I sold my JK for an FJ. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So. I'm Ryan and i'm an addict. I can prove it.

It all started several years ago with my first purchase of a 1983 Fj60 with a blown motor. Totally torn apart planning the "ultimate rebuild". We all know the story. I dropped some ducketts into that thing. Mad ducketts.... It was never completed. :crybaby:

I ended up working out of the country, moving homes, not having the space and ended up getting rid of it. I was devastated.

By the time I ended up back in the states I had dried my tears and was really looking into the FJ Cruisers to stay in the Toyota family. No disrespect, the FJ cruiser was not for me. Off to the Jeep dealership why not?
By the end of the day I was in a new 2013 Jeep JK Unlimited 6spd with the lovely new 3.6L Pentastar and the new Merc. B Transmisson. Wow this is nice! I loved it instantly, something was missing though.

Almost two years elapsed and something was missing... I missed my impractical 60. We are an odd bunch. Luckily my wife loves me.
I started looking around...again. I found and settled on this beast...
fj60.jpg

Far worse shape then my last child. Rust, squeaky, missing interior and oil leaks. I was in love...
fj60sunset .jpg

We hit the trails soon after. Nothing serious we just needed to get out.

We got out.....
Efj60.jpg

My daughter loves it. My wife is becoming attached, I can't imagine not having it.

It's weird guys and gals. You can have a nice off roader with all the bells and whistles and something is missing. I was tired of all the "jeep waves" and "look at all my gear that I never use". I really think we are a wonderful breed of vehicle lovers and I love it. I don't care how many people tell me how poor my fuel economy must be, or how loud or squeaky my rusty love machine is. It's a good thing trust me.

This time I plan on doing it right. I'm just going to enjoy my 60 and upgrade when I can. I think thats my advice to everyone here with this rant. I have had more fun with my 60 since I've owned it less then four months and having more than 305K on the ODO than I ever did with my jeep. Why? because this vehicle has soul.

I'm glad that i'm not alone and I just wanted to put myself out here and say hello to everyone. I was lost but now i'm found.

If your in Texas and you recognize this beast let me know! I always have cold Shiner near by. Prost!

jeepfj60.jpg

Cool kids drive those 4 door jeep thingies... knuckleheads and animal-spirits drive Landcruisers.

What's your power animal?

I'm just enjoying "dönner" for now, no major tear downs...yet. We have been doing a little wheeling around where I live outside of Fort Hood. That is where the pictures were taken. We have to be careful because i'm fairly sure it's 95% military training ground. :D

My inner animal spirit is a penguin just like Tyler Durden.

Good move getting the 60. Many years ago, I liked my father's CJ 7. We lived in the mountains and we drove off road almost daily. That was the last real jeep IMHO. Now when I see a JK, TJ, or YJ, I think they are what city folks drive who want to pretend they are rugged. Jeeps are so common, Barbie drives one.

You are correct, 60s have soul. To drive an old 60 you must have some mechanical skills. You must also be drawn to the simpler things in life. The ride may be harsh, but you prefer it that way. The ride is what it is all about. I think of old land cruisers like a classic muscle car compared to a new sports car. Sure the new car is fast, fuel efficient, and comfortable, but anyone can own one. But the muscle car is a first, an original, and damn unique.

My five year old and two year old boys say it best, "Jeeps are Gay. We only wheel in Old Land Cruisers".:)

Enjoy your old ride.

I totally get it. I had an H3 with the adventure package (dual lockers, 4:1 t-case gears 35's....) but I ended up selling it. I joked that all of my vehicles just work. I needed a vehicle that needed me and the 60 was it! It's a cool truck plain and simple loaded with character that comes with years.

Frank

Cool kids drive those 4 door jeep thingies... knuckleheads and animal-spirits drive Landcruisers.

What's your power animal?

Best descritiption yet.

My five year old and two year old boys say it best, "Jeeps are Gay. We only wheel in Old Land Cruisers".:)

Careful with your indoctrination techniques. What if one (or both) of the boys turns out to be gay later on? :D

OP: Loud-as in exhaust? No good reason for that. Heavy duty drive train noise, now that's OK.

I love my JK. I wheel the piss out of it. People cant believe it is a 2011. This year has been particularly rough since it now has three sizable body dents in it. I know what you mean about the Jeep waves and the bolt on stuff that make people think they have a "built" Jeep. I trail guide those people out at Hot Springs ORV Park (formerly Superlift ORV Park) and they get a real feel for what a Jeep can do. I miss my old 79 CJ7 though. One of those deals like you where I was moving and couldn't afford to keep it around. It got a good home and I know the guy that bought it wheels it hard just like I did.

Anyway I was looking for a wagon and I am not fond of the XJ or the other unibody Jeeps so I found me a rusty 1987 FJ60 for a good price. I finally got the motor running decent and am half way through servicing the axles and dropping in new-to-me third members with 4.88 gears and LockRight diffs. I cannot wait to drive it daily and wheel it.

I'm proud to say that I never went the jeep route, but I wont lie and say I didn't consider it. My wife still thinks I'm nuts for trading my perfectly functional, great-running, decent off-road, keep up with traffic 1999 4runner for clobbersaurus. But she puts up with it, if a bit begrudgingly. :)

Welcome to the addiction. Soul is a good choice of words for sure. I am fortunate that my wife loves them too. She is on the porch test fitting the first seat cover she mad, on a 60 seat. It's a good addiction, keeps you off the streets ;)

I'm Ryan and i'm an addict. I was lost but now i'm found.

Word dawg. Best post by someone with less than 5 posts Ive ever seen on this here interweb forum site.

I love a white 60 series. The rust looks good, don't fix it.

The wife and I feel exactly the same way. We are about to sell off our 2007 FJ Cruiser to buy an import HJ61. It will end up being a straight swap money wise, but we are all in. I'm really excited for us to be able to actually build this vehicle ourselves and hold on to it for many, many years to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom