Supercharger power increase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been on the fence with possibly buying a SC for the 80. Read a ton of info. For those who have them was it money well spent and is there a huge difference in power gains. My main reason is towing I live in Reno NV and anywhere we go seems to be uphill, there are mountains everywhere. Just want to be able to pull the trailer at the speed limit most of the time.

If you haven't yet and your running larger tires, I would regear first and then think about boost.

Been on the fence with possibly buying a SC for the 80. Read a ton of info. For those who have them was it money well spent and is there a huge difference in power gains. My main reason is towing I live in Reno NV and anywhere we go seems to be uphill, there are mountains everywhere. Just want to be able to pull the trailer at the speed limit most of the time.

You are not missing much at all. TRD SC is only 5 PSI max boost. I got one 1 year ago and installed on my 1996 LX 450 - I also have LC 100 2001 . Let me tell you the facts - LC100 is way better car compare to LC80 even with SC. V8 have more torque and power that I6 with SC, you probably finding some TRD spec like 50% horse popover, bla, bla, bal - do not believe that it is BS. Just informational TRD SC cost me $3,500 I installed myself If I know better ten I rather get V8 from Tundra or LC

Sorry, but driving stock 80 compared to SC'd 80 is night and day. I never ever want to go back to NA on the stock 80 powerplant. That being said, if I had to do it all over I would go Vortec 6.0

Last edited:
Been discussed, but maybe a good time to repeat; what is the cost of a V8 conversion vs supercharger, GM V8 versus Toyota V8, with or without a transmission change? Anyone out there doing turn-key V8 conversions?

Been discussed, but maybe a good time to repeat; what is the cost of a V8 conversion vs supercharger, GM V8 versus Toyota V8, with or without a transmission change? Anyone out there doing turn-key V8 conversions?
I think somebody had slee do one for insane amount of money recently. I'd just sell the thing before I did a motor swap. I've put a 4.3 vortex in my 85 mini truck and a 3rz in my last 85 and it was a great learning experience. Budget.....don't try and figure one, it will exceed it by a huge margin. Just to many variables. I'd rather grab a v8 4runner and put a solid front axle in it and roll out.

1HD-T in a 60 is $10k+. Can only imagine what the equivalent in the 80 would cost. After talking to someone else about the Vortec, we basically agreed that it would cost ~$10k, not including the cost of the running motor and donor truck, which you would need to be legal. At least in CA. So price/performance the SC wins nearly everytime. I purchased my SC from a mudder with 20k on it. I spent less than $2k.

Of course, I'm paying for it in other ways...but its not relevant to this thread :flipoff2:

Having installed a 2003 4.3 in my 85 truck with a 4l60e trans to my dual case.I don't think I would ever put another chevy in my toyota. First reason being you have to become an expert to repair it.No one will want to work on a non factory set up.I did my home work used all the right part and even got in BAR certified and it is a major pain when things screw up . Forget autozone or O rielly or whatever they are called this week .The only parts that will work right are the ac delco.Everything else will fail.Yes i love the power but its still not enough for my baja 10y tent trailer.If I ever do another transplant it will have to be diesel.I just bought a 96 lx450 and its a hell of alot easier to work on then that chevy.

I would think a custom turbo setup is probably the most cost effective way to get more power than the SC.

I would think a custom turbo setup is probably the most cost effective way to get more power than the SC.

If there was on off the shelf solution then sure. Every setup is a one off except for the Safari Turbo and that is both unobtainium and crazy expensive if you can find one.

Last edited:
If towing is your primary thing, moving to the 100 series would solve alot between the torque & IFS - I'm in the exact same place except I'm sitting on a new Toy SC kit in a box - but my reality is that a 100 series would suit me better these days.

If you are bound & determined to go 8 cyl., then a SAS onto a 100 would be better $$ than a motor swap into the 80. Just my view from the wallet.

I've had my 80 since 2000, so back then I didn't have a boat & a 80 was great - but towing it alwayss ends in an evening with me on a classifieds site looking at later 100's & the 200's (100's are more realistic $$$ - I hate car loans).

I know when the time comes I'll sell seperately, but I never get real serious enough to call on any IFS Cruisers FS.

No SC kits available from either Dan or Onur? They out of stock again?

I'm in the exact same place except I'm sitting on a new Toy SC kit in a box

You wanna sell it?

If you are bound & determined to go 8 cyl., then a SAS onto a 100 would be better $$ than a motor swap into the 80. Just my view from the wallet.

100s make the 80 look like a skinny chick and it's about the same money, either way you go.

No SC kits available from either Dan or Onur? They out of stock again?

NLA.

Answer to all your problems :flipoff:

1408972438157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom