Why cross-drilled rotors are stupid on an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My cross drilled and slotted rotors were on my truck when I got it. 80k later and they're just needing to be replaced. I haven't decided if I'm going back with cross drilled slotted or standard OEM.

Great....I just ordered slotted and drilled rotors from Brake Performance the other day. Any feed back on their product?

I have run the slotted cross drilled rotors that Man-a-Fre sells on my 40 for 10 years, no problems, no warping, no cracking - but a softtop 40 is a lot lighter vehicle than an 80

that said, our 80 got OEM when it needed new rotors - $75 each from the local dealer :meh: (and they carried it to the trunk of the Miata for me :flamingo:)

I have run the slotted cross drilled rotors that Man-a-Fre sells on my 40 for 10 years, no problems, no warping, no cracking - but a softtop 40 is a lot lighter vehicle than an 80

that said, both our 80 and the LX got OEM when they needed new rotors - at $75 I didn't see a need for anything else
$75 dollars geez money bags!

IIRC, Powerstops cost more, no ?

It's all about the quality! I have also driven serious performance cars road and track that have cross drilled discs as standard and have never had any problems. I have also driven HGV's for a number of years with cross drilled discs, I used to drive hard unladen/laden trucks (I was not on price work....honest :steer:)and never had a problem, I just see someone thinking I will make a fast buck and start cross drilling stock discs or at least manufacturing cheap rubbish, stick with stock or be prepared to shell out some serious coin.

regards

Dave

Ah, great!!! I'm reading this now after I ordered Powerstop rotors for the front (with EBC pads though). :bang::bang:

I ordered them because I have OEM rotors which are now pulsing like crazy when applying the brakes. I figured I'd try something else this time. Apparently not a very good choice from what I'm reading here. Oh, well... Gotta keep an eye on them. and I'll turn the OEMs and keep them as a spare in case the Powerstops crack unexpectedly.

On a side topic, I wonder how EBC pads would work with OEM rotors? are they any better/easier on the rotor than OEM pads? I don't mind changing pads often, but hate changing rotors because of warping/pulsing..

DBA's all 4 corners, so far very happy.

Sux's Mike... time to upgrade!

By chance were they made in China, Mike? The casting would show on the inside. I bought my first set of drilled from the same place that Frank (UNWIREDADVENTURES) got them from but as soon as I noticed they were from China I sent them right back. That's when I went the expensive stuff. Still sucked ass.

For the record my DBA slotted fronts have like 80K of mountain driving/wheeling/towing on them with no issue. I replaced the OEM pads I installed with them after about 60K with EBC yellow stuff truck pads. Did not turn them. Still very happy and would buy them again. The rear DBA's suffered from my lack of time to get in and change pads out in a timely manor. I had to replace them and went with the cryo'ed Powerstop slotted and EBC yellows as well. Probably 15K on those by now?

Anyway I will get slotted again without hesitation. If my 10,000lb truck/trailer combo does not melt them coming down the mountain then nothing will.

Last edited:
Dumb question here, can slotted and cross drilled rotors be turned?

Doubt it. Holes would no longer be chamfered. Never tried it myself so I may be wrong :meh:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom