FJ62 Radiator Replacement?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1988 FJ62 radiator is toast. What would you guys consider to be the best aftermarket radiator based on cost and quality?

Thank you.

Hi, Im going to go aluminum from Summit racing.I will have to slightly modify the side flanges however. Mike

Wel, I'm asking about aftermarket radiators becuase the factory component is usally more expensive from Toyota, and in this case it may not be better than an aftermarket radiator. For example mabe an aluminum radiator would be better, but what would be the cost of one and where can you procure aftermarket radiators for this truck? These are the considerations I'm making before purchasing one or having a local shop procure and install one.

You can go aluminum for less than300.00. The only thing I have constantly wanted on my cruisers is better cooling.Its 103 at my house and cruisers dont like idleing in traffic. I believe the toyota rad. is over 500.00.

CSF radiators. It's what SOR - CCOT - MAF all sell as their aftermarket units. I've got one sitting in the box in my toy store (garage)

csfimports.com

Radiator No. 2708

Core Size 15-3/4 x 24 x 2-7/8
Tank Size Inlet 24-1/16 x 2-15/16
Outlet 24-1/16 x 2-15/16
Hose Fittings Top 1-1/2 Left
Bottom 1-1/2 Right
No of Rows 4
Oil Cooler 15-3/4 in.
Tech. Note Rugged ALL METAL model.
Remark

Note: there are two models -- Since you have an FJ62, you obviously want the one with the oil cooler, i.e. model 2708 for Auto trannies

Last edited:
Spike
Awsome info. Is this radiator from CSF a direct drop in replacement of the stock model, or are the other mods that have to be made? I will check it out.

Thank you,
Nelson

Nelson, I have an FJ60, but as far as I know, these are meant to be drop-in units. Why wouldn't they be? But if you want verification, I'd call their info line (on website). They're very helpful. I had to call to locate the FJ60 model as they are very scarce, for some reason.

These are really well-built rads. Find a place that will order you one, or call csf for distributors in your area, and you can prolly get a better price than the above dealers.

S.

CSF radiators. It's what SOR - CCOT - MAF all sell as their aftermarket units. I've got one sitting in the box in my toy store (garage)

csfimports.com

Radiator No. 2708

Core Size 15-3/4 x 24 x 2-7/8
Tank Size Inlet 24-1/16 x 2-15/16
Outlet 24-1/16 x 2-15/16
Hose Fittings Top 1-1/2 Left
Bottom 1-1/2 Right
No of Rows 4
Oil Cooler 15-3/4 in.
Tech. Note Rugged ALL METAL model.
Remark

Note: there are two models -- Since you have an FJ62, you obviously want the one with the oil cooler, i.e. model 2708 for Auto trannies

I have the CSF 2708 in my 1990 FJ62. I paid less than half of OE price and it was perfect fit wise. Do check it well for damage. My filler neck was tweaked and required repair. Mine was sourced from my local Carquest.

Keep in mind that this is a perfect time to do many other maintenance items such as hoses, belts, water pump, t-stat, etc. Also if your vehicle is from salt country like mine be prepared to break off a few bolts in the rad support.

happy trails.

I purchased an aftermarket brass radiator which was an exact clone of the original. Go for metal if possible. The Toyota OEM is really expensive. My new radiator is one of the only parts I have bought for my car that is not Toyota OEM. Research and install a transmission cooler while you are doing this. it is easy and will save your transmission if you plan on doing a lot of slow rock crawling with the vehicle.

Well, I began to work on it last night with just the intent to repalace the three belts (my teenage son who'd been driving it reported that it had busted a belt to the fan). But after getting started I realized there was more wrong than my teeenage son had led me to believe was weong. When I got into it last night after work I found the belts were ok, but the water pump is siezed. It won't budge at all, and it's not leaking from any of its seals. I will say this too, those belts are a real bugger to get to and remove. So I guess I might as well bite the bullitt as suggested and replace the radiator, belts, t-stat, hoses, and maybe add an additional transmission cooler. This should be interesting since I haven't done a lot work on this particular vehicle my self. Ten years ago a had a couple FJ40s and did most of the work my self, so it's time to get reacquainted to turning wrenches on a cruiser again.

While you are in there check the timing cover and the front of the engine for oil leaks. If you have all the belts off and the radiator out it would be the perfect time to fix the gaskets if needed. Consider cutting the fan shroud in half, lots of people do it for easier access in the future. You'll see why when getting the radiator out. Good luck, keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for the advice on the shroud. I considered taking it off last night just to get to the belts easier (it's a pain). I assume your suggesting to cut it in half horizontally?

Thanks,
Nelson

Yes, it allows the top part to be taken off and gives easy access when workin.

If you have that much off Id replace all the hoses H2O and vaccum

Anyone know where I could procure a good radiator for my FJ 62? we just had her in for a new engine and replacement hoses and such but they wanted an arm and a leg (900) just for a radiator. decided to do it ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom