85 FJ60 help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody tell me what exactly I need and the best place to order it from? Understand I'm not mechanically inclined (learning how) but my neighbor is and he's be who would be helping me fix this so I'm not paying a shop $90/hr. The following is of the front drivers and passenger hubs. So far it hasn't affected my drive ability/use of 4x4 but it's only a matter of time I feel. Been like this for about 2 years now (I know I'm a terrible FJ owner)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410659223.439743.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410659235.904522.jpg

Since FJ60's have part time 4WD, sort-of-weepy outer knuckle oil seals and felt wipers are not a big deal. If you want to go to the trouble to make it look nicer, then replace the seals & clean it up. That's what I did. Otherwise just keep the knuckle full of grease & check/change your front differential oil more often if grease is getting into the front axle housing gear oil.
Clean off the grime if it bugs you... but remember....when it comes to iron vs rust.... Grime Is Your Friend.

I think it is safe to say that there are untold thousands of FJ60-62 Land Cruisers that have knuckles that look just like yours... many worse. Old car, weeping seals, built up grime.... Not a big deal...just keep them full of grease.

Now if your trunion bearings are worn ... that is something else.....Time for a steering knuckle rebuild.

P.S.
Black paint DOES look better than grime.

Before:

before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Find out where a club or enthusiast are in your area you'd be amazed at the experienced help you could find with a simple
enticement of food and beer!
:beer:

But what does it look like now?
The "After" pic is the "Now" pic.... since I just recently did them, and the car has been down for engine work and not driven for a few months.
As we know, knuckles get dirty pretty fast when driving on dirt roads. Gotta take a picture of them the day they are finished.... cuz they ain't gunna look like that for long :)

[Edit... & here is a very helpful YouTube vid that gives a good detailed step-by-step procedure how to do the job.. This was on a FJ80.. but it is very similar to the 60 knuckle.]

Last edited:
I would not recommend the "just keep filling them with grease" approach. Moly grease is specified for a particular reason in these knuckles, specifically the moly properties that create a coating on the rotating metal surfaces to prevent wear, friction and galling. Introduction of gear oil washes the moly off the metal surfaces and well, we know how that turns out. Left long enough, the gear oil will find its way into the hub and wash the grease from those as well and even the wheel bearings in extreme cases.
If done correctly, a knuckle rebuild will last another 80k-100k miles. That is worth it in my opinion. Not to mention, unless you are the original owner, not knowing the condition of the parts in the knuckle.
Chances are, if it looks like that, it may be time to think about R&Ring the wheel bearings anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom