ARB Awning on the Bushrat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
"Nobody wishes for less shade." ~ Ali

ARB 2000, 6.5ft awning on the 4Runner. I made the brackets. There are only two things I would do different.

1. Use 1-1/4" u-bolts instead of 1-1/8. There is a plastic coating on the Yakima load bars that made it difficult to get the bolts on. It made installation by me and two of my closest buddies (myself and I) near impossible to get the awning mounted. I ended up removing the plastic and it made all the difference. Still, wish I had gone with wider u-bolts.

2. Tuck the awning in closer to the truck. That I can, and will fix. I just need to remove an inch off the brackets and redrill the holes.

This will replace my Kelty Sunshade that was a pain to set up by myself. Bring on Baja.

100_1030.JPG
100_1036.JPG
100_1042.JPG

That looks good, do you have enough garage door height to turn the brackets over? That might help with the not being close enough to the cab by sitting higher above the door.

I'm also trying to keep it low. I cut an inch off the brackets and as soon as the paint dries I'll mount it up again. I'm already thinking about another idea if I don't like this.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an ARB awning, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. How heavy are those awnings?

Last edited:
Looks great - that will be handy on the beach.

I've got the 2500 equivalent marketed/branded as the Ironman 4X4 2.0X2.5 and I'm guessing it weighs about 35 lbs. Here's my thread on the same topic: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/truck-mounted-awnings.759315/

Your thread was one that I studied before I bought the ARB. I wanted the Ironman, but couldn't find one anywhere. The price on the 4.5ft was really cheap, and the cost jumped drastically to the 6.5ft. The price difference between the 6.5ft and the 8ft was near nothing. I just didn't want to try and fit an 8ft awning on my 4Runner.

Looks great - that will be handy on the beach.
Yep. Beaches usually face east, or north. So by the time it's gets warm I'll be having a cerveza in the shade as the sun goes the other way. I'm really looking forward to awning deployment.

Taking an inch off the bracket did the trick. It's now in a good spot. It makes the u-bolts hard to get to, but I think a gear wrench will solve that.

Did the ARB come with an LED strip light like the Ironman?

I haven't rolled it out yet, but I'm willing to say no. Let me juggle trucks in the garage and I will try to roll it out tonight. I need to practice setting it up anyways.

No lights.
awning deployed (1).JPG
awning deployed (3).JPG

"Nobody wishes for less shade." ~ Ali

Amen to that brother. Shade is just too vital for too many things; came in real handy during a wedding ceremony on top of Imogene Pass one year!

I assume you have a decent set of sand anchors that can be used to stake this thing down? If not, invest in a good set for *when* the wind gusts come up! Would you be p/o'ed if this investment gets tweaked at the beach.....

View attachment 940294
102_2519.JPG
102_2519.JPG

I just went wheeling a week ago with those same people and those exact awnings! I say, they were quick to set up and were very nice.

I remember that wedding. It was one of the selling point. I'll see what I can do for sand. Many of the beaches I camp at are gravel, but my fav is sandy.

I remember that wedding. It was one of the selling point. I'll see what I can do for sand. Many of the beaches I camp at are gravel, but my fav is sandy.

Better get some good sand anchors, you don't want a repeat of mine. Which beach was that with the nonstop wind?

BTW, I got 3 more weeks. you guys better have a meeting or go mtn biking with me or I'll have to say Adios! via Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom