Corner panel estimate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ncmartec.org
Newbie here! Just bought an 85 fj60. Light rust on rear corner panels with bubbling paint. Frame and undercarriage only has slight surface rust. I live on coast of NC so of course my first course of action is to attack the corner panels with new metal. Any idea of what this would cost at a body shop. Of course I want it done right. No tiger hair & bondo slapped on and painted over. Just trying to see what I'm up against right off the bat. Thanks

Welcome! Need photos. Start looking around for a donor truck for an un-rusted sheet metal piece, or figure out how to bend one. If it's flat metal, it can be welded in, but you need to find a body shop or someone with the patience to do it correctly.

open door.JPG
driveway 3.JPG

As you can see...there is some discoloration on driver side rear panel and two small bubble on passenger side above rear tire. I just bought this rig and it's being delivered today so I haven't had the chance to taste it just yet. I'm thinking the discoloration is a previous bondo patch that's starting to bleed through. I know these areas are known for rust. I'll have more info as soon as I get my hands on it. CAN'T WAIT!!

Nice looking rig!

Just to give you a heads up, for years I used to keep my board up on a roof rack like that on a 60 I owned out in San Diego...but it finally caught up with me when the roof rusted out.

You can rinse the roof thoroughly with fresh water from a hose when you get home (after each use!), or put the board inside...but if you use the rack to carry the board (even rinsing the board off in the shower at the beach with fresh water after you are done with a session might not get all the salt water off well enough...), you will probably be fighting roof rust down the road...

Good point Slow Left. I usually keep the boards in board bags, plus I rinse thoroughly after getting out of the water. Thanks for the heads up!

OK, a rinse and bags might do it.

Just be aware that in addition to the rust you are seeing come out in the bottom of the rear quarter panels, these 60s are notorious for rusting underneath the roof seams (especially above the rear side windows). Some folks attribute it to moisture build up inside the cabin of the vehicle (if you have ever seen how the roof is built by removing the headliner, you will understand, but don't try to remove the headliner just to see what I'm talking about) and moisture sits at the seams where the top sheet of the roof meets the side panels. Lots of folks remove the aluminum trim along the roof (the outside of that seam) to try to prevent rust from getting behind the seam from outside the vehicle, too.

Yeah, I really tore into that roof with a disc grinder, but it was beyond repair at that point...

go with rinse and a bag and enjoy it. The rust is going to arrive anyways, so stay on top of it like it seems you are...

EDIT: forgot to add, but if you are driving that rig on the beach, you better do the right thing and rinse that frame off thoroughly (inside and out) after getting out. That is a definite killer. Eastwood makes a rust treatment product that you can spray inside the frame and it reacts with the rust, reducing it back from an oxide...see @norsk thread.

Up north here, lots of folks spray their frames with Fluid Film in the fall before winter starts to keep the salt they put down on the roads from reacting with the frame. Don't know if the sand will stick to that or what, but that might be another option.

I don't know...I wouldn't drive in the sand at all...no need to...if it's just to impress a girl, just be a gentleman towards her and impress her with your mad surf skill...don't sacrifice the 60!! Just my 2 cents...it's your rig and you only live once and afterall, you can always get another 60, I guess...I did!

Last edited:
I don't see the icon showing that he really has been welcomed to Mud, yet, but I don't know how to add that.

If the truck has been repainted/fixed once already, then you need to do a lot of careful digging to be sure you know the extent of the new rust. Not tooting my own horn, but here are pix of how I fixed some of my 60-series rust: http://www.tlca.org/trails/2014/0708/budget.shtml

Ha, no impressing the ladies here...happly married. For now atleast. Previous owner did drive on the beach however. Planning on POR-15 everything I can get too asap. Read a post earlier to day comparing por-15, Eastwood & bullet. Fellow did a test with all three side-by-side. Por held up better than the others in the end. I'll see if I can find that post and tag it onto here later.

Steve H, great job on your rig. Thanks for tips! I'll try to keep my dogs teeth away from the front seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom