Where did all the bj42's go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So about 5 years ago I went up to vancouver and brought back a bj42. I had a choice of about 10 that were for sale at the time. I loved that thing! But I needed the cash so I had to sell it about 2 years ago. I've finally decided I want another one so I started looking on craigslist a few months ago and there are none up there! I found one within a 1000 miles radius of me that is in pieces and I'd rather stay away from. Seems to be a few that restorers are selling on ebay but that's about it. Are the collectors buying them all up and selling them at auction on ebay? Is canada flunking them from DEQ testing so people are crushing them? Are they rusting into nothing? Meanwhile FJ40's around me seem to be plentiful and reasonably priced. Might have to just buy one of those and swap in a 4bt.

The good ones sold, some being kept by loyal owners, the others rusted into the ground.
83 (latest) to 2014 is a long time in a harsh climate for an extremely rust prone vehicle. And there were few of the later years sold in the first place...

Hmmm. I am selling one to a local club member tomorrow. :meh: You should check out the local club - forum.cascadecruisers.com. We have decent vehicles popping up all the time on our classifieds. I bought this BJ42 from a club member several years ago and am now selling it to another club member.

:cheers:

Yeh I agree they are getting rare to find up here not to many around anymore if I play my cards right in the near future I will have the only 83 left in Canada.

Yes, since the RHD imports came in, some I'm sure have been relegated to the back yard. The rust is talentless!

There's got to be more to it than "they are starting to get rare." 5 years ago I looked at a dozen or so in vancouver. Across canadian craigslist there were probably a hundred. The one I bought had an aluminum body, ran and drove and I paid $4000 for it and it was for sale for at least 4 months. Now i found 1 in all of Canada that I'm not really interested in. So either everybody in canada stopped using craigslist or there is a shop up there buying them up and restoring them. If you have one, hang on to it! You might regret selling it later.

Oh and thank you for the link to the cruiser club. If i end up finding one I will have to join.

I doubt there was a 100 true BJ42s up here 5 years ago most of the 42s that have survived the rust demise have mostly gone south the rest rotted out frame and body. ( someone should pole the CDN MUDDERS to get an estimate )
The Cruiser day events that I have attended in the past there was very few that showed up maybe 3 or 4 each year.
There is a lot of FJ diesel swaps that I have seen which guys pulled the 3B from the BJ60 for the donor engine and trans and harness relays.

84 was the last year for the can spec bj42 and iv have one of the only 236(?) Made for both America. Unrestored original everything (minus wear and tear items) that I use as a daily driver on and off. Great rigs.

They're as rare as rocking horse sh1t down here in Australia and worth megabucks (>$20k) in good condition (NO modification or rust).

Op says it all when i was in vancouver i could of bought a hundred. Check your own back yard . You guys are buying anything up here these days. I dont even think your fix it shop builders buy from USA anymore, i u ssually do a follow up on the good deals here to see where they go and better than 50% head across the border. Last few truck I've sold were good solid runners , that were bought buy local shops and stripped of the motor transmission and sold for almost double just for the two items . Most fix it shops make more for parts it seems. Im thinking i might start hoarding to curb the market from leaving for a couple years. Lol.

Are you looking on Kijiji or craigslist? IME craigslist has nearly nothing Kijiji lots, though 42's specifically I don't know.

Yeh I agree they are getting rare to find up here not to many around anymore if I play my cards right in the near future I will have the only 83 left in Canada.
'' The only 83 cruiser left in Canada ' ? HHMM ? I better check my back yard again ! lol

Well my 84 is in winter storage but I do know where there is another one not far away, the guy had it posted about a year ago and still has it. I don't know if he is asking a lot or decided not to sell but here is the ad he had up.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1984-bj42-dk-blue-all-original-pretty-much-no-rust.782093/

When he spotted mine he said he had the same one at home and I kind of laughed and was like yeah right but I went and checked it out and he did same year and color.

Op says it all when i was in vancouver i could of bought a hundred. Check your own back yard . You guys are buying anything up here these days. I dont even think your fix it shop builders buy from USA anymore, i u ssually do a follow up on the good deals here to see where they go and better than 50% head across the border. Last few truck I've sold were good solid runners , that were bought buy local shops and stripped of the motor transmission and sold for almost double just for the two items . Most fix it shops make more for parts it seems. Im thinking i might start hoarding to curb the market from leaving for a couple years. Lol.

Wut?
Is that Canadian Inglish?

Ya English not good , but you only need half a brain to figure that out. Congrats I'm glad you caught that . Hope you got the point too.

My 84 rotted so bad that it needed a new frame (proper BJ not FJ) and a Gozzard tub. So that coupled with the OME springs, 60 series axles and spring reversal makes mine almost an unmolested original right ?
Well it does have the proper dash with the stickers my kids put on about 15 years ago.
There is another 84 not far away in the most amazing original condition but alas the owner bought it new and wont part with it.

Okay so it appears there are a few still around across Canada so far I have not heard from anyone in BC so maybe I will have the only unmolested true original 83 remaining mine was a late 83 production but sold in the 84 lineup but still it is an 83 and not the very last of the last 84 production models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom