Restoring Green Bean '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shane, I actually ordered 4 from real steel with the rest of my panels. I didn't know if I would need to replace all 4 but I was sure on 2 so I hedged my bet.

Fixing this rib with my patch panel. I thought they would be almost identical. I think they are dissimilar enough to warrant replacing the whole rib.

1400374928169.jpg

1400374941951.jpg

1400374970176.jpg

1400374989182.jpg

Replaced the rib in full. I think it looks pretty good. I had to weld the bottom of this from the inside of the wheel well, but it still popped due to body filler. Got a new set of burrs that have some pretty small balls that I will be able to really grind the small parts flat.
I think the rib looks pretty good. It might not be 100% perfect but without a ruler I don't think anyone would be able to tell.

1400451959678.jpg

1400451974312.jpg

1400451993148.jpg

1400452010553.jpg

Adam looks like you are progressing well with the rebuild. I will be watching this thread closely as I too have no welding experience and have a BJ42 that needs a bit of work done on her.

Adam looks like you are progressing well with the rebuild. I will be watching this thread closely as I too have no welding experience and have a BJ42 that needs a bit of work done on her.

Thanks Ken, I feel it goes slower then it should. Buy a welder and jump in! That's what I did for the most part. I honestly think the prepping of the panel is more difficult than the welding part. To make sure it's flush and even and ready to weld takes patience and practice.

Man - that looks great. Jumping in is right - at some point, you fire up the welder realizing that you cannot make the situation worse. Once you've honed your skills on the hidden parts (holes under your feet), then you start welding visible panels.

Good stuff - you just jumped right in. That's the same way I got going with mine - just bought a welder and started playing with it to replace my rear sill and rusted quarters. But somehow 3 years have now gone by and I haven't got back to it. :(

How are your floorboards? That's next for me and for $150 the Real Steel floor pan looks like a good option.

Watching you repair and you are doing fine work and learning along the way. I believe there is a weld through primer paint that is on the market under several names and has good and bad reviews. It has been discussed in another thread. Someone should chime in with information, as I need it also.
The design of those bracket is to just hold enough sand and salt to slowly rust the fine metal of the '82. Mine did the same and were completely replaced.
Keep it going.
Shane

If you don't have anything else available, even regular zinkspray will do

More work! Going to have to be a bondo expert to get everything nice and smooth

1401155595718.jpg

1401155674071.jpg

1401155684535.jpg

1401155696297.jpg

Forgot about the top! I will be doing this different on the next 3. I just filled in the holes with the mig, that wasn't great as it was much thinner than I anticipated. I'm replacing it with fresh steel. I also filled in the holes for the roll bar, first by accident and then I went ahead did the rest of them. I'm still on the fence about replacing the capture nuts or just using normal nuts.

1401156991341.jpg

1401157001707.jpg

I like the work you're doing. Tried some welding today and would not post any pictures of it at all. I need a lot of practice.
Keep it going.

I like the work you're doing. Tried some welding today and would not post any pictures of it at all. I need a lot of practice.
Keep it going.

Ha! I can't say I make the prettiest welds. I feel like I'm improving. Prep is the key I've noticed. One bite at a time!

The welding just got some better. Ran out of wire and figured the wire that was on the welder was a sample spool that came with the machine. The welder is over 15 years old.
I have cut and reversed a tail gate latch and need to weld it, so I am about ready to try.
Weld on..

Looks like you are getting there mate. I have just started to teach myself how to MIG weld and I like Coinoperated need a lot of practice. I notice that you seem to just run spot welds and no runs when you patch your part. Is there any reason for this. Keep up the posts and good work.

Looks like you are getting there mate. I have just started to teach myself how to MIG weld and I like Coinoperated need a lot of practice. I notice that you seem to just run spot welds and no runs when you patch your part. Is there any reason for this. Keep up the posts and good work.

I think running spot welds on the thin metal helps from warp. If not someone will point me in the right direction..
Getting back to practice as soon as the family leaves. Did this to get the grill off the wheels. It didn't fall when I put the granite top on, so that was a good sign.
image.jpg

Adam, capture (ie weld) those roll bar nuts in. Just trust me

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom