!!

Brandon Austin (OlympiaFJ60) spent a lot of time working with a TBI 2F and might still have the information. I haven't seen anything of him for quite a while, but you might be able to find him by pinging the South Sound Cruisers list in the Clubhouse section (https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/wa-south-sound-cruisers.118/)

Search: "TBI" the stock 4.3 has been said multiple times to work best.

Don't over think this, try it first in its stock program strait out of the Astro Van.
That's what I did and I would not change a thing.

Mike, I probably got in a hurry and misunderstood your question. The #1227747 ECU is used in both 4.3 V6's and 5.0/5.7 V8's, but their chips are different, so you can use #1227747 ECU from the V8, but the chip that works the best is a Chevy S-10/AstroVan with auto tranny (can't explain why the auto tranny chip works better than the stick shift chip, just tested out that way). The cubic inches are almost the same for Toyota straight 6 and GM V6, that's probably why GM's stock chip works so well. Perhaps there are some guys on Mud that think they can reprogram these chips better than GM did, but ?????

Couple avenues I think of. Easiest is trying the stock 4.3 chip. You can try calling Howell fuel injection, they will make you a chip. You can also take it to a tuner and have it tuned. I could burn you one of my personal programs myself, but I haven't done it for a while and am rusty at it, my latest is not perfect but it hauls. Another guy you could ask that seems to have his dialed in is Trollhole. He did it on his cruiser. I have one of his programs actually on my computer somewhere, not sure how good it is but you could try it. You could buy the equipment to do it yourself, should be about 500 bucks or less from Tuner Cat. Also keep in mind the less sensors you use from the factory set up, the more bugs you will have and lesser chance of getting optimal fuel mileage.

I don't know the rules about posting vendor info on this forum but we have a Performance Corvette shop here in Florida and we do all of our tuning on the new Corvettes, but I use a person who tunes all of our customers with older Corvettes, the tuned port, throttle body, and LT1 Corvettes for us. He was a GM calibrator for those year vehicles and works with GM and Tuner Cat software, he's retired but still does some side work on older vehicles. A great guy named Jim Smith in New Smyrna Florida. Message me for his phone number as I don't know if the rules will allow me to post it.
Cheers, Geoff.

I don't know the rules about posting vendor info on this forum but we have a Performance Corvette shop here in Florida and we do all of our tuning on the new Corvettes, but I use a person who tunes all of our customers with older Corvettes, the tuned port, throttle body, and LT1 Corvettes for us. He was a GM calibrator for those year vehicles and works with GM and Tuner Cat software, he's retired but still does some side work on older vehicles. A great guy named Jim Smith in New Smyrna Florida. Message me for his phone number as I don't know if the rules will allow me to post it.
Cheers, Geoff.
man, that's good news. far as it goes, any news is good news! thanks for your reply. kind of thought I was all by myself on this. couldn't find my way out of the woods. HA! that's great. my email is mikephillips663@yahoo.com if you need it and thanks again Geoff. btw, I love that troopy, wish I had one.

man, that's good news. far as it goes, any news is good news! thanks for your reply. kind of thought I was all by myself on this. couldn't find my way out of the woods. HA! that's great. my email is mikephillips663@yahoo.com if you need it and thanks again Geoff. btw, I love that troopy, wish I had one.

Thanks Mike, message sent to your e-mail.

Need to get Woody to allow .Bin attachments.

Don't want to get in an argument on who's setup is best. Mine works great for my purpose which is to haul ass. I don't have all the sensors and it probably wouldn't do anyone any good since I run a 262 cam.

Need to get Woody to allow .Bin attachments.

Don't want to get in an argument on who's setup is best. Mine works great for my purpose which is to haul ass. I don't have all the sensors and it probably wouldn't do anyone any good since I run a 262 cam.
hey again trollhole. man, I am grateful for anything you send me. maybe, because of everyone's help, I can get this thing worked out where it does real good for me. then, maybe I can help someone else with what I did. thanks, man. I was lost in the woods.

Couple avenues I think of. Easiest is trying the stock 4.3 chip. You can try calling Howell fuel injection, they will make you a chip. You can also take it to a tuner and have it tuned. I could burn you one of my personal programs myself, but I haven't done it for a while and am rusty at it, my latest is not perfect but it hauls. Another guy you could ask that seems to have his dialed in is Trollhole. He did it on his cruiser. I have one of his programs actually on my computer somewhere, not sure how good it is but you could try it. You could buy the equipment to do it yourself, should be about 500 bucks or less from Tuner Cat. Also keep in mind the less sensors you use from the factory set up, the more bugs you will have and lesser chance of getting optimal fuel mileage.
thanks for the input white stripe. man, anything I get from you folks helps a lot. believe I will try stock chip [ probably from astro van like Downey suggested]. have heard may not have to do anything to it but drive it. that would be so cool. I am keeping my ears and my mind open and just maybe I won't mess it up. I'll keep looking at these posts for anything I can find. thanks again man. Happy Trails!

Mike, I probably got in a hurry and misunderstood your question. The #1227747 ECU is used in both 4.3 V6's and 5.0/5.7 V8's, but their chips are different, so you can use #1227747 ECU from the V8, but the chip that works the best is a Chevy S-10/AstroVan with auto tranny (can't explain why the auto tranny chip works better than the stick shift chip, just tested out that way). The cubic inches are almost the same for Toyota straight 6 and GM V6, that's probably why GM's stock chip works so well. Perhaps there are some guys on Mud that think they can reprogram these chips better than GM did, but ?????
Hi Downey. I just now got your message. didn't click on right thing on my email. barely know how to work this computer. yeah, after I read that on your info sheet, I ordered a chip from astro van with auto. trans. still getting a few things from your list, just about have it I think. looked for a 78-87 ignition dist., haven't found one yet bit I was looking at hook-up for it on painless harness and wondered if I could do an hei dist. for easy hook-up and not use ignition coil and module. have to have special wire maybe? I know it has to have a sine signal, but heard this "special" hook-up would take care of that. again, just trying to learn. could you let me know? also, would 4.3 injectors be better for throttle body that I have? thanks for everything.

Don't over think this, try it first in its stock program strait out of the Astro Van.
thanks Heron. I probably am overthinking this. WOW! that really is some good news! I have ordered chip from astro van and that would be so cool to just get it hooked up and drive it. that's what I was hoping for. let me ask, did you use injectors from 4.3? thinking of getting some re-built ones just to be safe. also, did you go with 78-87 fj40 ignition dist. and modify it? heard you can go with an HEI if you use some kind of hook-up with it to produce a sine signal like you need. haven't found the fj40 one yet and noticed what the connector looked like on the painless harness. one last ? if you don't mind. any estimate on what kind of mileage you are getting? man I got lots of replies from my post[thought I was lost in the woods] and I appreciate everyone of them. thanks a lot Heron, I needed that. Happy Trails, till we meet again!

Search: "TBI" the stock 4.3 has been said multiple times to work best.
Alaskan Wheeler- much thanks man. that's what I have heard too. going to try chip from astro van. I heard it works really well. like not even needing to program it. have high hopes on this deal[and lots of $ spent] but I am hoping it will pay for itself with savings on fuel. have heard reports on pretty good mileage with Downey's system and that's what I am going with. be so cool if it worked that way. heck, I could afford to go somewhere, see some country in style. sure like these land cruisers, all different styles and models. again, thanks a lot for your input. it helps a lot. Happy Trails!

Hi Mike, yes I used the injectors that were in the throttle body. Yes I used a 78-87 dizzy modified it per Downey, ( locked it in the home base position using stainless locking wire. ) Also pulled the compleat wiring harness with connectors. I did check the mileage, got 17.85 mpg. I have not run another check yet but I know that it is good from comparing the amount of fuel used on several trail rides. Just to clarify my mod, I pulled all of my system from one van. Made the TBI adaptor plate from a scrap piece of one inch thick aluminum plate.

hey Heron- been looking at all these posts just seeing what I can pick up and ran on yours to me in sept. of last year. I just got 3 chips in the mail; AKMH, AKDX, and an AKSB. also have an ABDU. my cruiser runs really good but was getting 12 mpg and still get the same. hard to believe with it running so well. wonder, what chip you used, and if you had it tuned. I think you said you got 17.85 mpg. my engine ran good before the swap and I really thought id at least get 16 mpg. can you let me know what you used, maybe I can try that. I wonder if maybe my o2 sensor is bad and not mixing my fuel right. 14.7-1 I think. it does run good though. please get back with me if you can. thanks.

Just about anyone that claims almost 18mpg reliably out of a f series motor is feeding you something.

Also, you have multiple links in this thread of people that can reburn your chip. THIS is why it gets so frustrating that you start so many threads on the same subject.

Also, there is not a 78-87 Distributor. There were at least two variations of fully electronic Distributors for that time frame that I am aware of.

I think I posted this link on one of your threads.
http://www.tomquinn.com/lc/2f_fi/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom