1FZ-FE Cylinder Head Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is long but bear with me...

I'm in the middle of a head gasket job on my 1997 and I have a couple questions now that I've pulled the head. It's currently sitting in a machine shop, dipped and clean, awaiting further instruction on where to go from here.

1. Is there a maximum amount that can be shaved off of it during the decking/resurfacing process before the head is no longer usable or the compression of the engine changes? The guy at the shop said when measured with a straight edge and feeler gauge the warpage is about .015" (15 thousandths); however, that does not take into account any small low points that could possibly be somewhere on the head which would require even more resurfacing. According to him, .015" is already approaching the limit of what he would normally do, so in the case of any spots that could be lower than that, would resurfacing be a good idea still?

2. I had asked him to do a vacuum test on the valves and he said that while each valve should hold 7", there isn't a single one that holds more than 4". The quote for having them ground out came out to around $400 which is much more than I was looking to spend. Is this lack of vacuum a huge problem or is it something I can avoid fixing and just put the head back on with? If something should be done about it, would it truly require having the valves ground out by him or could it be fixed by just re-seating the valves? How would I be able to tell? Also, if it were something that can be fixed by re-seating the valves, is that something that I can do myself to avoid the huge cost of the valve job? Are there any special/uncommon tools that would be required for doing so?

3. When talking about the valves, he had mentioned that to do any kind of work to them, the valve lifters/shims and cams would need to be re-installed. When talking about this, I realized I had stupidly forgot to put the valve lifter caps into any order and had just put them all in a bag. He said to do the job, I would need to put everything back together first myself. He said figuring out which lifter goes where is an enormous PITA and would be very time consuming to do (something about measuring each lifter, installing the cams without the lifters, measuring those gaps and using trial and error to match up which lifter goes where after taking out the cams again, then re-installing everything all over). They didn't seem to me that they had any markings on them to distinguish which spot they should be put back into. Is there any better way of going about figuring out which spots they go into (considering there are 24 options for each valve)? Also, is this just a bit of tedious work that the guy at the shop is avoiding but should really included for a $400 valve job?

4. If at the end of the day, the head seems pretty messed up... If I really shouldn't bother resurfacing it because it is too warped and/or the valves absolutely must be ground out rather than simply re-seated with a drill and compound and/or because of all of the work/trouble that finding the order of the lifters and shims would entail..... rather than paying all this money and going through all of this trouble, would it be more cost/time effective to just go out and order a used or re-manufactured head?

A quote from cdan on a new head ran about $1,078 so that's out of the question. If i do get one pulled out of a parts vehicle, would that be reliable, or would I be stuck in the same situation I am already in? Finally, what is a good price for a re-manufactured head and where is a good reliable source to purchase one?

Any and all help is appreciated.

1) FSM states 0.15mm or 0.0059 in of warpage maximum. Technically this should answer most of your questions. Your head is toast !
2) You can re do the valves yourself with the right tools. What you really need is a FSM so you can understand what you are doing.
3) So you are saying you took the buckets and shims out and mixed up the order ? You shouldn't have done that. I'm not sure what to tell you on this one.
4) Look around in the classifieds and see if you can find somebody getting rid of a motor. Check your local junkyards as well. The problem with the junkyard is that the vehicle may be in there for the same problems your having. I'm not sure what a head only goes for but you can usually find a whole motor for less than $1,000 running.

I would think that with that much warpage it would damage the cam bearings in the head-gall them or wear the cam journals. How did they look? By chance did you measure them before dissasembling because then you'd know exactly what clearance you were looking for. There are shops that can heat and return the head mostly back straight. You can lap all the valves yourself if them and the seats look ok then instead of paying him do the valve clearances yourself. Depends on the mileage/warp/etc. my '97 at 159k were all within .001"-which is great in my opinion. mine warped .006" and the bearing surfaces all looked perfect.

There are some reman'd heads on ebay you could consider. If you get one of these, though, you're unlikely to have a perfect set of valve shims anyway since the cams will ride at different heights depending on manufacturing / machining tolerances. Anyway, regardless, I'd do the valve job yourself since it's just time consuming and you don't need to pay a mechanic's hourly wages to do it. Assuming the exhaust and intake are all within the same range, one algorithm you could take is:

1) Mark all lifters with a # and mic the thickness of each. You'll get a table like (don't know what the real numbers will be)
1 - 0.243
2 - 0.245
3 - 0.241
4 - 0.245
24 - 0.238

1a) If you notice that 12 of them fall within one "range" and 12 of them fall within the other, it's safe to assume one group of 12 is the exhaust side and one group is the intake side. I don't know which one will be thicker, so you may have to install one on the exhaust side and check to see if the cam has an enormous gap under it (or constant interference). If it doesn't, you know that group is correct for the exhaust cam.

2) Install a group of 12 somewhat arbitrarily, then measure each clearance value and how much it's over or under it's ideal value for each cylinder. You'll get a new table like:

Exhaust1a -.03
Exhaust1b +.01
Exhaust2a +.03
Exhaust2b -.05
Exhaust3a +.02
Exhaust3b 0
Exhaust 4a +.05
Exhaust 4b -.06
Exhaust 5a +.01
Exhaust 5b -.03
Exhaust 6a -.05
Exhaust 6b +.03

3) Remove the cam and then correlate each valve shim to the chart you made in step 1, making a table like

Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.248
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.241
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240

4) Add the values together so now you have a table like:
Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243 ideal 0.240
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245 ideal 0.246
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241 ideal 0.244
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245 ideal 0.240
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236 - ideal 0.238
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240 - ideal 0.240
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.237 - ideal 0.242
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244 - ideal 0.238
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238 - ideal 0.239
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244 - ideal 0.241
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.246 - ideal 0.241
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240 - ideal 0.243

4) Mix and match as best you can:
Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243 ideal 0.240 (exhaust 2a)
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245 ideal 0.246 (leave)
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241 ideal 0.244 (exhaust 4b)
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245 ideal 0.240 (exhaust 6b)
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236 - ideal 0.238 (leave or consider ordering)
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240 - ideal 0.240 (leave)
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.237 - ideal 0.242 (exhaust 1a)
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244 - ideal 0.238 (exhaust 4a)
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238 - ideal 0.239 (leave)
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244 - ideal 0.241 (order new)
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.246 - ideal 0.241 (order new)
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240 - ideal 0.243 (exhaust 5b)

5) Order your 3 new shims (5b, 6a, maybe 3b) and install.

All great info. But something that hasn't been touched yet is cracks. I had three cracks on my head. Check in the valley and near the valves.

Unless you can find a machine shop that can straighten the head, it's junk. Also $400 for a valve job is high. If I were ypu, I'd find a used head that's straight, have it resurfaced, replace valve seals, lap the valves, and slap it on.

No matter what you do now, it's going to be expensive. Find a shop that is familiar with the 1FZ and send it to them. Even if you buy a new head, it won't come with valves, so you're in basically the same boat you are now.

If you can find a used head, you'll still need to send it out for a valve grind, and have the valves set.

Cometic makes a head gasket that can be ordered thicker to make up for extra machining on the head. Likely expensive but another option.

My advice would be to call Slee or Robbie Antonson(powderpig on ih8mud) and see if they can help and provide a machine shop referral. No option is inexpensive, and a used head is just a start that will still need to go to a competent machine shop to be reworked.

When you say the head is warped 0.015 are you taking the deck surface or are you talking from end to end?

After years of dealing with 7MGTE and 2JZ heads we found that they do "twist" when removed from the block and when you have them straightened out milled back to straight it can actually cause issues once they are torqued down again.

Howard nailed it when he said if there was actually that much warpage in the head the cams would have bound up.

Check the head for cracks, have the valve job done, reset the valve lash and have the surface cleaned and prepped to the correct finish and put the head back on with ARP studs and the updated gasket and you'll be fine.

Nukegoat deserves a beer and a thank you for posting up that information. I don't know if you typed all of that or copied and pasted but that's a good thing you did there. Way above and beyond.
Thanks for the kudos. It's probably not the most efficient approach but it's worth a shot. It also requires a lot of patience :)

Thanks for the quick responses guys. What do you mean when you say the "lash"? When you're talking about having the head straightened out that means something other than just having the surface that sits on the block corrected right?

Setting the valve lash is the space between the shim and the cam

Thanks for the quick responses guys. What do you mean when you say the "lash"? When you're talking about having the head straightened out that means something other than just having the surface that sits on the block corrected right?

iirc there is a process some machine shops can do that involves bolting the head to some kind of frame and baking it in an effort to un-warp it. But i could be confused.

$400 for a head job sounds high to me too.

Where are you located?

Machine shop cost seem to vary alot. I had a hole in the wall shop that does very good work do my head. It had pitting that had to be welded, resurface, valve job, valve clearance set, all for $280 and I tipped them $20.

There are some reman'd heads on ebay you could consider. If you get one of these, though, you're unlikely to have a perfect set of valve shims anyway since the cams will ride at different heights depending on manufacturing / machining tolerances. Anyway, regardless, I'd do the valve job yourself since it's just time consuming and you don't need to pay a mechanic's hourly wages to do it. Assuming the exhaust and intake are all within the same range, one algorithm you could take is:

1) Mark all lifters with a # and mic the thickness of each. You'll get a table like (don't know what the real numbers will be)
1 - 0.243
2 - 0.245
3 - 0.241
4 - 0.245
24 - 0.238

1a) If you notice that 12 of them fall within one "range" and 12 of them fall within the other, it's safe to assume one group of 12 is the exhaust side and one group is the intake side. I don't know which one will be thicker, so you may have to install one on the exhaust side and check to see if the cam has an enormous gap under it (or constant interference). If it doesn't, you know that group is correct for the exhaust cam.

2) Install a group of 12 somewhat arbitrarily, then measure each clearance value and how much it's over or under it's ideal value for each cylinder. You'll get a new table like:

Exhaust1a -.03
Exhaust1b +.01
Exhaust2a +.03
Exhaust2b -.05
Exhaust3a +.02
Exhaust3b 0
Exhaust 4a +.05
Exhaust 4b -.06
Exhaust 5a +.01
Exhaust 5b -.03
Exhaust 6a -.05
Exhaust 6b +.03

3) Remove the cam and then correlate each valve shim to the chart you made in step 1, making a table like

Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.248
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.241
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240

4) Add the values together so now you have a table like:
Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243 ideal 0.240
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245 ideal 0.246
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241 ideal 0.244
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245 ideal 0.240
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236 - ideal 0.238
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240 - ideal 0.240
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.237 - ideal 0.242
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244 - ideal 0.238
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238 - ideal 0.239
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244 - ideal 0.241
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.246 - ideal 0.241
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240 - ideal 0.243

4) Mix and match as best you can:
Exhaust1a -.03 - 0.243 ideal 0.240 (exhaust 2a)
Exhaust1b +.01 - 0.245 ideal 0.246 (leave)
Exhaust2a +.03 - 0.241 ideal 0.244 (exhaust 4b)
Exhaust2b -.05 - 0.245 ideal 0.240 (exhaust 6b)
Exhaust3a +.02 - 0.236 - ideal 0.238 (leave or consider ordering)
Exhaust3b 0 - 0.240 - ideal 0.240 (leave)
Exhaust 4a +.05 - 0.237 - ideal 0.242 (exhaust 1a)
Exhaust 4b -.06 - 0.244 - ideal 0.238 (exhaust 4a)
Exhaust 5a +.01 - 0.238 - ideal 0.239 (leave)
Exhaust 5b -.03 - 0.244 - ideal 0.241 (order new)
Exhaust 6a -.05 - 0.246 - ideal 0.241 (order new)
Exhaust 6b +.03 - 0.240 - ideal 0.243 (exhaust 5b)

5) Order your 3 new shims (5b, 6a, maybe 3b) and install.

Your explanation of the directions in the FSM is spot on.

:cheers:

Read the FSM folks. Everything you need to know about your truck is in those pages.

iirc there is a process some machine shops can do that involves bolting the head to some kind of frame and baking it in an effort to un-warp it. But i could be confused.

$400 for a head job sounds high to me too.

Where are you located?

Ocean County In Jersey

When you say the head is warped 0.015 are you taking the deck surface or are you talking from end to end?

After years of dealing with 7MGTE and 2JZ heads we found that they do "twist" when removed from the block and when you have them straightened out milled back to straight it can actually cause issues once they are torqued down again.

Howard nailed it when he said if there was actually that much warpage in the head the cams would have bound up.

Check the head for cracks, have the valve job done, reset the valve lash and have the surface cleaned and prepped to the correct finish and put the head back on with ARP studs and the updated gasket and you'll be fine.

Hi All, This is John's Dad long time cruiser aficionado and previous owner of his lifted and locked 40th anniversary since 2000.

ChiTown, your post and Howard's gave me some hope. This is what I was thinking also. The warpage was measured by putting a straight edge across the head in various positions and using a feeler gauge underneath. The head is crowned like an arch with the .015 in the middle and I think this has happened once the head has been unbolted from the block. The cam and cam journals are fine and the engine ran well before the head gasket issue. I am really inclined to follow your suggestions of just having the surface prepped and bolting it back with arp studs which should level it back out and have all the cam journals/bearing go right back into place.

Just for everyone's information while the head was not magnafluxed or anything like that, we have already had the machine shop visually check for cracks. With that said, how can a machine shop prep that surface? I have always thought the surface was prepped by a process called decking which my understanding is essentially placing it over a large planer and having the surface shaved until is totally level and flat. If that is the case, the ends will be shaved much more than the middle and the head bolts/studs will never get the chance to re-level the head thus keeping the cam bearings misaligned to the cam journal and binding the cam. Can they prep the head for a flat unblemished surface without decking?

The Heating of the head while bolted to a flat surface to remove the bow sounded promising at first but when I thought about it, that is what caused the bow in the first place isn't it? The head was heated up good while bolted up the flat cast iron block. Do they bolt the head to a concave surface to get it flat at rest once the bolts are removed? Sorry if this is rookie stuff but I just want to get a better grip on the processes to speak intelligently with the machine shops when we call. Again, I am leaning towards Chitowns suggestion of just letting some quality arp studs pull down a cleaned smooth surface onto an updated head gasket.

Machine shop cost seem to vary alot. I had a hole in the wall shop that does very good work do my head. It had pitting that had to be welded, resurface, valve job, valve clearance set, all for $280 and I tipped them $20.

Bsmart were you happy with the work? We may end up sending this head out because we have not found anyone experienced with 1fzfe in the Brick nj area. If you were happy with the work would you mind passing on the contact info? We might as well send it to a shop that does good work at a reasonable price.

Thank you everyone who has contributed so far. Every post has been helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom