Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
First off the idea was not originally mine.

I did come up with this cheap and easy attachment.:grinpimp:

Tools required -
A screwdriver (like the one in your OEM tool kit;))

Material required -
2'x4' display grid < ebay source link
4 - Hose clamps I used Norma 25-40mm stainless steel clamps < ebay source link
Used as OEM on Porsche, BMW, Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar, VW, Corvette and many others:rolleyes:

My rack history
I first saw a version of this very useful mod on Rudster 80 series
Display grid needs zero modification, fit perfect in its stock form using the hose clamp method.
At first I zip tied to the OEM handle:eek: (I did use the best zip ties available T&B:hillbilly:)
After a few months of testing I wanted to make it more permanent so I up graded to hose clamps, I did use SS mind you.
Since then others have made brackets and when comparing the brackets to the hose clamps, hose clamps win in terms of a solid feel. IMO I would not waste the time on bracket but your standards may be higher:flipoff2:
I have run this mod for 1000's of off road miles and it is still rock solid and a fantastic use of space.

If you dont like the hose clamp system we at LCP now offer high quality Delta brackets for attic racks FJ80 Delta Ceiling Storage Bracket - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

WARNING - The rack can become a headache rack and cause injury to your passengers head in the second row.:eek:

IMG_9525.JPG
IMG_9526.JPG
IMG_9531.JPG

Last edited:
Frikin Sweet.
I even have that material here at work (fab shop)
I think I will use HD Zip Ties instead.
Never thought of this.
With Drawer Build now done there is an over abundance of storage.

Frikin Sweet.
I even have that material here at work (fab shop)
I think I will use HD Zip Ties instead.
Never thought of this.
With Drawer Build now done there is an over abundance of storage.

I have found the grid perfect super strong solution to my back build out - Got attachment point?

Rear storage 004.jpg

This has been on my to-do list for sometime. Nice job.

Wow now that is a nice solution.

I believe I will be gettin in on that!

I have a nylon strap version of this.
I have liked the good use of space, but I think that a rigid surface will be better for holding gear.
Thanks for the share. and the links.

Very clever use of "wasted space".:cheers:

I quite like the paper towel rack as well......:grinpimp:

How is the headliner holding up? I presume you are using that space for soft stuff only.

Nice cheap solution! If you have a welder and want something more permanent, you can make this for about $8 in scrap metal:

First off you need a grid panel. After doing some searching online this was the cheapest I could find. Lots of places wanted too much for shipping. 2x4 grid panel in black for $28 shipped. Perfect, don't even need to cut it down to size. http://www.fireflystoresolutions.com/p-7856-black-grid-panel-2x4.aspx

On to the brackets. Scrap pieces of 3/16" plate. Cut to size, welded and drilled to fit the existing grab handle bolt holes.

14586864936_d8453d0e5c_h.jpg

Ground the welds down cause I felt like being fancy

14607830814_00eee5e76c_h.jpg

Bolted in

14423267298_66f6712455_b.jpg

Mock fit

14423297589_4c017dbf12_h.jpg

Panel is attached to the brackets using some u-bolt screw clamp thingamajiggers. I forget they're actual name at the moment

14423474647_e6112e9117_h.jpg

Nice guys. I like the plate idea. Ill probably just go to home depot and grab some aluminum angle and mount to those unused handcuff mounts.

Nice (the rack in post #8).

Last edited:
I did the aluminum angle for mine.

awesome idea--subscribed.

Is the 2x4 grid the exact measurement that is being used or does it need to be trimmed down? I think I may be able to score some from work. Also when empty does it rattle or bounce any?

If someone was down to make the brackets (angled iron/something) that someone could remove the 3rd seat grab handles and bolt in, I'd be game for purchase.

For my use I want to carry/transport my rifles in hard cases up there, strapped down. Would be slick to have it pivot of the front slope down to rear for loading things.

Nice cheap solution! If you have a welder and want something more permanent, you can make this for about $8 in scrap metal:

First off you need a grid panel. After doing some searching online this was the cheapest I could find. Lots of places wanted too much for shipping. 2x4 grid panel in black for $28 shipped. Perfect, don't even need to cut it down to size. http://www.fireflystoresolutions.com/p-7856-black-grid-panel-2x4.aspx

On to the brackets. Scrap pieces of 3/16" plate. Cut to size, welded and drilled to fit the existing grab handle bolt holes.

Bolted in

Mock fit

Panel is attached to the brackets using some u-bolt screw clamp thingamajiggers. I forget they're actual name at the moment

Been on the to-do list since I saw this in your thread. Very clean.

Here is my attic setup in the FZJ80: Used an old closet shelf and some scrap metal to build brackets... totally free project (Idea stolen from XTERRA Forum about a year ago).

Land%20Cruiser%202.jpeg

Here is a closer shot as you can tell I just inverted an old closet shelf I had laying around. The grid on this is closer together which might come in handy for some. I know at the Home Depot they sell a 2 foot by 10 foot section or cut to fit by the foot. (I beleive mine is the 16 inch version. 2 foot would allow paper towels etc... to be hung/accessed from back hatch pretty easy. Maybe I will rip the 2 foot shelf out of my wife's closet :)
Land%20Cruiser%201.jpeg

I also welded up some cheap/scrap steel brackets seen better here that fit over the cargo barrier mounts that came with Speski Cargo Barrier.

Land%20Cruiser%203.jpeg

Last edited:

Bolted in

Mock fit

How did you protect the threads sticking up from damaging the things you put up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom