shock/strut question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
So I've got LBJ's waiting to install now I need to get my shocks and struts ordered. After reading quite a few posts on the subject, I think I am going to go with the Bilstein 4600 series. What I am not 100% clear on is what to order. Can you please confirm that these parts are what I need?

Part Number: BIL24-187244
Part Number: BIL24-024518

Also I remember reading that there are some other bolts or something that one would need that isn't included. Can't remember what they are though.

Thanks for the help.

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

Sorry, first post in this section. 2001 limited, 4wd, 168k. Normally I'm in the 40 section. Got this beauty in July and I'm loving it! Yes, OEM LBJ's from CDan.
00a0a_jFqPbLJZZLV_600x450.jpg

Not sure on the rears, and not sure about the bolts, but on the fronts you will have to swap the top hat and coils from your old ones. That will require a coilspring/ strut compresser. Other than that you should reuse all the factory hardware. 3 bolts up top and 1 on bottom gets the CO out, compress spring, remove top hat, swap compressed spring and OE hat onto new shock, reinstall in reverse order.

Also leaving the LBJ unbolted until after the new COs in will make the reinstall easier for you. And if your looking for a little lift the tundra 5100s are a popular upgrade up front. If you plan on a bumper or any extra weight up front the lift will help keep you from sagging.

Nice looking rig. I love my 3rd Gen.

My rig is identical to yours. I am at 146,000 mi and the ride is getting rougher. I don't want to lift it, just keep it OEM. Do I call CDan and just specify this? Are you happy with the ride? What did it cost you, if you don't mind?

CDan got me the LBJ's for $90.xx each + shipping. He'll be able to get you the OEM shocks and struts as well. He'll need your VIN #.
I wanted to go w the Bilsteins and found that Autoplicity has them for $63 and $68 plus the ride.

https://autoplicity.com/shoppingcart.aspx

O'Reilly's confirmed those part numbers today, going to order the set tomorrow.

I'm not trying to lift mine either. Stock height is fine on this for my needs. I haven't swapped anything yet so I can't comment on the ride. From what I have read, the Bilsteins I am going to install offer the best ride on the road, little body sway while cornering and longevity. LBJ's are just for peace of mind.

Jynx,

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully that will make R&R a bit easier.

Jon

Thanks!

Jynx,

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully that will make R&R a bit easier.

Jon

You are welcome. One other thing I might offer, this is a good time to check your outer tie-rod ends. They are attached to the LBJ and you will either need a seperater that won't destroy the boots or a new TRE. I got a set but didn't have time to take it to the shop afterward so haven't replaced them yet.

Well, ALL of my tools to be able to do this are in storage in San Diego. Sucks, and I've had to buy a few basics to do little things, but we can always use spares. Fortunately, there's an auto hobby shop on base with way more tools than I'll ever have. They also have very cheap stall rental, free help from qualified mechanics, it's an awesome benny that a lot of folks don't use. Time, family, etc. We get pretty busy some times.

I'll check those rod ends and order as required. Thanks again Jynx.

20140625_135123-1.jpg
BTW, here's my other rides... can't resist showing off. :grinpimp:

Guess my first reply got deleted. F'ing cell phone typing. I'll definitely check the TRE's and order as required. Again, thanks Jynx!

Last edited:
Sweet 40!! Are you on The Big Island?

Thanks Haggis,

Na I'm on Oahu, I only have the 4runner here with me. I'm stationed at Camp Smith. The other vehicles are in New Mexico (can only ship one on the government's dime). Thought about bringing the 40 over but I didn't want the salt exposure and I've got a 40+ mile round trip commute. Gas is at $4.11 right now, and that's the cheapest it's been since I've been here.

Smart man, keeping that beautiful 40 in the rust free desert. I'm planning on visiting the Big Island this October. Always on the lookout for Landcruisers. Hope to add a nice 40 like yours to the herd! Let me know how that 4Runner suspension feels.
Thanks! Jeff

One thing on installing the fronts. They don't come with the rubber bushings above/below the top mount any more. You either reuse your old ones or buy new. I put the Bilstein's in it around 100k miles and they really improved the handling a lot. Urethane sway bar bushings helped a bunch too. A coworker owns our's now and it's at about 230k with those same shocks. Still rides great.

Thanks Haggis,

Na I'm on Oahu, I only have the 4runner here with me. I'm stationed at Camp Smith. The other vehicles are in New Mexico (can only ship one on the government's dime). Thought about bringing the 40 over but I didn't want the salt exposure and I've got a 40+ mile round trip commute. Gas is at $4.11 right now, and that's the cheapest it's been since I've been here.
I'm from Oahu and Nice Toyotas. It's called Cancer air on the islands. Car wash is the best thing when living on the islands.

As far as the fronts go, you might want to change the Tophats too. You can get all parts at your local Servco stores. You have Waipahu, Kaneohe, Mapunapuna, and Town(I think this one closed, not sure). My Dad works in Kaneohe and my brother works at Waipahu.

Nice

Thanks for the info guys.

After about two weeks went by I checked the status of the shocks, they hadn't been shipped yet. I called autoplicity and they said it wouldn't be until the 27th of October until they were available. They had no explanation as to why their website listed them as in stock AND the rep I ordered from said it would be around 7-9 days to get them out the door. I asked them if they would upgrade the shipping, they said they couldn't because the parts were shipping directly from the manufacturer.

I certainly hope there isn't an issue with what shows up, when it finally does.

Autoplicity have good pricing on their parts but their actual parts on hand verse their data base info is always off. I placed order with them before with same results. site shows good in stock, weeks later I'll call and they be like, part is shipping directly from manufacture.

Likely because they don't actually keep anything in stock and ship solely from supplier warehouses like most of the online parts sites with low prices. They get a feed from the various warehouses and use that to populate their site. Two orders come in from different businesses for one part and guess what? One gets the short end of the stick. Bilstein is probably out of these themselves. I actually ordered 5100's for my tacoma from them yesterday and they won't be here until late December. Not the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom