Would you tow a 40 behind a full size Range Rover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Want to take my 40 on a relatively short trip. I have a full size Range Rover my wife drives and a Yukon XL that's my DD. first, I understand that bw the two I should, and typically will, defer to my vehicle for the towing. My question is, would you be comfortable towing the 40 on a u-haul trailer with the Range Rover? It is rated with a 7700lb tow capacity and the u-haul website okay the rental but I just wanted to throw it out there for the masses.

Thanks

I just towed my 40 from Colorado to Iowa this week and I have a 1500 silverado 4x4. I also had my truck loaded down with stuff because we were moving. The short of it is we made it fine. Stopping is always your issue. I'm already looking at 2500HD's because I thought it was too much. And my silverado is rated for 12000 lbs.

I would take the Yukon.

I agree drive the 40. But in all honesty the Rangie should tow it with no dramas. Your 40 should come in at about 2350kg which is about 5000lbs. The trailer should be about 1000kg or 2200lbs. So you are getting up there limit wise but the most important thing is to make sure that the car trailer is capable of carrying the weight of the 40. Electric brakes would also assist greatly.

I agree drive the 40. But in all honesty the Rangie should tow it with no dramas. Your 40 should come in at about 2350kg which is about 5000lbs. The trailer should be about 1000kg or 2200lbs. So you are getting up there limit wise but the most important thing is to make sure that the car trailer is capable of carrying the weight of the 40. Electric brakes would also assist greatly.
curb weight for a soft top is 3260lbs
hard top 3470lbs,thats from Toyota specs

...via IH8MUD app

Here is a lesson learned about the Uhaul trailer. They work fine for trucks of all sorts small cars, not so much. The one thing to be careful of is the brakes on the trailer. They use "surge" brakes. It is just a hydraulic brake the works off of the action of you applying the tow vehicle brakes. I almost lost a Vette that I was towing because the master cylinder was bone dry on the trailer and it was like that when I rented it. The moral is to not count on the Uhaul guys to check things out and make sure you check the fluid.

Ive towed a lot of vehicles and many of them pretty long distances. Pulling it is only half the battle, stopping it is the other. The Yukon XLs brakes are probably better equipped to stop a load than the RR. Personally, I would be afraid to drive a RR to the grocery store for fear it would break down, much less towing anything. When that tranny overheats, then I guess you will all have to pile in the 40. The stress that comes with pulling another vehicle down the highway is only made worse when you aren't 100% confident in the tow vehicle, and that can make for a very long and tiring trip. I would definitely take the Burb.

I would never be seen in a Range Rover.
Well they kinda get you there in style, but getting back home again is another story(that's why you have the 40)

Because I have a '40.
the early range rover i will say yeah i wouldnt be seen in but the new ones are a different story,i would rather do a 5000k trip in a new range rover than a FJ40,i have owned FJ40s since late 60s and still have my 77 but hey c'mon,take a ride in a new one

...via IH8MUD app

the early range rover i will say yeah i wouldnt be seen in but the new ones are a different story,i would rather do a 5000k trip in a new range rover than a FJ40,i have owned FJ40s since late 60s and still have my 77 but hey c'mon,take a ride in a new one

...via IH8MUD app
Sigh.....Ok.

If the u-haul web site says it is OK then it is more then fine. Their systems errors towards the overly cautious side, plus their trailers have brakes. And I have never seen a range rover I would not drive, not my first choice, but far far far from my last choice that is for sure.

From an engineering standpoint , I wouldn't tow that kind of weight in a rover. The Rovers generally had a ~1" diameter axle shaft with the minor diameter
a bit less. That number puts it in the class of the Samurai for axle strength. There are a lot of companies building material upgraded shafts but the diameter
will always be the limiting factor. The 1.3 diameter of the cruiser is about 50% stronger. The Yukon will most likely have the same dimension.
When I competed on " 24hours at the Hammers" we were the only 40 series. There was two Defender 90s and a slew of Jeeps. Although both Defenders had moly aftermarket axles neither finished half the race. Both broke their axles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom