De-flared poll: weld them shut or just paint over the plugs? (1 Viewer)

Weld the holes first, or just paint over the plugs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I pulled the flares from the FZJ80 a few weeks ago and stuffed some nylon body plugs into the resulting holes to keep water from entering the body (rain, stream crossings, etc.). I plan to line the lower body line: flare arches, rockers, lower door halves, etc.

While I'm not opposed to sanding down to bare metal, welding the holes shut, and then prepping and painting/lining the area, I'm wondering if that's just a bit of overkill. I don't necessarily want to take a shortcut if it means a lousy job, but I also don't want to put in work that has marginal benefits. I understand that if I simply line over the nylon plugs I'll have small bumps where the plugs are, but that doesn't bother me. I also don't care if the flares ever go back on. I like the de-flared look a lot and had already snagged the flares on some trails (hastening their removal).

So for those of you who have de-flared and lined the rig, please vote and help me decide.
picture.php

if ur not a welder and it is going to be a large expense to have someone weld up the holes I would simply pop a plug in there and then cover it with your choice of bedliner.

I welded mine, only because I have a welder on hand and the skills to use it. If I did not I would of just done the above. This is not a functional "thing" so don't overthink it. Just use what you have on hand to find a solution.

Noah

An alternative is to use pop-rivots & then get the liner installed - my old LX450 was done that way & you would swear it had smooth body as the liner was thick enough to hide rivot heads & you had metal rivots behind the liner.

Where did you find the rivets large enough to fill the big holes?

was on the LX with the liner already in place when I bought - so you'll maybe find them in the industrial catalogs/website. sorry.

I just know with some 100-ish holes with flares & cladding, welding would be cost prohibitive unless you are a DIY welder.

I'd weld the holes up. Although bondo will probably work fine covered in bedliner, i still wouldn't use it because it is not as permanent of a solution as welding them. It may take longer but welding is definitely worth it in my book.

I used Quick Steel. Once it's hard you can grind/sand it flush. On the ones I took my time you can't tell under the bed liner. The ones I half assed you can tell but it's still better than if I used plugs.

I used foil type duct tape to cover the holes before applying liner. I could have welded but didn't like the idea of having exposed welds on the back sides of the welds.

...via IH8MUD app

Anyone have a Slee ShortBus and rear bumper without flares?

Thanks Cimarron, pics look good but are you happy with how the bumpers line up? Do they stick out much?

Logged on today specifically for this purpose. Unreal that this thread was at the top...

Anyway, as I repair the seals/gaskets on my 80 I'm really digging the de-flared look. Taking her to a couple shops in town for a quote. I'll share the estimates but was wondering if anyone had a ballpark or the expense before I head in. I'm sure it isn't cheap but would love to know what some of the community members paid.

Thanks Cimarron, pics look good but are you happy with how the bumpers line up? Do they stick out much?
I'm happy with them. They don't stick out much on the sides at all.

yeap body soldiering.
I have used muggyweld and have been quite pleased with the end results. Not sure how it will hold up over the long haul but very easy product to work with; if you can solder copper pipe you can use this stuff.

Logged on today specifically for this purpose. Unreal that this thread was at the top...

Anyway, as I repair the seals/gaskets on my 80 I'm really digging the de-flared look. Taking her to a couple shops in town for a quote. I'll share the estimates but was wondering if anyone had a ballpark or the expense before I head in. I'm sure it isn't cheap but would love to know what some of the community members paid.

I found a Craigslist crackhead to weld/grind the holes for $100. Wasn't perfect and had a bit of heat warping, but it gave me the chance to learn body work and smoothing. I wasn't going to pay thousands for a top notch when it was just going to be Monstalined and dragged down the trails. Doesn't look like a show car, but also doesn't look like it came from a junk yard.

And heck, for the money you'll spend buy yourself a cheap welder and practice on thin-gauge metal. Wish I would have started welding years ago.

metal tape here... just finished my liner this weekend..

You can still some of the holes due to the depression in the tape, but I don't really care... as stated above, it's covered and liner and destined to get dragged through the trees...

FJZ80_liner1_zpscc976b1e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom