Wheel bearing loose and axle wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm at the dealership and they are swapping rotors/pads, brake lines and one of the wheel bearings just comes out of the hub by hand. Is that ok or no bueno? Also axle ends wobble a bit but I think that since theyre full float axles that is normal.

Thanks!

So I'm at the dealership and they are swapping rotors/pads, brake lines and one of the wheel bearings just comes out of the hub by hand. Is that ok or no bueno? Also axle ends wobble a bit but I think that since theyre full float axles that is normal.

Thanks!

Ummmmmm NO. Not ok. By any means.... No kidding.

What part of the bearing? The outside race or the inner race with the rollers and cage? Once the lock nuts are off the spindle, nothing is keeping the outside bearing in there.

When everything is disassembled totally normal. But what concerns me is the "wobbley ends" reference...

Thanks!

On both front or rear axles after the nut is removed from the spindle the outside bearing can fall right out of the hub. The larger inside bearing will wobble around but won't come out because it's held in by the seal. If the outer race that is pressed into the hub comes out then you have problems.

I don't understand what you're talking about with the axle ends wobbling a bit because they're full float. Post pics of what you're describing so people understand.

I have to assume he means the inch or so of axle pertruding out of the spindle.

Probably, but he then talks about his axle being a free floating axle and never said it was just the front axle or front and rear.

sorry for responding so late, I called and talked to cdan about issues and parts so we're on track now.

the ends of the axles just outside the spindles had some movement but I think thats just because theyre full floating.

the hub is being replaced since the pressed in part of the bearing came out by hand, that particular hub was scuffed up pretty bad from a bearing explosion during previous owners use and I had already replaced the spindle.

thanks guys for your responses and time!

If the mechanic wasn't sure if it was normal or not I'd suggest going elsewhere. Your description was poor so a proper answer can't be given.

Probably, but he then talks about his axle being a free floating axle and never said it was just the front axle or front and rear.

It's pretty self explained. Only on the front does the hub need removed to replace the rotor.

The OP does not understand that "Full Float" applies to the REAR axle and means that the rear axle SHAFT can be removed and replaced without removing the hub or disturbing the bearings. If an axle breaks, you just lose power to that side. It's about a 30 minute fix to replace a broken axle. (In a semi-float rear axle, the axle shaft actually rolls on the bearing inside the housing. In order to remove the axle shaft, one must open up the third member (pumpkin, hogshead, differential...) to remove the clips that hold the axle in place. If an axle breaks, the wheel will come off with the broken axle. It's a major rear axle rebuild in order to replace an axle in a semi-float unit.

What he appears to be describing is that the RACE of one of the bearing sets inside the hub was so worn that it came out of the hub by hand. It was loose due to the PO's problem with a bearing "explosion" as he calls it.

The tip of the axle will move around inside the FRONT spindle because when the drive flange is removed, the only support is from the bronze bushing inside the knuckle housing. He thought that's what was meant by "Free Floating" (or---"Full Float")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom