A better center console option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.southwestoverland.com
Thinking about cup holders and my crappy center console, which lacks a padded arm rest, has me wondering about mounting the top half of a truck style folding center console like this
image.jpg

How hard/easy is it to replace the center console?

I did mean to post in the 80 tech section. Partially because I was wondering if anyone else had done it and partially because I plan to pursue this as a solution.

in 1999 in Venezuela, Toyota offered a Recaro version of the 80. This version offered top of the line Recaro front seats (upholstered in Toyota OEM cloth), amongst a couple other minor extras.

These were fully adjustable bucket seats. In between these seats, instead of a center console there was a smaller seat that sort of transformed the first row into a bench. This seat was contoured to the backs of the Recaro seat and could be folded down exactly as the one shown in the picture, giving the driver and passenger a padded armrest.

These are fairly rare and I cant find a pic of the setup, so my crappy explanation will have to do..

Cheers,

Luis

The image above is of a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the work truck package seating setup.

Several important considerations...

It has to be narrow enough to fit between the seats (of course), shallow enough to work as an arm rest while being mounted high enough to clear the factory console (removal of which, is an option of course) and last, but not least; ideally the cup holders should be oriented in-line (not side-by-side) on the passenger side so that when cups are in the holders they won't interfere with any shifting duties on or off road.

I measured a friends 2011 F-150 drop down console. I thought it was small compared to others I'd seen. It measures 13" across, 24" long and 7.5" tall. There's a potential to reduce the length if the headrest can be removed so possibly only 21" long.

The space available in the 80 (if the lid of the current console is removed is: 11.5" wide (cloth seats), 20" long (maybe less when shifted into L) and 7.5" tall (MAX) so I'm still on the hunt for a suitable donor. I still haven't dug into the pivot point mechanism. I'm assuming I can just create mounts from the floor to the pivot point as long as there's not a spring loaded mechanism to deal with.

My old Dakota had a smaller middle arm rest/catch all thing. It was a 94' I think. No fancy cup holder though.

Anyway, I like where you are going with this..... :popcorn:

For me a cup holder is mandatory. If necessary I will make my own. I'd just rather not. Stretching fabric/vinyl over a foam/wood/fiberglass creation isn't what I would call fun.

Anyway, I like where you are going with this..... :popcorn:

Thanks. Hopefully it can get some traction with everything else going on in my world... LOL

I've measured a few in the junk yards and plenty will fit but may not look good due to the floor contour of the 80. Also you have the parking brake to deal with. Please post whatever you find. I've scratched my head many times thinking of what do to do. At this point I've been waiting on something to copy. :)

I'm not sure you understand my objective. I simply want to utilize the top half of a fold down console, not a full floor console. This will allow me to lift it up and still fully utilize the factory console compartment, the parking brake, etc. I will definitely be posting up here once I have a solution.

subscribed

"If" the hand-brake could be rerouted to another spot (under steering wheel to the right or maybe a foot pedal) then that opens up a Whole lotta run for enhancements, custom mods, systems from other trucks etc.
However never managed to get anyone that has done this.

"If" the hand-brake could be rerouted to another spot (under steering wheel to the right or maybe a foot pedal) then that opens up a Whole lotta run for enhancements, custom mods, systems from other trucks etc.
However never managed to get anyone that has done this.

I've thought about that. I have no idea how much work it would be to move the hand brake, or where to move it to so I'm taking what appears to be the easier route.

That's nice, but $70 before any fabrication of the floor brackets is a bit steep to me. My local Pull-n-Save sells consoles for $25. I'm going to swing in there and peek around today.

So here's what I found at the junkyard today. Unfortunately there's not much that is really "right" for this concept, but there are a lot of possibilities.

First up a decent looking option from an '01 Buick Century or '02-'04 Impala (maybe more, but those are what I actually saw). An iPhone fits in the driver side square pocket, but not the pass side. Overall dimensions: 19"x7"x6.5"
'01 century - '02-'04 Impala 1.JPG

Then a '98 Cadillac Seville. It's on the small side, but I forgot to measure it :(
'98 Caddy Seville 1.JPG

'98 Caddy Seville 2.JPG

Here's a '97 Bonneville console. Measurements: 19"x8"x4.5" - Although not nearly a match for my brown, this dark charcoal color would "blend" okay with my interior.
'97 Bonneville.JPG

Here's one of my favorites for the spring loaded mechanism, as well as the overall depth of the cup-holders. '07 Volvo S60. Measurements: 15"x9"x5.25"
'07 Volvo S60 1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom