2003 Land Cruiser Build & Adventure Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
After owning three 80 series Land Cruisers over the last eight years, I finally upgraded (downgraded?) to a 100 series. While the 80 is a more robust truck, with closer adherence to the Land Cruiser reputation and legacy, the 100 series is a better family hauler with modern amenities, and plenty capable off road (at least that's what I have been told, we'll see..).

I spent six months looking for my last truck, and I feared this time around would be no exception. Not the case. Within a week after selling my 80, and looking at a couple of rough 100s locally, I found this one up the coast a ways. Seemed to be what I was looking for, with low(er?) miles, good maintenance and condition and within my budget. I picked it up Memorial Day weekend (funny I bought my last truck on Veteran's Day). Completely stock down to the running boards and roof rack.

My plans for this truck are quite different than my last one. That one was built for mainly day trips and more difficult and technical wheeling, while this one will be for longer range exploration and camping trips with the family. Given this, every mod will be strictly evaluated if necessary. I want to keep weight down and fuel mileage up as much as possible, allow easy access for the wife and kids, and still be able to tackle rough terrain when required.

So, without further ado, here it is:

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you! I found a perfect one, dealt with the seller for over a week and then they did it from under me! Man I was pissed, spent three months looking, now I'm back to square one. Hope too but one this summer...

Nice 100!! Looking forward to watching her progress.

Nice color!

Took off the roof rack, running boards, tow hitch and 3rd row seats totaling 200lbs. I think it looks much better, just need to be careful not to ding the rocker panels.

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Step sliders?

Boy - what's in the SD water? Both you and 619TOY after hundy's! You've snagged a nice looking one from the pics. I checked out one for Steve up here locally, but he couldn't pull the trigger before a 'foreign' vacation. Crossed fingers for him that it's still available when he gets back.

get out of here..lol...Damn it,you're just making me want one too.
very nice 100. cant wait to see how you mod it..

what's in the SD water?

I think it's the Tijuana river dumping into our local beaches:mad:

get out of here..lol...Damn it,you're just making me want one too.
very nice 100. cant wait to see how you mod it..

Thanks, to be honest I'm not sure how I will mod it either. I have some ideas, but we'll see. It's a blank slate.

I wasn't sure if I should put this thread here or the San Diego Cruisers page. This just feels more like home.

Took the truck to John at SDTrux today. Got a clean bill of health and some reassurance I made a good purchase :clap:

Started on the PM today. Changed the oil to Mobil1 5W-30 and replaced the spark plugs.

IMAG0136.jpg

Need to clean the TB

IMAG0138.jpg

Congrats on the new ride.

And I wish I could have bought your CE. That thing is bad ass!!!!

I just took my 06 to San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay for the long weekend and it was such a nice drive. Good call on getting a hundy.

looking forward to seeing what you do with it! it is a fine line to draw when modding to not go too far and still make it comfortable for family trips. I struggle with that on my 80 quite a bit. I think of stuff to make it better for offroad but then have to step back and think about whether they are truly necessary for my use. The way my 80 is setup now it really is the best of both worlds.

I think the 100 is a fantastic platform for a family vehicle.

Last edited:
looking forward to seeing what you do with it! it is a fine line to draw when modding to not go too far and still make it comfortable for family trips. I struggle with that on my 80 quite a bit. I think of stuff to make it better for offroad but then have to step back and think about whether they are truly necessary for my use. The way my 80 is setup now it really is the best of both worlds.

That's what I am struggling with. One part of me wants to install bumpers, sliders, lift and tires and run some of my favorite trails, but the other part says armor in critical areas and 33" all-terrain tires. I'm pretty much decided that tires need to come first, then possibly some armor followed by a dual battery setup. I really like the 285/75/18 but will likely stay with some 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. I will install my rack in a few weeks once I get a good feel for the truck completely stock. I want to have a baseline to compare the effects of any mods I make.

Last edited:
IMO, if you are building for an expo rig, maybe look into an arb bumper up front and skip the rear bumper. The ARB is going to help with crash safety IMO. Sliders are always important IMO. Having something below the doors is essential on these longer wheel base trucks.

I plan to stay 285's as well.

If I did it again I would go with a custom high clearance, light weight, tube bumper up front. There is one member on here in UT that is running one, it looks and works great. Unfortunately I have not seen a light weight tube rear bumper that good on a Hundy. You could always run a Slee or BIO without the swing-outs for daily driving then slap them on for a trip. 100 Series are low slung compared to 80's, you will want as much clearance as you can get.

The front bumper decision is tough. The other factor that many people forget about is when you add the approach clearance you also expose the front tires to wind drag. Front bumpers can hurt gas mileage a lot! But they look cool too. Maybe something milder with a small detachable winch that only goes with you when you need it??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom